Hurricane Michael put electric cost in perspective.

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
ddd75
GURU
GURU

Re: Hurricane Michael put electric cost in perspective.

Postby ddd75 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:50 am

my all electric 2500 sq ft ranch with 14' ceilings this summer ran us around 100 - 130 / m with AC on. I put 2" poly iso sheets under my cool metal roof and the AC barely runs ever. Best thing I've ever done to a house.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:05 am

ddd75 wrote:my all electric 2500 sq ft ranch with 14' ceilings this summer ran us around 100 - 130 / m with AC on. I put 2" poly iso sheets under my cool metal roof and the AC barely runs ever. Best thing I've ever done to a house.

Cooling isn’t an issue with mine, if I had to do it over it wouldn’t have 18’ ceilings. I know we have many more cooling days than heating. My electric bill will run close to 300.00 for a couple months in the winter. Have to run the ceiling fans to keep from burning up upstairs or freezing to death down.
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:35 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
ddd75 wrote:my all electric 2500 sq ft ranch with 14' ceilings this summer ran us around 100 - 130 / m with AC on. I put 2" poly iso sheets under my cool metal roof and the AC barely runs ever. Best thing I've ever done to a house.

Cooling isn’t an issue with mine, if I had to do it over it wouldn’t have 18’ ceilings. I know we have many more cooling days than heating. My electric bill will run close to 300.00 for a couple months in the winter. Have to run the ceiling fans to keep from burning up upstairs or freezing to death down.

Interesting. I have tall ceilings too and winter is one of the cheapest periods for my all electric house. I don't have trees around my house to block the warming sunlight, which is a triple edged sword. High cooling costs---nothing can fall on the house, but the sunlight comes in unabated in the windows.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:55 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:Met a guy today here in Middle Georgia that works with Oncor, out of Dallas, Texas. Said he was from Paris, Texas. He was up here with a lot of other Oncor trucks working on utility lines damaged in the storm. That’s a long way from home. I guess people have responded from all over the country. I’m sure they are being compensated but it’s still a big sacrifice. Thanked him for his help. And thanks to all the others. And I can’t remember his name.

My nephew is down there. He's with Oncor. A little farther west than Dallas tho
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:21 am

It's no wonder americans have lots of money to 'consume stuff', you pay less for everything... except health care.

I know of regular 4 person house hold bills over $1000 dollars here in the winter, for 2 month periods. No barns, no machines, just the house

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:03 am

mines runs around 180 - 200 / m average in the winter with our family of 5 here all the time. heating the home to 72 degrees.

2x6 walls... R30 insulation sheets in the attic with a massive amount of blown in cellulose on top of that... with the 2" poly iso panels under the roof...

I don't even know if its raining out unless I look outside..

since they just dropped our electric rate in half I'm really going to be in high cotton.

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:12 am

We are about .12 per KWH, .14 after added fees.

I have a 22 KW propane generator. It would eat my lunch to run that for a long period.
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:32 am

HDRider wrote:We are about .12 per KWH, .14 after added fees.

I have a 22 KW propane generator. It would eat my lunch to run that for a long period.

Someone needs to build a generator with a variable speed regulator and governor so it doesn't have to run full bore to provide 200 amps and 240 volts when only 10 or 15 amps are being used.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.