Gun Talk

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5683
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Gun Talk

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:57 pm

I am pro gun, pro carry, have worked with armed federal officials in an enforcement environment, and have engaged persons using or threatening to use lethal force against federal enforcement actions.

I have had CC permits from Montana, the City and County of Denver, and Kentucky. I probably have not carried concealed for more than 100 hours total in my entire lifetime.

Candidly, I am by nature not paranoid or insecure. Being very open, this is just my gut feeling - I think many who carry are playing out their childhood aspirations of being John Wayne. I acknowledge that there are legitimate circumstances to be prepared and armed. I have been there, done that. However, how many people are conducting their daily lives in an environment that warrants being armed? Think about this, Do you wear a crash helmet while driving? I know that sounds crass but the likelihood of it saving your life in a wreck far outweighs the protection benefit of the gun you carry.

I find CC a PITA. I realize that you get accustom to it. The question is - Is the juice worth the squeeze?

PS: I acknowledge most users here feel like their life is in constant danger and I am sympathetic, but I simply don't feel that threat.
8 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1601
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:29 pm
Location: Cambridge, Ohio

Re: Gun Talk

Postby M.Magis » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:05 pm

What's the question here? If I'm in town, I carry. Until I can predict the future, there's no way to know if there's a need. That's like saying no need for a seat belt if you don't expect to crash.
0 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5683
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Gun Talk

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:06 pm

M.Magis wrote:What's the question here? If I'm in town, I carry. Until I can predict the future, there's no way to know if there's a need. That's like saying no need for a seat belt if you don't expect to crash.


Not a question. I do expect feedback and yours is very helpful.

So you only carry in town. That makes sense.
0 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1601
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:29 pm
Location: Cambridge, Ohio

Re: Gun Talk

Postby M.Magis » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:09 pm

Ok, I thought there was a question I didn't understand.
I'd venture a guess that VAST majority of people that have needed their CC weapon left the house assuming they'd never need it.
Meth heads these days are something everyone should consider. They do crazy shyt.
3 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5683
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Gun Talk

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:13 pm

M.Magis wrote:Ok, I thought there was a question I didn't understand.
I'd venture a guess that VAST majority of people that have needed their CC weapon left the house assuming they'd never need it.
Meth heads these days are something everyone should consider. They do crazy shyt.


What would be funny if someone responds that they don't feel threatened, they just love to play John Wayne. Lol
2 x

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6444
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: Gun Talk

Postby M-5 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:14 pm

DId those kids last week think their lives were in danger??

Do you leave the gate open in your cow lot ?? how do you know the cows wont stay in??

Do you keep your driver license in your wallet?? When was the last time you were stopped and needed it??

I have no grand visions of being john wayne , He was just an actor . I do however have the desire to be a good person and with that I would protect or try too protect innocent people including strangers . I am a self starter I do not have to be told what to do on a daily BASIS I hope I never have to be put in that situation. I feel safe every day in my travels but until the day comes that every lunatic is locked up I can not be sure something wont happen. How many times have you heard "we didn't expect that to Happen. "
6 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22286
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Gun Talk

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:42 pm

M-5 wrote:DId those kids last week think their lives were in danger??

Do you leave the gate open in your cow lot ?? how do you know the cows wont stay in??

Do you keep your driver license in your wallet?? When was the last time you were stopped and needed it??

I have no grand visions of being john wayne , He was just an actor . I do however have the desire to be a good person and with that I would protect or try too protect innocent people including strangers . I am a self starter I do not have to be told what to do on a daily BASIS I hope I never have to be put in that situation. I feel safe every day in my travels but until the day comes that every lunatic is locked up I can not be sure something wont happen. How many times have you heard "we didn't expect that to Happen. "



You took the bait.
My guess the original post was for the reason to stir the pot only.
0 x

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6444
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: Gun Talk

Postby M-5 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:51 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
M-5 wrote:DId those kids last week think their lives were in danger??

Do you leave the gate open in your cow lot ?? how do you know the cows wont stay in??

Do you keep your driver license in your wallet?? When was the last time you were stopped and needed it??

I have no grand visions of being john wayne , He was just an actor . I do however have the desire to be a good person and with that I would protect or try too protect innocent people including strangers . I am a self starter I do not have to be told what to do on a daily BASIS I hope I never have to be put in that situation. I feel safe every day in my travels but until the day comes that every lunatic is locked up I can not be sure something wont happen. How many times have you heard "we didn't expect that to Happen. "



You took the bait.
My guess the original post was for the reason to stir the pot only.


Most likely but everyone should know by now I'm always up for a fight .
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22286
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Gun Talk

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:00 pm

I understand as I don’t step out the house without a 357.
Between rattlesnakes,hogs and feral dumped dogs you better have something.
2 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5683
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Gun Talk

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:02 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
M-5 wrote:DId those kids last week think their lives were in danger??

