Cheeseburgers

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Cheeseburgers

Postby backhoeboogie » Tue May 22, 2018 10:42 am

There used to be a maw and Paw burger joint in Jasper, Texas that had hamburgers 15 cents or 10 for a dollar.

Dad always fed us kids there when we went up to visit my grandparents. No Whataburger or Burgerkings around towns back then.

One day they told me you could now get a burger with cheese on it. “Why?” “It’s good”. Waitress, “you want to try a cheeseburger?” Me, “No mam. I want to try your hamburger with cheese on it”.

I had forgotten that. Don’t know why I am now remembering it. Can coke then.

They started making onion rings and mom would get an order. Onion rings sounded awful to me. She finally got me to try one. I was hooked.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Re: Cheeseburgers

Postby pdfangus » Tue May 22, 2018 11:14 am

i RECALL the first time I ever saw a Macdonalds....it was mid sixties....hamburgers were 15 cent....first time I ever had my fill of food for a dollar. yeah...I ate 6 or 8 of them...
1 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Tue May 22, 2018 11:30 am

pdfangus wrote:i RECALL the first time I ever saw a Macdonalds....it was mid sixties....hamburgers were 15 cent....first time I ever had my fill of food for a dollar. yeah...I ate 6 or 8 of them...

My first macdonalds experience was Longview, Texas. Burgers were up to a quarter by then. Dairy Queens has been around for a few years by then but macdonalds was a new experience for me. DQ had a Dilly Bar that was a treat and it was within riding distance of my bicycle.

My first big mac was BIG Don't remember the year but I remember the size.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue May 22, 2018 12:58 pm

backhoeboogie wrote:There used to be a maw and Paw burger joint in Jasper, Texas that had hamburgers 15 cents or 10 for a dollar.

Dad always fed us kids there when we went up to visit my grandparents. No Whataburger or Burgerkings around towns back then.

One day they told me you could now get a burger with cheese on it. “Why?” “It’s good”. Waitress, “you want to try a cheeseburger?” Me, “No mam. I want to try your hamburger with cheese on it”.

I had forgotten that. Don’t know why I am now remembering it. Can coke then.

They started making onion rings and mom would get an order. Onion rings sounded awful to me. She finally got me to try one. I was hooked.

Look
I understand too little too late..
I realize there are things you say and do
You can never take back,
But, what would you be if you didn't even try?
You have to try..
So after a lot of thought
I'd like to reconsider.
Please....
If it's not too late
Make it a cheeseburger

Where I grew up (the glimmering metropolis/Pearl of the San Jacinto of Highlands Texas in Harris County) there was a little burger joint about a mile up Main St that sold sloppy joes, 6 for $1. I was in hog heaven when mother was too busy to fix lunch and sent one of us up there to get a bag of 'em.
(They'd probably be 1 for $6 today)
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:08 pm

first burger i ever remember eating away from home I was about 12 and it was a hardees , I thought it was the best one ever because I had not had a hamburger that was not cooked in a frying pan on the stove.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Tue May 22, 2018 1:13 pm

I was in college in '70, I lived a couple blocks off campus. Had to walk right past an Arctic Circle. They would have cheese burgers 6 for a $1. I would eat 3 for lunch and take the other 3 home for dinner. No microwave back them so they got ate cold. They weren't nearly as good cold as they were fresh. And they weren't real good fresh.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue May 22, 2018 1:16 pm

Been a long time since I've seen a Hardees. They weren't bad, in fact very good, but still not as good as Whataburger.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue May 22, 2018 1:31 pm

M-5 wrote:first burger i ever remember eating away from home I was about 12 and it was a hardees , I thought it was the best one ever because I had not had a hamburger that was not cooked in a frying pan on the stove.

And probably served between two pieces of bread instead of on a bun. BTW I've still never eaten a McDonald's burger.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Tue May 22, 2018 1:50 pm

TexasBred wrote:BTW I've still never eaten a McDonald's burger.

Probably means you will live longer than anyone else on here.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Tue May 22, 2018 2:07 pm

MY NEW FAVORITE FAST FOOD IS COOK OUT...
DECENT FAST FOOD PRETTY INEXPENSIVE...
0 x
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue May 22, 2018 2:16 pm

greybeard wrote:Been a long time since I've seen a Hardees. They weren't bad, in fact very good, but still not as good as Whataburger.

they are still everywhere here , The burgers are still good. but the biggest business they do every day is at breakfast . One of my favorite breakfast places .
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Tue May 22, 2018 2:26 pm

TexasBred wrote:And probably served between two pieces of bread instead of on a bun. BTW I've still never eaten a McDonald's burger.

B/c of the ingredients they use, I haven't had McDonald's in about 10 years. I can do Carl's Jr. which is Hardee's. It's OK, but I always feel like it wasn't worth it afterward. I had their breakfast last year and it was disgusting. The biscuit was so greasy that the paper was stained. I can't believe there are folks that eat this junk day in and day out. Best burger I've ever had is the stuff we've raised ourselves, doesn't matter if it's on the grill or in the frying pan.
1 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Tue May 22, 2018 2:40 pm

M-5 wrote:
greybeard wrote:Been a long time since I've seen a Hardees. They weren't bad, in fact very good, but still not as good as Whataburger.

they are still everywhere here , The burgers are still good. but the biggest business they do every day is at breakfast . One of my favorite breakfast places .

I had two Bacon Egg and Cheese Biscuits for breakfast this morning....
their biscuits are second only to Bojangles....
but there is not a bojangles in my normal sphere of travel....Bojangles would require about a ten mile detour
i pass hardees most every morning and they open at 5 am.
I try to limit myself to eating there once a week for breakfast. right now having a two for $4.oo special
0 x
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Tue May 22, 2018 2:43 pm

Grew up having hamburgers that were fried on the stove, and between slices of bread, to this day if we have them grilled and on buns it's a treat. I do more grilling these days needless to say.
We were in town yesterday evening and stopped by Hardees, which is probably my favorite fast food at this time. We tried the Memphis Barbeque thickburger, was pretty good, but even fast food runs into money pretty quick.
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Tue May 22, 2018 2:45 pm

pdfangus wrote:
M-5 wrote:

I had two Bacon Egg and Cheese Biscuits for breakfast this morning....
their biscuits are second only to Bojangles....
but there is not a bojangles in my normal sphere of travel....Bojangles would require about a ten mile detour
i pass hardees most every morning and they open at 5 am.
I try to limit myself to eating there once a week for breakfast. right now having a two for $4.oo special

Bojangles opened up here a year or 2 ago, haven't had a breakfast from there but the dinners are pretty good, my only complaint with them is they don't serve chicken livers.
0 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”