President Sold Out

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: President Sold Out

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:14 am

Lucky wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Lucky wrote:Was he mad about not making any money baling hay or not making money in the cattle biz in general? Only way to make money on hay is to do it efficiently and in heavy volume or need 800-1000 rolls yourself and sell the extra to help make equipment payments. I never have understood how folks think they can buy hay equipment and make or save any money baling 500 rolls a year.

Not making money on cattle. He has 3 kids.
I guess the kids were not as interested as he hoped they would be. He had a herd of about 30 Simmental/Simangus cows. His bull was a Rocking P bull. The bull got crippled about a year ago. That was a big loss. He sold some seedstock.

We’ve talked about this allot. Cattle is a rough game. I’ve had good and bad years just like everyone else. Sometimes I feel like opening the gates and going home. I’m in a little to deep to quit now. 30 cows is enough to make a few dollars on but definitely not enough to worry about hay equipment. What’s he feed 90 bales a year max?

He has a relative who also runs about 12 cows there. Those cows are still there but not his to manage. I am not sure how much hay they put up. But I would guess about 150 rolls/bales. It surprised everyone on the board because he was our leading advocate for farming. Someone thought it was a marital issue but he quickly dismissed that. I think he just decided to enjoy life more.
1 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:18 am

Lucky wrote:
sstterry wrote:I know the feeling of frustration. I have a 10' hydraulic brush hog that got into some 12 ga high tensile wire last year. It is completely wrapped around both spindles underneath. I have tried and tired to figure a way to get access to fix it, but there is just no way. I am now going to have to have someone pick it up and take it to their shop so it can be put on a lift to get it fixed. I have fought with the darn thing for two weeks and I am now just frustrated that I am going to have to spend all that money to fix it!

If you don’t have al front loader I would think a come a long, a chain, and a tree limb would pick the front high enough to cut it out.

I have a front end loader, but there is no way I am working on something that big simply relying on hydraulics. A man close to here was killed because the did that.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:20 am

sstterry wrote:
Lucky wrote:
sstterry wrote:I know the feeling of frustration. I have a 10' hydraulic brush hog that got into some 12 ga high tensile wire last year. It is completely wrapped around both spindles underneath. I have tried and tired to figure a way to get access to fix it, but there is just no way. I am now going to have to have someone pick it up and take it to their shop so it can be put on a lift to get it fixed. I have fought with the darn thing for two weeks and I am now just frustrated that I am going to have to spend all that money to fix it!

If you don’t have al front loader I would think a come a long, a chain, and a tree limb would pick the front high enough to cut it out.

I have a front end loader, but there is no way I am working on something that big simply relying on hydraulics. A man close to here was killed because the did that.

I get under mine by lifting it and laying up locust sawed blocks as cribbing. No way it can come down. You don't need to take it in.
0 x
Diogenes.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:24 am

I can relate to that, l mowed over an old bed spring mattress. I just lifted it up and blocked it then took a torch to it.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:31 am

I use locust blocks my friend sawed with his portable mill. Looks just like this:

1 x
Diogenes.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:34 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Lucky wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
I guess the kids were not as interested as he hoped they would be. He had a herd of about 30 Simmental/Simangus cows. His bull was a Rocking P bull. The bull got crippled about a year ago. That was a big loss. He sold some seedstock.

We’ve talked about this allot. Cattle is a rough game. I’ve had good and bad years just like everyone else. Sometimes I feel like opening the gates and going home. I’m in a little to deep to quit now. 30 cows is enough to make a few dollars on but definitely not enough to worry about hay equipment. What’s he feed 90 bales a year max?

He has a relative who also runs about 12 cows there. Those cows are still there but not his to manage. I am not sure how much hay they put up. But I would guess about 150 rolls/bales. It surprised everyone on the board because he was our leading advocate for farming. Someone thought it was a marital issue but he quickly dismissed that. I think he just decided to enjoy life more.

Not a very good lesson for a teacher to do IMO. But if your family isn't interested in cattle why practice? When the going gets tough the tough get going, I'd quit tomorrow if it wasn't for my wife. We are blessed to have a couple of good ag teachers in our GCA chapter.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:42 am

Turn the mower over upside down on the ground with your FEL and get the wire off.
1 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:38 pm

I'd love to farm full time, but with land going for $5K/acre, tractors in the $100K range and then there's a slew of other fun stuff to buy, how do you do it? We're going to have a rude awakening soon I'm afraid if something isn't done.
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

fence_it
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby fence_it » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:04 pm

Hay equipment breakdowns are very frustrating. Nothing like having a field ready to bale with rain in the forecast but your baler is broke. Back when we were doing hay the knotters were always giving us fits. Just not worth it.
0 x
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:04 pm

M-5 wrote:I broke 2 header bars this past weekend, broke a yoke on my tedder and had some hay get rained on. Its Tuesday and its still setting in the field because its been flooding the last 2 afternoons. None of that compares to my day job and the frustrations and nonsense I deal with on a daily basis here. Making hay is the most stressful and enjoyable part of what I do. people that cant handle it have never really had to deal with real world problems . Saying he is an ag teacher explains it . he's got that cushy state job and real work caused him to break .

Good thing you got toughened up in the isles of Piggly Wiggly ain't it?
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:07 pm

What a disappointment this thread has been. I could have sworn it was gonna be about Trump.
1 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:37 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:What a disappointment this thread has been. I could have sworn it was gonna be about Trump.

That's what I thought at first too.
1 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:42 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Lucky wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

He has a relative who also runs about 12 cows there. Those cows are still there but not his to manage. I am not sure how much hay they put up. But I would guess about 150 rolls/bales. It surprised everyone on the board because he was our leading advocate for farming. Someone thought it was a marital issue but he quickly dismissed that. I think he just decided to enjoy life more.[/quote]
My wife mentions this to me monthly.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:43 pm

Ky hills wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:What a disappointment this thread has been. I could have sworn it was gonna be about Trump.

That's what I thought at first too.

We got clickbaited!!!
5 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:34 am

I definitely understand the frustration , Iv threatened to quit a thousand times . Older equipment breaks down , so does new, but none of it breaks sitting in the barn. It gets dry, cows have problems , and the market don't cooperate . Despite all that , when it rains , when cows do their job , and you roll out of the field at the end of the day , there is no better feeling in the world , well maybe one .
2 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Return to “Coffee Shop”