Cattle problems.
kilroy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: My cattle don't seem to like minerals

Post by kilroy60 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:34 pm

slick4591 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:21 am
Not sure what the number of cattle has to do with it, but I have nine at the moment. I have a white salt block in the middle of the mineral and they are both used pretty well. The time I had the Purina out they hit the salt but turned their noses up at the mineral. The only reason I bought the Purina was because the feed store was out of the Vitaferm and they talked me into trying the Purina. The Purina must have been good for the grass because it didn't take long for the grass to green up in the area I slung it. Apparently, it doesn't have enough salt in it to kill grass.
The reason I asked about how many head of cattle he had was because he mentioned that the mineral wasn't being consumed too fast. Two head are going to consume less than 50 head. I was just trying to determine what the consumption rate was.

Yes, the cattle will hit the salt more than mineral since salt is what cattle crave. That's why you don't have to use loose salt with the wind and rain - it has salt already added. And with 16.5 to 18.5 percent salt, you're not going to kill grass with the mineral.

M & P
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by M & P » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:30 am

Sounds to me you have a problem of old mineral not tasting good, having sat out for what sounds like months the salt is long gone there for it doesn't taste good.
Putting out smaller amounts weekly or even daily would probably solve your problem

CreekAngus
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by CreekAngus » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:00 am

In the past I used Purina and my cattle inhaled the stuff, fast forward 10 years and they barely touch the stuff. I put our selenium blocks (includes salt) and they lick that thing every day. I bought some concept aid and will dump the Purina into my spreader and see if they take to the Vita-Ferm.
A brand ins’t something you earn, it’s something you live up to - John Dutton

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:27 pm

I'd also encourage everyone to pay close attention to the list of ingredients in the mineral and purchase one that has more minerals as chelates with some sulfates rather than oxides. Cattle utilize such a small amount of oxides it really doesn't matter if they consume the mineral or not.
“Tell me what you brag about and I'll tell you what you lack”

Spanish Proverb

Double R Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Double R Ranch » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:12 pm

When we were using Purina wind and rain we ended up with deficiencies. They wouldn't touch it.
When dramatic deficiencies were noticed we had to do something to get them back on track. We've used molasses tubs to get them back on track and finally found a place that can order Vitaferm for us. We are using the Vitaferm loose mineral vs the tubs as the tubs are EXTREMELY over priced to get in our area. Since putting the Vitaferm loose out they are consuming it at a reasonable rate and no deficiencies to date. Will not be using purina minerals again that for sure.

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Post by elkwc » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:53 pm

What are others paying for Vita Ferm in their area? I have been paying 30-34 a bag depending on what product and where I buy it. In the last month all the local dealers have raised prices on Heat to 44-46 dollars a bag. I can still buy it from my old dealer in the Panhandle for 32 dollars with IGR and 30 without. I paid around 30 for the Concept Aid with Mag last winter. If they raise their prices in the 40's I will be changing brands. At today's cattle prices I can't afford prices in the mid 40's.

slick4591
Mentor
Mentor

Post by slick4591 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:08 am

I'm paying $34.99 a bag and driving around 25 miles one-way to buy it. The good thing is there's a good buffet we stop at while in town.
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:28 am

Double R Ranch wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:12 pm
When we were using Purina wind and rain we ended up with deficiencies. They wouldn't touch it.
When dramatic deficiencies were noticed we had to do something to get them back on track. We've used molasses tubs to get them back on track and finally found a place that can order Vitaferm for us. We are using the Vitaferm loose mineral vs the tubs as the tubs are EXTREMELY over priced to get in our area. Since putting the Vitaferm loose out they are consuming it at a reasonable rate and no deficiencies to date. Will not be using purina minerals again that for sure.
Double R, what were the deficiencies
“Tell me what you brag about and I'll tell you what you lack”

Spanish Proverb

Double R Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Double R Ranch » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:14 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:28 am
Double R Ranch wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:12 pm
Double R, what were the deficiencies
Off the top of my head I can’t really remember. I do remember the cattle got dull coats and their backs got red instead of black. We started having breeding issues (ai) with cattle that were normally easy breeder and once back on track they were easy again. Copper deficiency and selenium comes to mind. We had white muscle disease show up as well. Haven’t had any since.