Is this a sign

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Is this a sign

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:43 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:There are folks around here who say a slice of hedge Apple per day will put cancer in remission.

By eating it?

Yes
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:18 pm

The counter top guy will be here in a little bit. So, the next let down will be price, my prediction. I'm willing to pay up to 3500, and that would have to be me doing very little. I can save money by taking out the old counter top. She said, around 300... I'd almost rather do that just to keep the mess and damage down. We're working on the dining room right now too, so the house is a mess. Been cleaning the laundry room because I want to move my meat slicer into there. I only used it a couple times a year so no need for it to take up counter space. I have kind of a second kitchen in my laundry room anyway, its time I use it....So far my laundry room has been a catch all room. There is no need for that anymore, trying to downsize and not bring much else into my house.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:44 pm

ohiosteve wrote:
Workinonit Farm wrote:
farmerjan wrote:I am going to ask a real dumb question. What is bodock? is it a local name for a type of tree? I cannot seem to associate it with any tree we have here in Va or that I was used to up north in Ct or Vt.

Jan, we don't have Bois d'ark trees here in Va. They are not in Vt or Ct either.

Around here we call them Osage orange trees. Some call them hedge apples. They are the best firewood on Earth. Tough on a chain saw but surprisingly easy to split.

Thank you Steve, I stand corrected. We DO indeed have Osage Orange here, in Va. :)
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:23 pm

Workinonit: when I read that they were called Osage orange I was wondering. I have seen some that were called that. So I googled them and yes, they are what I have seen. A neighbor made a big wreath of them by running a wire through them and hung it on the side of their old log building. I wondered what they were good for. Are they edible? Do they smell like oranges?
Never did see them in Ct or Vt though. Didn't know the wood was so nice. They make a mess in the fall where there are a couple along the road near a farm I test.
0 x

D2Cat
Rancher
Rancher

Postby D2Cat » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:48 pm

A couple of years ago somebody was selling hedge apple seeds, 25ea for $1 on Ebay. If you could find the buyers finding the seeds wouldn't be the problem!
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:39 pm

farmerjan wrote:Workinonit: when I read that they were called Osage orange I was wondering. I have seen some that were called that. So I googled them and yes, they are what I have seen. A neighbor made a big wreath of them by running a wire through them and hung it on the side of their old log building. I wondered what they were good for. Are they edible? Do they smell like oranges?
Never did see them in Ct or Vt though. Didn't know the wood was so nice. They make a mess in the fall where there are a couple along the road near a farm I test.

No, they do not smell like oranges...Rodents love eating them, my horse loves them. Looks like they are filled with elmers glue and are terribly sticky. Taste, I cant tell you what they taste like, but no one uses them for cooking so i'm guessing they taste bad..
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:05 am

Too tough, fibrous, slimy and pithy to eat.
I guess, if one were absolutely starving, they could dig the seeds out and eat them.
Squirrels seem to like them.
I can tell from experience too, that it hurts to get hit in the head by one thrown in a horseapple fight.
They make sorry softballs tho, if you were poor like we were.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:18 am

Apparently they make good table ornaments....
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:46 am

I'm still waitnig on a quote. Getting ready for the letdown
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:04 pm

This is a bois d'arc counter top we made for the upstairs bathroom. I applied epoxy over it so it will keep its neon yellow color. We made the tiny little molding to go around the joints. I find it easy to work with. Now, if you try to make something from a old post, that's totally different.

Still waiting on the call with my estimate. I'm thinking the guy is experimenting on the drain boards I want so he'll know what to charge me. He's never made drain board grooves, which really scares me. He said they are skilled with a blade. Well, I don't want it to look like someone took a blade and cut lines in my counter top.... The more I think about it the more i'm thinking i'll make it of wood.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:25 pm

5000.00. Ugh
0 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”