TexasBred

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: TexasBred

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun May 20, 2018 4:35 pm

hurleyjd wrote:I live in Wood County around Lake Fork. Reputable people in the area have seen Cougars. One said he run up on a mother and two kittens. I have lost new born calves without a trace. Was it a cougar Who knows. Cowgirl8 has seen a cougar and I believe her. Pretty easy for grown men to bully a woman on this board regardless of her posts. Have some respect.

She sees one every week.
Get your buddies to get a TPWD biologist to confirm all these cat sightings.
Other than that just grown ups seeing the boogie man.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun May 20, 2018 6:11 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
hurleyjd wrote:I live in Wood County around Lake Fork. Reputable people in the area have seen Cougars. One said he run up on a mother and two kittens. I have lost new born calves without a trace. Was it a cougar Who knows. Cowgirl8 has seen a cougar and I believe her. Pretty easy for grown men to bully a woman on this board regardless of her posts. Have some respect.

She sees one every week.
Get your buddies to get a TPWD biologist to confirm all these cat sightings.
Other than that just grown ups seeing the boogie man.

Thank you Hurleyjd.... and CB, I have never said I see one every week..I've seen 3 over the past 30 years I've lived here.. possibly got one on my game camera. Lost a calf, vet confirmed, once...What does happen regularly is anytime I post, some SmartA makes a cougar comment....lol....maybe you're confused.. Why would I need to get a TPWD to confirm? There are cougars out here, confirmed....
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

tater74
Rancher
Rancher

Postby tater74 » Sun May 20, 2018 6:17 pm

I'm confused!
I thought this thread was about TexasBred.
Now we are discussing whether or not some dingbat saw a cougar?
1 x
Nobody gets something for nothing unless somebody got nothing for something

"the cows are where your at,the bull is the direction your going...." ALACOWMAN

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun May 20, 2018 6:28 pm

Look up. Cougars/Mountain Lions will often hide their kill in trees - that's where one of our neighbors found 2 calves. On the flip side, they'll also bury their kill.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun May 20, 2018 6:32 pm

0 x

Lucky
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Lucky » Sun May 20, 2018 8:54 pm

Hate to say it but Cowgirl8 is right. There is both Black Bears and Big Cats in the county.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun May 20, 2018 9:21 pm

Lucky wrote:Hate to say it but Cowgirl8 is right. There is both Black Bears and Big Cats in the county.

Y’all need to contact the TPWD so they can confirm all these hallucinations.
The black bear map is more sparse than the cat map.
They are turning the dang things loose here and they are not surviving.

https://m.facebook.com/EastTexasBlackBe ... 13/?type=3

10k fine for shooting a black bear, the TPWD are serious about the bears.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun May 20, 2018 9:39 pm

Till I see one or one turns up on a camera I don't believe anything I hear. We've had bears and cougars running around here for years. I haven't seen a track of either animal and no pictures on the game cameras, maybe tomorrow. I only have 5+ miles of plowed up roads that I patrol a few times a week looking for people tracks. So if there's a bear or panther running our woods I would think that I'd see sign. The mind is a powerful tool.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Sun May 20, 2018 9:46 pm

[quote="tater74"]I'm confused!
I thought this thread was about TexasBred.
Now we are discussing whether or not some dingbat saw a cougar?[/quote

You must have learned to be insulting from Donald Trump
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon May 21, 2018 4:25 am

What i'm seeing more now is otters. And not just in ponds, randomly in areas where there isn't a pond. May be that there is standing water on the roads and they get carried away catching frogs and stray away from their pond. But yesterday I saw one for the second time in a month on the road, husband saw it too.. Glad i'm seeing more, I like otters.... Daughter is rehabilitating a orphaned one..its adorable..
One time we saw 2 on the road run over....Husband said, 'They otter of looked both ways'..... he's a funny guy
I'm going to put some game cameras back out today and then forget about them. When I put them out I obsess about them and want to see the pictures every day....
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

plumber_greg
GURU
GURU

Postby plumber_greg » Mon May 21, 2018 6:11 am

you will learn to hate otters. All crappie fishing and bass fishing and channel cat fishing--------gone.
Found out this year they had cleaned a 5 acre private lake that we fish in that is known for it's crappie. 2 days, not one bite. gs
0 x
Just call me plumberscrack

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon May 21, 2018 6:34 am

plumber_greg wrote:you will learn to hate otters. All crappie fishing and bass fishing and channel cat fishing--------gone.
Found out this year they had cleaned a 5 acre private lake that we fish in that is known for it's crappie. 2 days, not one bite. gs

Your preaching to the choir here wiped out four catfish ponds.
I gave up on restocking.
I had Mc Donald drive though for otters.
0 x

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Mon May 21, 2018 7:30 am

We have mountain lions around. They leave tracks. The only one I have seen in the wild was in '79

Respect is earned sir. Woman or man its just a keyboard. There are many here I have a great deal of respect for. But someone needs help, "call a vet" is not what they were looking for. Simple fixes on off hours and her response is constantly, "Call a vet". "My cows are out" "well call a vet" type of thing. "I've got a flat on the trailer" - "Call a vet"

It is hard for me to respect her. Mostly I just refrain from commenting or reading her jargon.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon May 21, 2018 7:48 am

backhoeboogie wrote:We have mountain lions around. They leave tracks. The only one I have seen in the wild was in '79

Respect is earned sir. Woman or man its just a keyboard. There are many here I have a great deal of respect for. But someone needs help, "call a vet" is not what they were looking for. Simple fixes on off hours and her response is constantly, "Call a vet". "My cows are out" "well call a vet" type of thing. "I've got a flat on the trailer" - "Call a vet"

It is hard for me to respect her. Mostly I just refrain from commenting or reading her jargon.

I agree. If someone needs help, put some effort into giving them your best! Having said that, there are some guys on here who are just as bad. For example, a beginner maybe asks a naive question about taking care of a cow and someone says, "Grow a set of balls", etc. Etc. I know you have seen it. Everyone has. With some, it is a continuous pattern.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon May 21, 2018 8:25 am

backhoeboogie wrote:We have mountain lions around. They leave tracks. The only one I have seen in the wild was in '79

You cant leave tracks over leaves and grass....not hard to understand. I suppose that if i checked every little patch of hard as concrete ant hills that maybe for some reason a cat may have walked over it in the open, but as far as our forest go, no bare dirt....
And, most questions i suggest the person ask a vet are the majority of the questions asking about a bottle calf getting weak. Most people dont know that you can take a stool sample to the vet and not only get a pretty good diagnosis, but you get the exact medications you need to treat it. Basically, they have to go get something anyway, why not the right thing. Scoured calves can have many things that cause it, bacterial, viral and worms. Treat it with the wrong medication will be the death for sure of the calf...Most times the person comes here is because they dont have a way to get the calf to the vet...so, telling them all they need to do is get a stool sample is all they need to know, like i said, most time they'll have to run to town to get medication anyway.... Now, unless i'm wrong and you're so sure you can diagnose an illness so accurately via what a random person can convey over a paragraph online, dang you're good....I'm not that good...in fact, any time i get a calf with the squirts, i find a sandwich bag and stand behind the calf and wait....then off to the vet. So, thats my suggestion, just like anyone elses...whether you like it or not...
0 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”