Sam's Club abruptly closes stores nationwide...

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Re: Sam's Club abruptly closes stores nationwide...

Postby Bestoutwest » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:55 pm

Rafter S wrote:I went into a Sam's once and started to fill out the paperwork to become a member, but stopped when it got to the part about the price for an annual membership. I just couldn't make myself pay them money for the privilege of shopping in their store.

This is why I don't have a Costco membership or Amazon Prime. I feel the same way for events at expo centers where you pay a cover charge to get in with the opportunity to buy things.
1 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

danl
Rancher
Rancher

Postby danl » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:16 pm

They built DG about a mile from us, busiest one i have ever seen. It took a while to get the right manager, but it stays clean and organized now.

It mAkes me nervous to see some of the people that are apparently my neighbors shopping there , complete with their ebt cards :(
I didn't have any idea the neighbors were that rough, crackhead is right...

Sure is handy when you run out of charmin,milk or bread. And especially for my wife tootsie rolls. I won't let her go there after dark, and I'm sure as the world packing when I go.
0 x

danl
Rancher
Rancher

Postby danl » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:19 pm

Amazon prime isn't the same imo as a Sam's membership.

Lot of other benefits . Like Dun and his kindle. Cloud storage, movies and music included. Free two day shipping
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:30 pm

danl wrote:Amazon prime isn't the same imo as a Sam's membership.

Lot of other benefits . Like Dun and his kindle. Cloud storage, movies and music included. Free two day shipping

Amazon prime pays for itself in the shipping fees. The Mrs. constantly has something off Amazon going to a grandkid. It’s much cheaper than driving to find what they want.
We are kind of like in the movie O Brother Where Art Thou a geographical oddity located two weeks from anywhere.
0 x

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Coosh71 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:43 pm

I've been in several FD and DG. All seem dirty, poor staff etc. I agree that Costco is prolly the bigger culprit.
And yes when the economy is down for some time people stop buying Mac-N-Cheese by the pallet. But not a bad idea... Dinner, a movie and shot gun shells all in one stop. If they would start selling bulk feed and cattle meds, that would be a list of new stores opening.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:44 pm

[quote="danl"]

It mAkes me nervous to see some of the people that are apparently my neighbors shopping there , complete with their ebt cards :(
I didn't have any idea the neighbors were that rough, crackhead is right... ..........Makes me nervous to see my neighbors working there... Course it ain't for long, they can change careers a mile up the road..
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:08 pm

Our Family Dollar is very clean, neatly organized and well ran except for the cashier and all her smoke breaks. Dollar General is dirty, isles to close, never enough cashiers and probably has three times the business our FD does. Makes no sense to me.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:22 pm

slick4591 wrote:Our Family Dollar is very clean, neatly organized and well ran except for the cashier and all her smoke breaks. Dollar General is dirty, isles to close, never enough cashiers and probably has three times the business our FD does. Makes no sense to me.

Their constantly moving the slower moving products around...
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:52 pm

Well here's my rant: Evidently Walmart is trying to cut down on shoplifting and now the greeters are also checking receipts. Today was the 4th time I've been stopped on my way out of the store with a cart full of dog/cat food, household products, etc. When I asked if this was a new policy he said they now randomly check, especially carts with items not bagged. Ummm, half the cart was bagged & it was clear I just left the checkout. As a general rule I don't fit the People of Walmart profile, the exception was the awkward moment after I made an impromptu trip to town and realized after 30 minutes of being in the store I was wearing the jeans with the back pocket ripped off, exposing a large portion of my left butt cheek & fave undies. The greeter/Barney Fife-wannabe explained that they make a point not to profile potential shoplifters but they're doing it badly; the equivalent of patting down a 90 year old woman at the airport. I can see why a lot of people are now doing a large portion of their shopping on the net.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:35 pm

"
Well here's my rant: Evidently Walmart is trying to cut down on shoplifting and now the greeters are also checking receipts. Today was the 4th time I've been stopped on my way out of the store with a cart full of dog/cat food, household products, etc.

They've been sporadically doing that here for as long as I can remember. Some days there's someone there looking at receipts on your way out, other days no greeter there at all, coming in or going out.
All of them are in about the same shape and age I am, so I dunno what they would do if they caught someone that had a few items they didn't pay for.

