Squeeze Chutes

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Squeeze Chutes

Postby wacocowboy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:57 am

So I like watching Dr Pol very interesting show. I have noticed something 90% of the time when they go to these farms to do something with a cow they ain’t got a squeeze chute. They are pushing them up in a corner with some old junk panels or a rope. The dude was palpating at a sale barn and all they had is an old wood alley with a board behind the cow. Is that how you Yankees roll? Down here every one I know has a chute and definitely every sale barn has one. Also the pens at most of these places are a joke. No offense meant just curious.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Squeeze Chutes

Postby dun » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:54 am

I think a couple of things come into play.First they have to make the show entertaining and second most of the people are either dairy or backyard beef producers with only a few cows.
3 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:51 am

I love the show.
I don't think there is a vet out here that would chase cattle, put their own halters on the cow, etc. I would think - no facilities, no vet. Vets out here mainly only handle dairy cattle. They are used to being warm & comfortable.
Sale barns near me have great facilities.
He is in REAL backyard rural area, I'm guessing.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:05 am

Kentucky producers: most have handling facilities with headgates at a minimum and most have squeeze chutes or as Ken calls them - a crush.

The cost share program has made a dramatic increase in the number of modern facilities. Depending on the county, it pays 50 % of the cost.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:44 am

We don't have squeeze chutes. And have only had headgate s for about the last ten years. And some of my cattle are a little rank. You can sure get by without just fine.
We've got quite a few cattle nowadays. If they ever get back were there worth something i might buy one. It's not very high on my list though.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:05 am

callmefence wrote:We don't have squeeze chutes. And have only had headgate s for about the last ten years. And some of my cattle are a little rank. You can sure get by without just fine.
We've got quite a few cattle nowadays. If they ever get back were there worth something i might buy one. It's not very high on my list though.

Do you have an alleyway with headlock? I totally agree you do not need a mechanical sqeeze chute or a pipe chute. I do have an old chute (not squeeze). They are a lot nicer than an alley-type system as far as being able to "get" to their body/feet/udder. Both my sides open up completely.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:12 am

Love watching Dr Pol! We have a chute at the barn but it's about 50/50 whether our vet uses it on a house call, contingent on the situation and the cow. My girls are used to being handled and sometimes he doesn't need it for a physical exam (stifle or back injury, etc) and sometimes he just uses a halter & ties it to a post.
0 x

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ez14. » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:12 am

I believe Dr poll operates about an hour and a half North and a little East of me! But Around here most people don't have more then just a few cows making it hard to justify much equipment! So there might be a little exaggeration going on but there are a lot of places around that are really like that!

But we don't have cable tv so I don't watch the show
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:21 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
callmefence wrote:We don't have squeeze chutes. And have only had headgate s for about the last ten years. And some of my cattle are a little rank. You can sure get by without just fine.

Do you have an alleyway with headlock? I totally agree you do not need a mechanical sqeeze chute or a pipe chute. I do have an old chute (not squeeze). They are a lot nicer than an alley-type system as far as being able to "get" to their body/feet/udder. Both my sides open up completely.

Yes and I build a heavy pipe gate that swings in and out behind the headgate.
I can put it bit of a squeeze on em. Or open it up.
When I build for customer I recommend every section of the alley be able to open up. If youve ever had one go down in the alley you know why.

But there was a time that we would snub em to a post or a tree. It certainly wasn't desirable but we did it all the time. I remember the old man losing some teeth when I was pretty small.
1 x

David Crockett

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:48 am

"Yes and I build a heavy pipe gate that swings in and out behind the headgate.
When I build for customer I recommend every section of the alley be able to open up. If youve ever had one go down in the alley you know why.

But there was a time that we would snub em to a post or a tree. It certainly wasn't desirable but we did it all the time. I remember the old man losing some teeth when I was pretty small."
I "assumed" you had good facilities. You don't need "fancy", you need SAFE. Great idea having each section open up.

Back in the 70's, my husband learned how to AI in Kansas. He started breeding for people. "Most" people that had beef cattle back then, did NOT have any facilities. The vets had a chute with gates/coral system that they hauled around the country. So, when the beef producers around decided they wanted to try AI, they would put a rope on them & snub them to a tree. We would chase the cow around the tree until she was snubbed up tight & he would breed them. Bred several laying down!!!
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:50 am

i don't see how you can't have facilities. My cows all started absorbing calves since I wasn't giving lepto shots.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:37 am

wacocowboy wrote:So I like watching Dr Pol very interesting show. I have noticed something 90% of the time when they go to these farms to do something with a cow they ain’t got a squeeze chute. They are pushing them up in a corner with some old junk panels or a rope. The dude was palpating at a sale barn and all they had is an old wood alley with a board behind the cow. Is that how you Yankees roll? Down here every one I know has a chute and definitely every sale barn has one. Also the pens at most of these places are a joke. No offense meant just curious.

Waco I don't have a squeeze chute but do have a head gate. Never even use the head gate unless I'm doing something to the head. Otherwise we just push the cow up to the headgate, put a pipe or post behind her and do what ever needs to be done from vaccinations, doctoring, breeding, palpating, whatever. Wouldn't know how to act around a squeeze chute.....(Also did it this way when milking cows).
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:05 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:"Yes and I build a heavy pipe gate that swings in and out behind the headgate.

But there was a time that we would snub em to a post or a tree. It certainly wasn't desirable but we did it all the time. I remember the old man losing some teeth when I was pretty small."
I "assumed" you had good facilities. You don't need "fancy", you need SAFE. Great idea having each section open up.

Back in the 70's, my husband learned how to AI in Kansas. He started breeding for people. "Most" people that had beef cattle back then, did NOT have any facilities. The vets had a chute with gates/coral system that they hauled around the country. So, when the beef producers around decided they wanted to try AI, they would put a rope on them & snub them to a tree. We would chase the cow around the tree until she was snubbed up tight & he would breed them. Bred several laying down!!!

Yeah about my pens.... think the mechanics car.
0 x

David Crockett

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:20 am

callmefence wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:"Yes and I build a heavy pipe gate that swings in and out behind the headgate.

Yeah about my pens.... think the mechanics car.

Worry not Fence.....gotta find some use for those old wood pallets and bed springs. :lol2: :lol2: :hide:
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:52 am

When we were in practice in southern middle TN, back in the late 80s, the UT Extension folks did a survey... 70+% of cattle producers had no real working facilities... no corral, no headgate, no chute.
I believe it. We used a dadgum tranquilizer gun way more than I ever wanted to.
I was no hand with a rope, but if they were closed up in an old tobacco barn, and I threw enough times, I'd eventually get a loop on one and be able to snub her up to a post.
Did many a C-section with the cow rolled up on her back and tied to the brushguard on the front of the practice truck.
Some folks had NOTHING. I always wondered how they ever managed to get anything hauled off to the salebarn.
2 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”