What I'm seeing today

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
VAAngus
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: What I'm seeing today

Postby VAAngus » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:11 am

Now they are calling for more snow Saturday night in to Sunday morning.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:35 pm

0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:53 pm

0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:14 am

I'm sure I've been muddier than I was yesterday but I can't remember when. That's the tail end of a half mile section of pipe with a huge pneumatic hammer in the end of it. Pipe pulled really well....except the last 30 ft.
0 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Postby pricefarm » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:02 pm

ohiosteve wrote:Image
I'm sure I've been muddier than I was yesterday but I can't remember when. That's the tail end of a half mile section of pipe with a huge pneumatic hammer in the end of it. Pipe pulled really well....except the last 30 ft.

Is that a gas pipe? That's huge.
0 x

SmokinM
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SmokinM » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:27 pm

Absolutely fascinating the stuff some of you guys do. Was a pretty sharp cat that figured out how to push a half of mile of pipe that size. Is that the one that goes under the river? Sorry but you fencing boys driving pipe ain’t as impressive now.
1 x

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:44 pm

pricefarm wrote:

Is that a gas pipe? That's huge.

Yes that's a gas line. 42" diameter. Craziest part is last summer we did the same thing. It is 2 lines 20 ft apart. As we were pulling this one the first one is already live. They start in West Virginia and run into Michigan and then Branch out into Canada. There is a lot of gas in the OH/PA/WV tri-state area.
0 x

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:52 pm

SmokinM wrote:

Absolutely fascinating the stuff some of you guys do. Was a pretty sharp cat that figured out how to push a half of mile of pipe that size. Is that the one that goes under the river? Sorry but you fencing boys driving pipe ain’t as impressive now.

Yes that pipe is going under a river. It is not just pushing with the hammer, mostly the drilling rig is pulling the pipe string through the bore hole. It is only if needed that the air hammer is used. I've learned a lot in the past couple years and am still amazed that this is possible.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:12 am

ohiosteve wrote:
SmokinM wrote:

Yes that pipe is going under a river. It is not just pushing with the hammer, mostly the drilling rig is pulling the pipe string through the bore hole. It is only if needed that the air hammer is used. I've learned a lot in the past couple years and am still amazed that this is possible.

Sounds really interesting. Would like to see more about that whole process.
How does the the rig tie on to the pipe to be able to pull it? Is it a regular drilling rig?
How deep is the pipe in the ground?
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:46 am

greybeard wrote:Sounds really interesting. Would like to see more about that whole process.
How does the the rig tie on to the pipe to be able to pull it? Is it a regular drilling rig?
How deep is the pipe in the ground?

The drilling rig uses a lot of the same components as a vertical rig. Same type of hydraulic drives, same power units same mud cleaning units/shakers and same concept of pumping the drilling mud through the drill pipe and pretty much the same types of reamers. The tricky one is the pilot hole which is 12". The pilot is drilled with a bit that is powered by the drilling mud and the direction of the bit is controlled by gps. This particular bore was about 120' below surface at the deepest. After the final reamer is run through the bore 54" in this case the drill pipe is hooked to the line with a huge swivel and cable. The cable is huge, I'd say 4" diameter. The cable is hooked to the gas pipe with a huge( and I mean huge) clevis, through a pull head that is welded on the end of the pipe. Then the rig pulls the pipe through 30' at a time removing drill pipes one at a time. The gas pipe is supported on about 100 big rollers and by sidebooms with roller slings. In this picture you can see the pull head but the drill pipe is not connected yet.
2 x

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Postby pricefarm » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:37 pm

I though watching the local gas company bore a 12" or so natural gas line under a four line hwy was impressive. They don't have anything on y'all
0 x

oscarsteve
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby oscarsteve » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:56 pm

0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:41 pm

0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:47 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:Image

Trucker is from England I think.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:56 pm

SmokinM wrote:

HA! I drove a miles worth yesterday, and didn't even need 10 extra hands jammed in pockets while I worked.

Seriously, that is pretty dang neat. I'd like to see the process one day.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Return to “Coffee Shop”