I thought they would increase the number of times they had receipt monitors when walmart went to so many self checkouts, but there seem to be even fewer now.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

melking
GURU
GURU

Postby melking » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:03 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:Costco is kicking Sam's butt not the two you referenced.

Yeah, that is what I thought. Much cleaner better stocked stores.
0 x
One thing you will never hear a southern boy say....Duct tape won't fix that, except, even duct tape can't fix stupid. It can, however, muffle it.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:57 pm

greybeard wrote:"
Well here's my rant: Evidently Walmart is trying to cut down on shoplifting and now the greeters are also checking receipts. Today was the 4th time I've been stopped on my way out of the store with a cart full of dog/cat food, household products, etc.

They've been sporadically doing that here for as long as I can remember. Some days there's someone there looking at receipts on your way out, other days no greeter there at all, coming in or going out.
All of them are in about the same shape and age I am, so I dunno what they would do if they caught someone that had a few items they didn't pay for.

I thought they would increase the number of times they had receipt monitors when walmart went to so many self checkouts, but there seem to be even fewer now.

Ours used to have a 101 year old woman as the greeter, her husband worked in Lawn/Garden until he was 102. :)

This is a small town and I'm in there every week so it's not like they don't recognize me. The woman that stopped me today did say they are thinking about eliminating that position so presumably that's why they are all the sudden becoming more diligent.
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:35 pm

Few years back Walmart here in town stopped using their self checkouts, heard somebody say it was in response to so much being stolen, don't know for sure but sounded logical. As of 2-3 years ago they have them back in operation. It is not uncommon to see police officers there responding to shoplifters. Around Christmas time we were going in a Walmart in a neighboring town, at the same time the alarm was going off and the greeter/monitor was hollering at a young man to stop, but he apparently just kept on going.

Have only been in Sam's Club once, went one evening to get some supplies for our church. When leaving a monitor waved us on, and we happened to go to the service counter, to ask a question about the membership as we just a temporary one from the church at the time. As we were going out the door we overheard the same monitor being what we thought to be very rude and condescending to a Spanish speaking lady with children. She was being accused of trying to hide some items in the buggy. Have no idea if that was true or not but I am sure that the company would not approve of the actions of the employee if indeed she was profiling based on a personal view.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:11 pm

Ky hills wrote:Have only been in Sam's Club once, went one evening to get some supplies for our church. When leaving a monitor waved us on, and we happened to go to the service counter, to ask a question about the membership as we just a temporary one from the church at the time. As we were going out the door we overheard the same monitor being what we thought to be very rude and condescending to a Spanish speaking lady with children. She was being accused of trying to hide some items in the buggy. Have no idea if that was true or not but I am sure that the company would not approve of the actions of the employee if indeed she was profiling based on a personal view.

And yet I'm being "reverse profiled". I'm not condoning rude and condescending behavior and I'm sure it was humiliating to the woman in your example if she was indeed innocent. How do you think it makes me feel, as a middle aged white woman that generally cleans up okay, when I'm stopped while someone else wearing pajamas in public and doesn't appear to have bathed within the week is allowed to leave without their receipt being checked? There is no easy answer in today's society where everything/everyone is supposed to be politically correct and generally over compensating to prove they're not racist/bigots/profiling (pick a noun).
1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:37 pm

TCRanch wrote:
Ky hills wrote:Have only been in Sam's Club once, went one evening to get some supplies for our church. When leaving a monitor waved us on, and we happened to go to the service counter, to ask a question about the membership as we just a temporary one from the church at the time. As we were going out the door we overheard the same monitor being what we thought to be very rude and condescending to a Spanish speaking lady with children. She was being accused of trying to hide some items in the buggy. Have no idea if that was true or not but I am sure that the company would not approve of the actions of the employee if indeed she was profiling based on a personal view.

And yet I'm being "reverse profiled". I'm not condoning rude and condescending behavior and I'm sure it was humiliating to the woman in your example if she was indeed innocent. How do you think it makes me feel, as a middle aged white woman that generally cleans up okay, when I'm stopped while someone else wearing pajamas in public and doesn't appear to have bathed within the week is allowed to leave without their receipt being checked? There is no easy answer in today's society where everything/everyone is supposed to be politically correct and generally over compensating to prove they're not racist/bigots/profiling (pick a noun).

The problem is the thieves and lack of punishment when they do get caught. Ask the door man next time they want to check your receipt, do I look like a thief to you?
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Return to “Coffee Shop”