Millennial's are going to see it rough...........

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Re: Millennial's are going to see it rough...........

Postby ga.prime » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:59 pm

People staring into their iPhones 18 hrs a day don't have time for work.
2 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:03 pm

Ky hills wrote: what I see as a factor that probably used to not be is all of the insurance costs which continually rise, and various taxes and licenses/fees that are always cropping up, some may seem like small amounts but added all up makes for a significant amount.

I think this, most certainly, is a contributing factor.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:19 pm

ga.prime wrote:People staring into their iPhones 18 hrs a day don't have time for work.

I'm having a few folks over this evening, to stare at their phones...
3 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:06 pm

It indeed is still perfectly possible for a really motivated person to start out with little and make something of himself... Trouble is most start out with nothing, and everything works against you at that point.. Everything from the $10 monthly bank fee makes a BIG different.. Oh you have lots of money? We'll waive the fee for you...

The thing is, 50-60 years ago, it didn't take exceptional motivation to start with little and get somewhere if you showed up to work and did your job (yeah, those two things were certainly more common back then) I think 'average' work ethic is certainly down.
1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:09 pm

shouldn't most millennials have a job, house, wife, kids, etc by now?

The new generation is Gen Z .. ending in '12 for births.. so the youngest Gen Z's are already 8.. started in '95 so some are over 20 already.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:09 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
jltrent wrote:Very interesting article to me, but as I read closer did notice the political agenda, so mod if a problem please lock/delete as I will as always try to follow rules.

They already did that, it was locked for a few minutes then it was open again.

I saw that too TG. I tried to make a reply, and it said 'thread locked'.
Looked back 2 minutes later and no little lock on the thread title.
Dunno what happened.....
2 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:47 pm

Nesikep wrote:It indeed is still perfectly possible for a really motivated person to start out with little and make something of himself... Trouble is most start out with nothing, and everything works against you at that point.. Everything from the $10 monthly bank fee makes a BIG different.. Oh you have lots of money? We'll waive the fee for you...

The thing is, 50-60 years ago, it didn't take exceptional motivation to start with little and get somewhere if you showed up to work and did your job (yeah, those two things were certainly more common back then) I think 'average' work ethic is certainly down.

That is a good point. The world is more complicated now than it use to be. Just because a bank will give you a mortgage or a car loan doesn't mean you can afford it. If you don't go out of you way to educate yourself there is a good chance it won't turn out well. There are "gotcha's" at every turn now days. Its easy to end up over your head before you get started. When you turn 18 they give you a student loan and a credit card just for having a pulse. Your starting behind the curve.
1 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:03 am

Brute 23 wrote:
Nesikep wrote:It indeed is still perfectly possible for a really motivated person to start out with little and make something of himself... Trouble is most start out with nothing, and everything works against you at that point.. Everything from the $10 monthly bank fee makes a BIG different.. Oh you have lots of money? We'll waive the fee for you...

That is a good point. The world is more complicated now than it use to be. Just because a bank will give you a mortgage or a car loan doesn't mean you can afford it. If you don't go out of you way to educate yourself there is a good chance it won't turn out well. There are "gotcha's" at every turn now days. Its easy to end up over your head before you get started. When you turn 18 they give you a student loan and a credit card just for having a pulse. Your starting behind the curve.

" a bank will give you a mortgage or a car loan doesn't mean you can afford it."

Key words those 2 are.. They don't hold a gun to your head and force you to take out a loan and they never did.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:26 am

greybeard wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:

" a bank will give you a mortgage or a car loan doesn't mean you can afford it."

Key words those 2 are.. They don't hold a gun to your head and force you to take out a loan and they never did.

The worst they can do is take it back. I see lots of posts of Facebook where people get very nice vehicles and have to let them go before they are even a couple years old. Some very good deals to be had if you are willing to take over the payments from auto company or bank - make your own terms. Unfortunately no kid has went out and bought a regular cab Ford 3/4 ton to impress women with, so I am still waiting for such a deal to come my way. Last deal I seen, very nice 2016 F-150 with 18k miles, was 1/2 paid for, and kid wanted out of the deal.

If anything, it helps the economy and keeps auto makers humming along.
1 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:01 am

These tote your note auto sales around here, make it easy.. Most know full well they ain't gonna pay for it while their signing the papers """both sides""
They don't care if they do..that's why the rollback is parked out back....
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:28 am

ALACOWMAN wrote:These tote your note auto sales around here, make it easy.. Most know full well they ain't gonna pay for it while their signing the papers """both sides""
They don't care if they do..that's why the rollback is parked out back....

Once the vehicle is repoed and sold the original owner still owes the balance, if the collateral doesn't bring it, and 95-99% of the time it doesn't. Chapter 7 is hard to get now.

I worked in the banking business for five years and part of my job was collections for the main office and branches. I repoed/stoled over 200 vehicles as we had floor plans with three dealers and a few car lots. We got key codes when first making the loan and when the customer got two payments behind headed for three I got a key made and picked the vehicle up (I could write a book on the stories) If I drove down the street and seen the vehicle I stole it, stole several out of peoples driveway, talk about a rush, I was shaking when I got it back to the lot on a few. Two of us inventoried what was in the vehicles and I sent them a bank letter stating they could come pick up their items and they had ten days to catch up payments or it became bank property. I hate to say it, but women were the worse as most men would get mad, you get a good cussing and on your way, women didn't know how to act if I had to confront them.
Last edited by jltrent on Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

snoopdog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby snoopdog » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:03 am

You have to have transportation , I see the tote the note auto dealers in the same category as the payday check cashers, predatory . I think that the technology has made it almost impossible , like it used to be, to buy an old clunker and fix it up into a relatively dependable vehicle , with just a manual and a few tools . I also see, as mentioned , the loss of productivity in this country , because of people on their phone. Used to , you didn't use the phone at work unless it was an emergency or you were on break or lunch . I think we have come to the point where tech is becoming a problem , not the solution .
2 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:31 am

I have kids on both sides of this issue. One of the daughters runs the parts department at a very large Ford dealer. Another one who..... well she talks on the phone. Working daughter complains that the other calls her all the time at work. Talking daughter will ask what are you doing. Working daughter will reply I am working. Did someone die? Then she hangs up on her.
0 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:50 am

I have relatives and family that are in their 65 and up to 87 years old that are living as if there is no tomorrow and will finance anything and let it be repossessed . On a car they are upside down in when they sign the contracts.They did not plan and have no idea as where to spend and where to save. They still think with a young brain and in an old body.
0 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:12 am

You know, the cell phone thing is kinda funny. A few years back, it was our hospital policy that you did not use your cell phone while on duty. Somewhere along the way, it ceased being enforced. I suspect it had something to do with exec leadership also having the inability to refrain from using theirs...im certain none of them are millennials. I still put mine in my desk drawer when i clock in. Figure anyone that needs to reach me in the middle of the noc knows where i am.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

Return to “Coffee Shop”