Cheeseburgers

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
User avatar
backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy
Posts: 14495
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:27 pm
Location: Texas

Cheeseburgers

Postby backhoeboogie » Tue May 22, 2018 10:42 am

There used to be a maw and Paw burger joint in Jasper, Texas that had hamburgers 15 cents or 10 for a dollar.

Dad always fed us kids there when we went up to visit my grandparents. No Whataburger or Burgerkings around towns back then.

One day they told me you could now get a burger with cheese on it. “Why?” “It’s good”. Waitress, “you want to try a cheeseburger?” Me, “No mam. I want to try your hamburger with cheese on it”.

I had forgotten that. Don’t know why I am now remembering it. Can coke then.

They started making onion rings and mom would get an order. Onion rings sounded awful to me. She finally got me to try one. I was hooked.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

User avatar
pdfangus
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4505
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:01 am
Location: Beaverdam, virginia

Re: Cheeseburgers

Postby pdfangus » Tue May 22, 2018 11:14 am

i RECALL the first time I ever saw a Macdonalds....it was mid sixties....hamburgers were 15 cent....first time I ever had my fill of food for a dollar. yeah...I ate 6 or 8 of them...
1 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

User avatar
backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy
Posts: 14495
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:27 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Cheeseburgers

Postby backhoeboogie » Tue May 22, 2018 11:30 am

pdfangus wrote:i RECALL the first time I ever saw a Macdonalds....it was mid sixties....hamburgers were 15 cent....first time I ever had my fill of food for a dollar. yeah...I ate 6 or 8 of them...


My first macdonalds experience was Longview, Texas. Burgers were up to a quarter by then. Dairy Queens has been around for a few years by then but macdonalds was a new experience for me. DQ had a Dilly Bar that was a treat and it was within riding distance of my bicycle.

My first big mac was BIG Don't remember the year but I remember the size.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15949
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: Cheeseburgers

Postby greybeard » Tue May 22, 2018 12:58 pm

backhoeboogie wrote:There used to be a maw and Paw burger joint in Jasper, Texas that had hamburgers 15 cents or 10 for a dollar.

Dad always fed us kids there when we went up to visit my grandparents. No Whataburger or Burgerkings around towns back then.

One day they told me you could now get a burger with cheese on it. “Why?” “It’s good”. Waitress, “you want to try a cheeseburger?” Me, “No mam. I want to try your hamburger with cheese on it”.

I had forgotten that. Don’t know why I am now remembering it. Can coke then.

They started making onion rings and mom would get an order. Onion rings sounded awful to me. She finally got me to try one. I was hooked.

Look
I understand too little too late..
I realize there are things you say and do
You can never take back,
But, what would you be if you didn't even try?
You have to try..
So after a lot of thought
I'd like to reconsider.
Please....
If it's not too late
Make it a cheeseburger


Where I grew up (the glimmering metropolis/Pearl of the San Jacinto of Highlands Texas in Harris County) there was a little burger joint about a mile up Main St that sold sloppy joes, 6 for $1. I was in hog heaven when mother was too busy to fix lunch and sent one of us up there to get a bag of 'em.
(They'd probably be 1 for $6 today)
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6438
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: Cheeseburgers

Postby M-5 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:08 pm

first burger i ever remember eating away from home I was about 12 and it was a hardees , I thought it was the best one ever because I had not had a hamburger that was not cooked in a frying pan on the stove.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Dave
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6619
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Klickitat County Washington

Re: Cheeseburgers

Postby Dave » Tue May 22, 2018 1:13 pm

I was in college in '70, I lived a couple blocks off campus. Had to walk right past an Arctic Circle. They would have cheese burgers 6 for a $1. I would eat 3 for lunch and take the other 3 home for dinner. No microwave back them so they got ate cold. They weren't nearly as good cold as they were fresh. And they weren't real good fresh.
0 x

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15949
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: Cheeseburgers

Postby greybeard » Tue May 22, 2018 1:16 pm

Been a long time since I've seen a Hardees. They weren't bad, in fact very good, but still not as good as Whataburger.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 29244
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Cheeseburgers

Postby TexasBred » Tue May 22, 2018 1:31 pm

M-5 wrote:first burger i ever remember eating away from home I was about 12 and it was a hardees , I thought it was the best one ever because I had not had a hamburger that was not cooked in a frying pan on the stove.