Do you leave the gate open in your cow lot ?? how do you know the cows wont stay in??

Do you keep your driver license in your wallet?? When was the last time you were stopped and needed it??

I have no grand visions of being john wayne , He was just an actor . I do however have the desire to be a good person and with that I would protect or try too protect innocent people including strangers . I am a self starter I do not have to be told what to do on a daily BASIS I hope I never have to be put in that situation. I feel safe every day in my travels but until the day comes that every lunatic is locked up I can not be sure something wont happen. How many times have you heard "we didn't expect that to Happen. "



You took the bait.
My guess the original post was for the reason to stir the pot only.


A little cookin going on. :D. But the feeling is sincere. I don't identify with the sense of danger some posters convey on other threads. For me personally, the juice ain't worth the squeeze.
1 x

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6444
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: Gun Talk

Postby M-5 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:22 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
M-5 wrote:DId those kids last week think their lives were in danger??

Do you leave the gate open in your cow lot ?? how do you know the cows wont stay in??

Do you keep your driver license in your wallet?? When was the last time you were stopped and needed it??

I have no grand visions of being john wayne , He was just an actor . I do however have the desire to be a good person and with that I would protect or try too protect innocent people including strangers . I am a self starter I do not have to be told what to do on a daily BASIS I hope I never have to be put in that situation. I feel safe every day in my travels but until the day comes that every lunatic is locked up I can not be sure something wont happen. How many times have you heard "we didn't expect that to Happen. "



You took the bait.
My guess the original post was for the reason to stir the pot only.


A little cookin going on. :D. But the feeling is sincere. I don't identify with the sense of danger some posters convey on other threads. For me personally, the juice ain't worth the squeeze.


BR , when was the last time you had an injury or accident on the farm. Could it have been prevented ?? did you know you were going to have the accident and said to heII with it I want to be injured ?? If you never leave the farm then I can understand but if you venture into town any you never know what might happen. How would you feel if something happened to a beautiful lady and you had the opportunity to do something and because you were not armed she died in front of you..
1 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3724
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia

Re: Gun Talk

Postby wbvs58 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:59 pm

BR, Ron, I think you have made a pretty fair statement of how you feel. I am interested to here how other people feel, not them trying to change your ways but how they go about their business with CC.

I am only looking as an outsider obviously but with all the people in the US that have a licence for CC, how come we don't hear of more incidents where these horrific events are snuffed out by a responsible citizen before much damage is done?

Ken
1 x

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11229
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY

Re: Gun Talk

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:04 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:I understand as I don’t step out the house without a 357.
Between rattlesnakes,hogs and feral dumped dogs you better have something.


Who the he!! dumps feral dogs?
1 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

User avatar
holm25
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 262
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:46 pm

Re: Gun Talk

Postby holm25 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:05 pm

wbvs58 wrote:BR, Ron, I think you have made a pretty fair statement of how you feel. I am interested to here how other people feel, not them trying to change your ways but how they go about their business with CC.

I am only looking as an outsider obviously but with all the people in the US that have a licence for CC, how come we don't hear of more incidents where these horrific events are snuffed out by a responsible citizen before much damage is done?

Ken


A lot of people don’t care 24/7... And too many places are gun free zones these days...
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4381
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Gun Talk

Postby callmefence » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:07 pm

Bright Raven wrote:I am pro gun, pro carry, have worked with armed federal officials in an enforcement environment, and have engaged persons using or threatening to use lethal force against federal enforcement actions.

I have had CC permits from Montana, the City and County of Denver, and Kentucky. I probably have not carried concealed for more than 100 hours total in my entire lifetime.

Candidly, I am by nature not paranoid or insecure. Being very open, this is just my gut feeling - I think many who carry are playing out their childhood aspirations of being John Wayne. I acknowledge that there are legitimate circumstances to be prepared and armed. I have been there, done that. However, how many people are conducting their daily lives in an environment that warrants being armed? Think about this, Do you wear a crash helmet while driving? I know that sounds crass but the likelihood of it saving your life in a wreck far outweighs the protection benefit of the gun you carry.

I find CC a PITA. I realize that you get accustom to it. The question is - Is the juice worth the squeeze?

PS: I acknowledge most users here feel like their life is in constant danger and I am sympathetic, but I simply don't feel that threat.


I agree to some extent on the John Wayne complex. You can tell them quite easily. They can't shut up about what they carry and how they carry.
Kinda showing your cards in my opinion.
I might talk about my hunting iron.
But nobody but my wife knows about my defense arsenal.
5 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett


Return to “Coffee Shop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests