Cold, Cold, Cold

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Cold, Cold, Cold

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:48 am

We are in for some winter temperatures. Winters (Kentucky) for the last 10 years have rarely had spells in the ZERO range. That is about to change.

The 14 fall calves can access a dry area and shelter. Over the last two years, I have setup a hotwire the calves can get under to access a dry area in front of the shop where the cows don't mess. There are corral panels in the shop to limit where they can wonder.

0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Cold, Cold, Cold

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:15 am

Looks like pampered pets. I'm going to call PETA.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:19 am

Jogeephus wrote:Looks like pampered pets. I'm going to call PETA.

They are That! Halter broke. Most conditioned to handling in the open. About half will come to me for scratches.

I really enjoy playing with them. There is one heifer that head butts. I have to watch her. She can really nail you.

IT IS 8F HERE RIGHT NOW. 5 mph wind!
1 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:26 am

6 am, 4 degrees, not sure about the wind but the big trees are swaying. UGLY!
1 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:26 am

I'm showing 10 degrees. Bed was hard to leave this morning.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

redcowsrule33
Rancher
Rancher

Postby redcowsrule33 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:44 am

Woke up to -12 F this morning, have been under a wind chill advisory since Christmas. We might break 0 F today. Will warm into the teens tomorrow so it can snow then back down. Saturday our predicted high is -6 F. If and when it gets into the 20’s by a week from now it will feel like a heat wave. We were going to vaccinate this weekend but I doubt the needles would stay open. We are used to getting this weather but after the mild early winter we had two weeks in a row is a bit much and hard to take. My biggest concern is the lack of snow. Our water lines are 6’ down but they could freeze if this keeps up.
0 x
The root cause of the majority of the problems in the world today is that common sense is no longer a prerequisite to staying alive.

D2Cat
Rancher
Rancher

Postby D2Cat » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:22 am

6 AM we were 1F. High today predicted 14F.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:25 am

redcowsrule33 wrote:Woke up to -12 F this morning, have been under a wind chill advisory since Christmas. We might break 0 F today. Will warm into the teens tomorrow so it can snow then back down. Saturday our predicted high is -6 F. If and when it gets into the 20’s by a week from now it will feel like a heat wave. We were going to vaccinate this weekend but I doubt the needles would stay open. We are used to getting this weather but after the mild early winter we had two weeks in a row is a bit much and hard to take. My biggest concern is the lack of snow. Our water lines are 6’ down but they could freeze if this keeps up.

That's half of the reason we moved from green bay to seattle in 1947. The other half was dad always said "you don;t have to shovel rain"
1 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:53 am

7:50 and 38. Brrrr it’s cold..... :) :lol:
1 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:11 am

It's 41 and a drizzle, I really need to go check on a couple of new calves, but I'm not going to till it quits raining. I'm sure glad I'm not a cow.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

haase
Rancher
Rancher

Postby haase » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:21 am

-7 real temp -20 wind chill here.
0 x

millstreaminn
Rancher
Rancher

Postby millstreaminn » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:26 am

-4 and brilliant sunshine. Sure looks nice out, but it's not!
0 x
It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:33 am

True Grit Farms wrote:It's 41 and a drizzle, I really need to go check on a couple of new calves, but I'm not going to till it quits raining. I'm sure glad I'm not a cow.

Ummmm....... Been drizzling on and off here for two days......not that it’s an indication of weather your going to get but doesn’t this generally flow your way?

Have some cows I wanted to take a roll of hay. Waited all day yesterday for the weather to get better. Ended up digging some square bales out to tide them over till today. Hope it gets better by this afternoon.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:43 am

1982vett wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:It's 41 and a drizzle, I really need to go check on a couple of new calves, but I'm not going to till it quits raining. I'm sure glad I'm not a cow.

Ummmm....... Been drizzling on and off here for two days......not that it’s an indication of weather your going to get but doesn’t this generally flow your way?

Have some cows I wanted to take a roll of hay. Waited all day yesterday for the weather to get better. Ended up digging some square bales out to tide them over till today. Hope it gets better by this afternoon.

Yes the fronts move from the west to the east. Most of the time the weather peters out by the time it gets this far east, or starts dragging north, especially the rain.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:55 am

DOUBLE DIGITS finally
0 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”