Here we go again

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
User avatar
bball
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2596
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:43 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Here we go again

Postby bball » Thu May 24, 2018 7:06 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
boondocks wrote:I think we're talking about 2 different hings--to me, anyway. I think whether younger folks today are "entitled" or lazy or some such is a different question than: why are we having mass homicides? I like evidence, not anecdote, to answer this sort of question. It's a very important thing for us to get to the bottom of. We need to stop deciding we can't handle research on gun violence and therefore can't do it. I think (hope!) we're smart enough to really look at this in a clear-eyed kind of way, and not just fall back into tribalist arguments of "guns good, young people bad" (or vice versa).
I still have not heard an answer to the question: what evidence is there that not being John-Wayne-tough on a kid will make him a mass shooter?


I agree.

The evidence that the parenting of children is the primary cause of mass school shootings does not even meet the anecdotal threshold.


I agree. Parenting certainly is not the primary cause (mental illness imho), just one of many contributing factors.
1 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

User avatar
Ryder
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5596
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:30 am
Location: Southeast Louisiana (Rep. of W. Fla.)

Re: Here we go again

Postby Ryder » Thu May 24, 2018 8:48 pm

bball wrote:
boondocks wrote: many/most of these mass shooters appear to be narcissistic sociopaths--no conscience or what we would think of a normal ethics code. Give them the internet to fuel themselves with crazy ideas; ready access to guns/ammo; a culture that reveres violence and militarism; and family/community that are woefully unprepared to recognize how sick/twisted they are.


This sums it up quite well. Good post.

+1
0 x
Ryder

Deo Vindice

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3416
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Yantis, Texas

Re: Here we go again

Postby hurleyjd » Thu May 24, 2018 8:50 pm

Does not matter how you raise a kid some are good, some are crazy and some of them are just mean.
2 x

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22286
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Here we go again

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu May 24, 2018 9:05 pm

hurleyjd wrote:Does not matter how you raise a kid some are good, some are crazy and some of them are just mean.

Prison is full of bad people that had good parents as well as bad.

We are seeing the consequences of doing away with the crazy houses along with capital punishment IMO.
We have quit dealing with the nut case for what he is and tried to mainstream him into society through inclusion.
The scariest part is the people willing to give up their civil liberties versus dealing with the nut jobs.
Not being political here my Libertarian leanings just don’t roll that way.
0 x

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 29256
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Here we go again

Postby TexasBred » Fri May 25, 2018 7:30 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
hurleyjd wrote:Does not matter how you raise a kid some are good, some are crazy and some of them are just mean.

Prison is full of bad people that had good parents as well as bad.

We are seeing the consequences of doing away with the crazy houses along with capital punishment IMO.
We have quit dealing with the nut case for what he is and tried to mainstream him into society through inclusion.
The scariest part is the people willing to give up their civil liberties versus dealing with the nut jobs.
Not being political here my Libertarian leanings just don’t roll that way.

CB Texas still has quite a few "crazy houses" as you call them. The mistake is releasing the patients frm them after a 6 week stay with a half dozen prescriptions and calling them "cured".
2 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22286
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Here we go again

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri May 25, 2018 10:30 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
hurleyjd wrote:Does not matter how you raise a kid some are good, some are crazy and some of them are just mean.

Prison is full of bad people that had good parents as well as bad.

We are seeing the consequences of doing away with the crazy houses along with capital punishment IMO.
We have quit dealing with the nut case for what he is and tried to mainstream him into society through inclusion.
The scariest part is the people willing to give up their civil liberties versus dealing with the nut jobs.
Not being political here my Libertarian leanings just don’t roll that way.

CB Texas still has quite a few "crazy houses" as you call them. The mistake is releasing the patients frm them after a 6 week stay with a half dozen prescriptions and calling them "cured".


There is no treatment for a mad dog with maybe the exception of a lobotomy. I don’t have the answers for today’s society. There is no way to fix this in today’s PC culture. We will spend the rest of our life fighting law suits that brought us inclusion.
We can harden our schools like our court houses or airports, it still doesn’t address the nut job. They will pick a concert a bike ride or are randomly mailing bombs. We definitely have a mental health crisis IMO.
1 x


Return to “Coffee Shop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests