Cost to Raise a Calf to Weaning Size

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Lucky
Cowhand
Cowhand

Cost to Raise a Calf to Weaning Size

Postby Lucky » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:01 am

The cattle, land, and money thread got me thinking about what it cost to get a calf to 210 day weaning size. I’m at about $350 per cow right now. That’s feed, meds, vet bills, and lease payments with a little extra thrown in for fuel. Once you sell the calf and figure in equipment payments and depreciation @ $100 per cow there usually isn’t much left. Back Grounding is a big gamble but really the only place I see to make money. Just wondering how it is elsewhere in the country.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Cost to Raise a Calf to Weaning Size

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:05 am

Lucky wrote:The cattle, land, and money thread got me thinking about what it cost to get a calf to 210 day weaning size. I’m at about $350 per cow right now. That’s feed, meds, vet bills, and lease payments with a little extra thrown in for fuel. Once you sell the calf and figure in equipment payments and depreciation @ $100 per cow there usually isn’t much left. Back Grounding is a big gamble but really the only place I see to make money. Just wondering how it is elsewhere in the country.

My numbers are roughly 1.50 a day to keep a cow standing in the pasture.
The calves cost are in the cows cost until weaning.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:51 am

The cost is different for everyone and doesn't stay the same year in and year out. The one thing I've found to hold true is, the more cows you have the lower per head input cost you have.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:59 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
Lucky wrote:The cattle, land, and money thread got me thinking about what it cost to get a calf to 210 day weaning size. I’m at about $350 per cow right now. That’s feed, meds, vet bills, and lease payments with a little extra thrown in for fuel. Once you sell the calf and figure in equipment payments and depreciation @ $100 per cow there usually isn’t much left. Back Grounding is a big gamble but really the only place I see to make money. Just wondering how it is elsewhere in the country.

My numbers are roughly 1.50 a day to keep a cow standing in the pasture.
The calves cost are in the cows cost until weaning.

Yep the cow should be responsible for the cost of raising to weaning .
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Lucky
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Lucky » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:36 pm

Maybe I worded that wrong. Calf cost is associated to cow. I always say cost to raise a calf because hopefully I won’t be selling any cows. Actual cost to calf would be about $3
1 x

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Postby pricefarm » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:51 pm

Farming is a value thing. Not a lot of money to be made for the farmer that only has 25 or so cows. But if you have a couple hundred then you can make alittle.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:43 am

i have 1 cow I set her up town at the square.. pay 1.00 per pet.

make about 400 a day with that.
0 x

snoopdog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby snoopdog » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:08 pm

After about getting kicked brain dead today , I'd pay .25 per head , to feed cubes
1 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

melking
GURU
GURU

Postby melking » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:23 pm

pricefarm wrote:Farming is a value thing. Not a lot of money to be made for the farmer that only has 25 or so cows. But if you have a couple hundred then you can make alittle.

I agree with Pricefarm. I only had land for 22 cows and realized after the third year that at best I was simply trading money and maybe even loosing a little. Makes more sense for me to invest the money elsewhere and keep only a couple of cows for the ag exemption. Hard for me to sell out but now done. I guess by the rules of some in here I should now leave this site.
0 x
One thing you will never hear a southern boy say....Duct tape won't fix that, except, even duct tape can't fix stupid. It can, however, muffle it.

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:01 pm

melking wrote:I agree with Pricefarm. I only had land for 22 cows and realized after the third year that at best I was simply trading money and maybe even loosing a little. Makes more sense for me to invest the money elsewhere and keep only a couple of cows for the ag exemption. Hard for me to sell out but now done. I guess by the rules of some in here I should now leave this site.

You don't need to leave on my account. I've sold most of mine now too. Just couldn't say no to the price they offered for that farm. The biggest piece I have now is 17 acres. There is no way to justify shuttling cows around on the smaller pieces. Maybe I'll buy a big chunk of land when I retire.

You've got cattle knowledge. Why would you leave ? You can still help people and you've always been pleasant in your posts.
1 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

melking
GURU
GURU

Postby melking » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:47 pm

backhoeboogie wrote:
melking wrote:I agree with Pricefarm. I only had land for 22 cows and realized after the third year that at best I was simply trading money and maybe even loosing a little. Makes more sense for me to invest the money elsewhere and keep only a couple of cows for the ag exemption. Hard for me to sell out but now done. I guess by the rules of some in here I should now leave this site.

You don't need to leave on my account. I've sold most of mine now too. Just couldn't say no to the price they offered for that farm. The biggest piece I have now is 17 acres. There is no way to justify shuttling cows around on the smaller pieces. Maybe I'll buy a big chunk of land when I retire.

You've got cattle knowledge. Why would you leave ? You can still help people and you've always been pleasant in your posts.

Thank you Backhoe. I appreciate the vote of confidence.
0 x
One thing you will never hear a southern boy say....Duct tape won't fix that, except, even duct tape can't fix stupid. It can, however, muffle it.

Return to “Coffee Shop”