Swiss say you can't put live lobsters in boiling water any more

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Dave
GURU
GURU

Re: Swiss say you can't put live lobsters in boiling water any more

Postby Dave » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:16 am

Bullitt wrote:
HSTexas wrote:
You can usually get plenty for free , you just tell them you have a rescue , kill skin and have a Texas BBQ . After a couple beers people don't care what it is as long as its good.

Are you saying you butcher the horse yourself?

I asked where you can buy horse meat in the United States. I do not know of any restaurant that serves horse meat or market that sells horse meat.

If you barbecue a horse in Texas they would probably run you out of the state.

I have eaten horse a couple times. Knew a guy who was a buyer when there was a kill plant here. I got a few steaks from him. And back when I was riding bucking horses we had a practice horse break its neck. Most of the meat fed my buddy's dogs but we took out the back strap. It is OK. Not my favorite but not bad. I have a SIL who is darn sure a cowboy. People give him crippled horses. He feeds them up for a while and puts them in the freezer. He says the price is right.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:44 am

It is strictly the emotional that prevents eating horse in the US. It;s common in europe. Different cultures have different views on what they eat. In India cattle are sacred, in some asian countrys dog and cat is regular fair.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:49 am

All that lean beef we import to mix with our excess beef fat....isn't all beef. Only 140,000 horse's were shipped across our borders for slaughter last year. Mexico produced just under 100,000 TONS of horse meat last year.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

HSTexas
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby HSTexas » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:09 am

I've never met a fellow Texan that questions the meat at the BBQ. All animals are meat and all animals are consumed in the USA. We should lobby our Congress to fund USDA for horse slaughter. If you have an aversion to horse dog or cat . make sure you know who is preparing the meal very well. They might be pulling a fast one .
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:08 pm

My wife lived in Brussels for about 5 years when she was a girl (well over 40 years ago). She still talks about how good the French Fries were there. Apparently they were commonly fried in horse fat.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:19 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:All that lean beef we import to mix with our excess beef fat....isn't all beef. Only 140,000 horse's were shipped across our borders for slaughter last year. Mexico produced just under 100,000 TONS of horse meat last year.

Must have been shipped OUT :

"There are currently no establishments in the United States that slaughter horses, and FSIS does not allow imports of horse meat from other countries for human consumption," said Brian Mabry, USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service in a statement. "None of the countries and companies referenced in the EU export beef to the United States."
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:56 pm

David Foster Wallace once went to the Maine Lobster Festival and made some interesting observations surrounding the culture of eating lobster. It's been a couple years and several books ago, but the biggest takeaway I had was that we, society, give names to animals we feel are more intelligent, but still eat, such as pork for pig, beef for cattle, etc, and leave "stupid" animals named as they are. For that reason, Americans will never get to know what it's like to have Filet O Fido, or Horse Hamburger, which I find very interesting.

Here's the essay if you'd like to read it:
http://www.columbia.edu/~col8/lobsterarticle.pdf

For the record I don't eat seafood, I find the taste off-putting. If you need to drown something in butter to eat it, you might as well just eat straight butter. I couldn't care less if you throw them in the pot "still alive."
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:08 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:David Foster Wallace once went to the Maine Lobster Festival and made some interesting observations surrounding the culture of eating lobster. It's been a couple years and several books ago, but the biggest takeaway I had was that we, society, give names to animals we feel are more intelligent, but still eat, such as pork for pig, beef for cattle, etc, and leave "stupid" animals named as they are. For that reason, Americans will never get to know what it's like to have Filet O Fido, or Horse Hamburger, which I find very interesting.

Here's the essay if you'd like to read it:
http://www.columbia.edu/~col8/lobsterarticle.pdf

For the record I don't eat seafood, I find the taste off-putting. If you need to drown something in butter to eat it, you might as well just eat straight butter. I couldn't care less if you throw them in the pot "still alive."

Sure glad there's no many like you running around. Do you any fish? We eat a lot of poached fish cooked in water only, and grilled trout - salmon over the coals of a campfire.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:30 pm

Meh, I don't have to look farther than this to see what you guys are looking at for laws.. and your morons with "Milk is murder", etc...
http://www.humanesociety.org/about/depa ... google.ca/
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:25 pm

Nesikep wrote:Meh, I don't have to look farther than this to see what you guys are looking at for laws.. and your morons with "Milk is murder", etc...
http://www.humanesociety.org/about/depa ... google.ca/

I've seen first hand the destruction of wild horses and burros. One area in the Panamint mountains had a viable (unhunted) desert big horn sheep population. When the horse shooting stopped the sheep vanished. Wild horses and burros will protect/guard a water supply from other animals. In the 60s they were just shot and left to rot in most cases, not a pretty sight but it did manage the population. Then this "wild horse annie" crap got started. Big horn sheep populations, desert mule deer populations all started declining. It wasn;t fee/browse, it was the unavailability of water.
1 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:21 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Sure glad there's no many like you running around. Do you any fish? We eat a lot of poached fish cooked in water only, and grilled trout - salmon over the coals of a campfire.

I don't do fish. My folks never made it growing up, and the one time I've had it as an adult it was undercooked and not good. But, hey, look at it like this-more for you. We could go out for a surf and turf and you can have all my surf, I'll stay with the turf.
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:43 pm

greybeard wrote:http://www.newsweek.com/lobsters-may-feel-pain-illegal-boil-them-alive-switzerland-778122

I ain't trying to be "zenophobic' or anything, but have the hot cocoa folks lost their minds?
"“If stunned electrically or if the brain is destroyed mechanically they are effectively dead,”"
You have to find some way to either 'mechanically or electrically' stun them first....like bashing their brains out I suppose.
You also can't transport them on ice or in 'ice water'.
#lobsterlivesmatter?

I'm not even sure they have a brain....

If this comes to America, I wonder what it bodes for a 40lb sack of hundreds of live Louisiana crawfish?
Icepick?

Here, check out some of your stupid laws
http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/texas
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:12 pm

I used to work with a guy from Oklahoma that wouldn't eat anything that came out of the water, but I can't imagine not liking shrimp. I'll never forget the first time I went bay fishing. I came back home and was describing it to my father, including the part about using live bait. He looked at me and said "Let me make sure I understand this. You had shrimp right there in your hand, and you put a hook in them and threw them back in the water?"
Last edited by Rafter S on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:15 pm

Swiss are far from the first to pass a law as to how to humanely kill lobster.
In 2005 Italy was the first and New Zealand did too several years ago.

We shouldn't need a law to tell us it's only right to minimize the suffering of any animal being killed and especially
one slaughtered for food. Better chefs have been trying to do it as quickly and painlessly as possible for years in the
belief that throwing a lobster alive into a pot of boiling water causes the muscles to seize and the meat to toughen.

Perhaps stunning is the best option, but from watching cooking shows on TV; refrigeration (not freezing) to slow the
metabolism, a large chef's knife to quickly split the head/skull and straight into a pot of boiling water seems to do the
trick. Plus chefs say the meat comes of the pot more tender, so maybe there is something to it.

Countertop stun guns for restaurant use in Switzerland are readily available.
The other method for home cooks should suffice.
Why cause any possible additional suffering if a little bit of forethought can prevent it?
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:28 pm

dun wrote:It is strictly the emotional that prevents eating horse in the US. It;s common in europe. Different cultures have different views on what they eat. In India cattle are sacred, in some asian countrys dog and cat is regular fair.

And everybody knows cats make the best tacos. :hide:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Return to “Coffee Shop”