Gun Talk

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
zirlottkim
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Gun Talk

Postby zirlottkim » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:52 pm

Too busy lately to keep up with all the gun rhetoric. But I read this somewhere...not even sure who's quote, but make sense to me.
“If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn’t plan your mission properly.” I wonder how these women would have fared out if they were not armed? http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/mother- ... y-53335023
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:05 am

zirlottkim wrote:Too busy lately to keep up with all the gun rhetoric. But I read this somewhere...not even sure who's quote, but make sense to me.
“If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn’t plan your mission properly.” I wonder how these women would have fared out if they were not armed? http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/mother- ... y-53335023

If they (and everyone else there I suppose) had just moved from Tulsa everything would have been fine. Yeah..that's the ticket. If trouble comes......just move. That's how we solve problems in America....we just..... move.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:11 am

I think if tighter gun laws were to be brought into the US it would be very messy and unlikely to have any effect on shootings, crime and terrorism. When Australia brought in our gun legislation there was not the widespread gun ownership that occurs in the US, handguns and automatic weapons were more difficult to own even before the new legislation. It mostly tidied up the old hand me down guns that were lying in the bottom of cupboards and never saw the light of day, people took the opportunity of the amnesty to hand them in. Those of us that wanted to keep our guns had to go through the licence process and meet the requirements of gun storage.

I think with your widespread gun ownership and the unlimited types of firearms it would take many decades of tighter control to bring the availability of firearms down where it would make any significant impact on these shootings.

Ken
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:58 am

I think you are right Ken. Australia has been used as a sort of success story for lefties saying it worked well there and it can work here. I've also seen statistics showing your crime rate has gone up since it took place. Which is true?
0 x

snoopdog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby snoopdog » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:41 am

I think many are disillusioned by cc, they feel good carrying. But carrying isn't enough to ensure your safety , you have to think, and observe. A small of the back carry is only slower in a draw to ankle carry . Strong side draw won't do you a bit of good if that arm is injured , or someone has a strong grip on it. Even if you can access the weapon but you've never practiced with your weak hand , you'll likely not get the safety off and have a very good chance of having it taken away and used against you . If you're serious about self defense , best to be proactive not reactive .
1 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:50 am

snoopdog wrote:If you're serious about self defense , best to be proactive not reactive .

Yep. Your mind is always your best defense.

On being proactive, I think you mean "preparation". Not pulling first and shooting a target "you think" might be a threat. Or "feeling uncomfortable" or "unsafe" and shooting a "soft" target.
1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:09 am

wbvs58 wrote:I think if tighter gun laws were to be brought into the US it would be very messy and unlikely to have any effect on shootings, crime and terrorism. When Australia brought in our gun legislation there was not the widespread gun ownership that occurs in the US, handguns and automatic weapons were more difficult to own even before the new legislation. It mostly tidied up the old hand me down guns that were lying in the bottom of cupboards and never saw the light of day, people took the opportunity of the amnesty to hand them in. Those of us that wanted to keep our guns had to go through the licence process and meet the requirements of gun storage.

I think with your widespread gun ownership and the unlimited types of firearms it would take many decades of tighter control to bring the availability of firearms down where it would make any significant impact on these shootings.

Ken
q

Australia doesn't have open borders or NAFTA.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

snoopdog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby snoopdog » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:24 am

Bright Raven wrote:
snoopdog wrote:If you're serious about self defense , best to be proactive not reactive .

On being proactive, I think you mean "preparation". Not pulling first and shooting a target "you think" might be a threat. Or "feeling uncomfortable" or "unsafe" and shooting a "soft" target.
Actually BR, What I meant was more along the lines of keeping yourself out of potential situations , or away from known problem areas .
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:46 am

snoopdog wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

Actually BR, What I meant was more along the lines of keeping yourself out of potential situations , or away from known problem areas .

I wholly endorse that. But you made some good points on preparation regarding how one carries and acknowledging the limitations.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:24 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
wbvs58 wrote:I think if tighter gun laws were to be brought into the US it would be very messy and unlikely to have any effect on shootings, crime and terrorism. When Australia brought in our gun legislation there was not the widespread gun ownership that occurs in the US, handguns and automatic weapons were more difficult to own even before the new legislation. It mostly tidied up the old hand me down guns that were lying in the bottom of cupboards and never saw the light of day, people took the opportunity of the amnesty to hand them in. Those of us that wanted to keep our guns had to go through the licence process and meet the requirements of gun storage.

Ken
q

What the he!! Does NAFTA have to do with anything?
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:23 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

Ken
q

Crime.
I guess lots of folks not near the border don't understand all the intricacies of NAFTA upsides and downsides.
Drop the following line into Google and let us know what you see..

Smuggling via NAFTA
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:42 pm

greybeard wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:q

Crime.
I guess lots of folks not near the border don't understand all the intricacies of NAFTA upsides and downsides.
Drop the following line into Google and let us know what you see..

Smuggling via NAFTA

TT, is smarter than that I hope, he's just busting my chops.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:48 pm

Have any of you seen any campaigns with teachers holding books that say “I’m already armed?” That is the extent of their willing to do anything, which as a parent scares the heck out of me.
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:56 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:Have any of you seen any campaigns with teachers holding books that say “I’m already armed?” That is the extent of their willing to do anything, which as a parent scares the heck out of me.

Academics are still ignorant most of the time. They think they can justify their knowledge as an excuse. Ive seen rocks have more intelligence.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Ryder
GURU
GURU

Postby Ryder » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:04 pm

snoopdog wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

I would guess that those who 'carry' are also those who are most 'situational aware'.
I fail to see how one mind set precludes the other.
0 x
Ryder

Deo Vindice

Return to “Coffee Shop”