And probably served between two pieces of bread instead of on a bun. BTW I've still never eaten a McDonald's burger.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

User avatar
Aaron
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4274
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Stratton, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: Cheeseburgers

Postby Aaron » Tue May 22, 2018 1:50 pm

TexasBred wrote:BTW I've still never eaten a McDonald's burger.


Probably means you will live longer than anyone else on here.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

User avatar
pdfangus
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4505
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:01 am
Location: Beaverdam, virginia

Re: Cheeseburgers

Postby pdfangus » Tue May 22, 2018 2:07 pm

MY NEW FAVORITE FAST FOOD IS COOK OUT...
DECENT FAST FOOD PRETTY INEXPENSIVE...
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6438
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: Cheeseburgers

Postby M-5 » Tue May 22, 2018 2:16 pm

greybeard wrote:Been a long time since I've seen a Hardees. They weren't bad, in fact very good, but still not as good as Whataburger.


they are still everywhere here , The burgers are still good. but the biggest business they do every day is at breakfast . One of my favorite breakfast places .
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

User avatar
Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2093
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:12 pm
Location: Idaho

Re: Cheeseburgers

Postby Bestoutwest » Tue May 22, 2018 2:26 pm

TexasBred wrote:And probably served between two pieces of bread instead of on a bun. BTW I've still never eaten a McDonald's burger.


B/c of the ingredients they use, I haven't had McDonald's in about 10 years. I can do Carl's Jr. which is Hardee's. It's OK, but I always feel like it wasn't worth it afterward. I had their breakfast last year and it was disgusting. The biscuit was so greasy that the paper was stained. I can't believe there are folks that eat this junk day in and day out. Best burger I've ever had is the stuff we've raised ourselves, doesn't matter if it's on the grill or in the frying pan.
1 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh

User avatar
pdfangus
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4505
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:01 am
Location: Beaverdam, virginia

Re: Cheeseburgers

Postby pdfangus » Tue May 22, 2018 2:40 pm

M-5 wrote:
greybeard wrote:Been a long time since I've seen a Hardees. They weren't bad, in fact very good, but still not as good as Whataburger.


they are still everywhere here , The burgers are still good. but the biggest business they do every day is at breakfast . One of my favorite breakfast places .


I had two Bacon Egg and Cheese Biscuits for breakfast this morning....
their biscuits are second only to Bojangles....
but there is not a bojangles in my normal sphere of travel....Bojangles would require about a ten mile detour
i pass hardees most every morning and they open at 5 am.
I try to limit myself to eating there once a week for breakfast. right now having a two for $4.oo special
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

User avatar
Ky hills
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1415
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: Clark County, KY

Re: Cheeseburgers

Postby Ky hills » Tue May 22, 2018 2:43 pm

Grew up having hamburgers that were fried on the stove, and between slices of bread, to this day if we have them grilled and on buns it's a treat. I do more grilling these days needless to say.
We were in town yesterday evening and stopped by Hardees, which is probably my favorite fast food at this time. We tried the Memphis Barbeque thickburger, was pretty good, but even fast food runs into money pretty quick.
0 x

User avatar
Ky hills
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1415
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: Clark County, KY

Re: Cheeseburgers

Postby Ky hills » Tue May 22, 2018 2:45 pm

pdfangus wrote:
M-5 wrote:
greybeard wrote:Been a long time since I've seen a Hardees. They weren't bad, in fact very good, but still not as good as Whataburger.


they are still everywhere here , The burgers are still good. but the biggest business they do every day is at breakfast . One of my favorite breakfast places .


I had two Bacon Egg and Cheese Biscuits for breakfast this morning....
their biscuits are second only to Bojangles....
but there is not a bojangles in my normal sphere of travel....Bojangles would require about a ten mile detour
i pass hardees most every morning and they open at 5 am.
I try to limit myself to eating there once a week for breakfast. right now having a two for $4.oo special


Bojangles opened up here a year or 2 ago, haven't had a breakfast from there but the dinners are pretty good, my only complaint with them is they don't serve chicken livers.
0 x


Return to “Coffee Shop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests