Toads!

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Post Reply
boondocks
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2592
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 2:22 pm
Location: Upstate NY
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Toads!

Post by boondocks » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:00 am

Grew up playing with frogs and snakes and turtles. Toads were a little different--we somehow got it in our peabrains that they could give you warts from their bumps. :lol:
Anyway, it's rare to see a frog or turtle around here these days. But we have toads the size of your fist hanging out on the stones outside the back door. There were 5 tonight (catching bugs, fat and sassy), and those are just the ones we saw. (When we come or go after dark, we take a flashlight so we don't step on them. Or get skunked!).
Anyway, we kept seeing fresh poo on the patio stones--doglike but a bit smaller. I said it was the toads, hubs said no way, it's too big for toads. But looks like I was right! Did ya'll know a toad could poo about half their size lol! https://morningbrayfarm.com/2010/07/15/ ... the-patio/



User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9020
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 148 times
Been thanked: 361 times

Re: Toads!

Post by True Grit Farms » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:21 am

boondocks wrote:Grew up playing with frogs and snakes and turtles. Toads were a little different--we somehow got it in our peabrains that they could give you warts from their bumps. :lol:
Anyway, it's rare to see a frog or turtle around here these days. But we have toads the size of your fist hanging out on the stones outside the back door. There were 5 tonight (catching bugs, fat and sassy), and those are just the ones we saw. (When we come or go after dark, we take a flashlight so we don't step on them. Or get skunked!).
Anyway, we kept seeing fresh poo on the patio stones--doglike but a bit smaller. I said it was the toads, hubs said no way, it's too big for toads. But looks like I was right! Did ya'll know a toad could poo about half their size lol! https://morningbrayfarm.com/2010/07/15/ ... the-patio/

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/ ... 70664.html
I do my best to kill them all. We've lost a few dogs those those dang things.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7098
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:34 pm
Location: Ctrl Virginia
Has thanked: 108 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: Toads!

Post by Workinonit Farm » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:02 pm

I love toads!!!! They eat so many bugs. The larger ones are females.

Anytime I've had a dog try to eat a toad, they spit the thing out after rolling it around their moth a few times, and they salivate & froth like crazy. Most of dogs would not bother with a toad again, after that. I can honestly say, that we have never had a dog or a cat die because of a toad. Perhaps different climates, different toads.
Live each day as if it were your last.

User avatar
ga.prime
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5186
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:24 am
Location: So. Cent. Ga.
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 54 times

Re: Toads!

Post by ga.prime » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:07 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:I love toads!!!! They eat so many bugs. The larger ones are females.

Anytime I've had a dog try to eat a toad, they spit the thing out after rolling it around their moth a few times, and they salivate & froth like crazy. Most of dogs would not bother with a toad again, after that. I can honestly say, that we have never had a dog or a cat die because of a toad. Perhaps different climates, different toads.

The cane toads TG is talking about live in Miami and Tampa and places in between and nowhere else in this country.
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14344
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 320 times
Been thanked: 269 times

Re: Toads!

Post by Nesikep » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:11 pm

we have a few toads around here.. it's a little dry and arid for them, but if there's a leak in the irrigation or a place that gets good water they'll be there.. In the spring they're only vocal for a night or two it seems
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9020
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 148 times
Been thanked: 361 times

Re: Toads!

Post by True Grit Farms » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:19 pm

ga.prime wrote:
Workinonit Farm wrote:I love toads!!!! They eat so many bugs. The larger ones are females.

Anytime I've had a dog try to eat a toad, they spit the thing out after rolling it around their moth a few times, and they salivate & froth like crazy. Most of dogs would not bother with a toad again, after that. I can honestly say, that we have never had a dog or a cat die because of a toad. Perhaps different climates, different toads.

The cane toads TG is talking about live in Miami and Tampa and places in between and nowhere else in this country.

That's definitely where our misfortune took place, and I never knew that GP.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7098
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:34 pm
Location: Ctrl Virginia
Has thanked: 108 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: Toads!

Post by Workinonit Farm » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:22 pm

ga.prime wrote:
Workinonit Farm wrote:I love toads!!!! They eat so many bugs. The larger ones are females.

Anytime I've had a dog try to eat a toad, they spit the thing out after rolling it around their moth a few times, and they salivate & froth like crazy. Most of dogs would not bother with a toad again, after that. I can honestly say, that we have never had a dog or a cat die because of a toad. Perhaps different climates, different toads.

The cane toads TG is talking about live in Miami and Tampa and places in between and nowhere else in this country.


That would explain it. I figured it had to be a different type of toad, one which we haven't got in the more northern climes.
Live each day as if it were your last.

Atimm693
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 411
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:44 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Toads!

Post by Atimm693 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:06 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
boondocks wrote:Grew up playing with frogs and snakes and turtles. Toads were a little different--we somehow got it in our peabrains that they could give you warts from their bumps. :lol:
Anyway, it's rare to see a frog or turtle around here these days. But we have toads the size of your fist hanging out on the stones outside the back door. There were 5 tonight (catching bugs, fat and sassy), and those are just the ones we saw. (When we come or go after dark, we take a flashlight so we don't step on them. Or get skunked!).
Anyway, we kept seeing fresh poo on the patio stones--doglike but a bit smaller. I said it was the toads, hubs said no way, it's too big for toads. But looks like I was right! Did ya'll know a toad could poo about half their size lol! https://morningbrayfarm.com/2010/07/15/ ... the-patio/

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/ ... 70664.html
I do my best to kill them all. We've lost a few dogs those those dang things.


"What to do if your dog is attacked by a toad." That cracks me up right there. I don't think the toads are the ones doing the attackin'. A bit sensationalist.

User avatar
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 16090
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: Alabama the Beautiful
Has thanked: 219 times
Been thanked: 165 times

Re: Toads!

Post by ALACOWMAN » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:05 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
boondocks wrote:Grew up playing with frogs and snakes and turtles. Toads were a little different--we somehow got it in our peabrains that they could give you warts from their bumps. :lol:
Anyway, it's rare to see a frog or turtle around here these days. But we have toads the size of your fist hanging out on the stones outside the back door. There were 5 tonight (catching bugs, fat and sassy), and those are just the ones we saw. (When we come or go after dark, we take a flashlight so we don't step on them. Or get skunked!).
Anyway, we kept seeing fresh poo on the patio stones--doglike but a bit smaller. I said it was the toads, hubs said no way, it's too big for toads. But looks like I was right! Did ya'll know a toad could poo about half their size lol! https://morningbrayfarm.com/2010/07/15/ ... the-patio/

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/ ... 70664.html
I do my best to kill them all. We've lost a few dogs those those dang things.

Might be nice to have a few here..with theses community dogs we got..but as things seem to go here only the good ones would wind up eating them..not the wingless buzzards.
someone said I should follow my dreams,,so I went back to bed...

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7244
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 109 times

Re: Toads!

Post by M-5 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:36 pm

They make good bush hook bait for channel and Flatheads
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 18268
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx
Has thanked: 72 times
Been thanked: 239 times

Re: Toads!

Post by greybeard » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:16 am

Them little green tree frogs with the sticky suction cup feets are always climbing up my windows and sheetin on the glass in a long black stream.
I opened the tractor fender toolbox one day and one of em jumped out at me and about made me leave the seat....
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 18268
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx
Has thanked: 72 times
Been thanked: 239 times

Re: Toads!

Post by greybeard » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:14 pm

I don't like these either:

Image
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Post Reply