Dart Gun

Cattle problems.
wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Re: Dart Gun

Postby wbvs58 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:17 am

I have a Capchur gun and the biggest issue I have had has been with the darts themselves. I have found the charge to unload the syringe to blow out the plastic ferrules and only discharge half the dose. I have resorted to the old mop head ends on them, they have an aluminium base with an O ring and seems to be a lot stronger and reliable, just not as good a range and accuracy but in my herd I am not doing any long range shots.

Ken

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:16 pm

I shot 6 this morning. Sure glad I have it.

SIMMGAL
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SIMMGAL » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:04 am

We have and love a Penudart gun. It's a pump gun. We used to have a CO2 gun and it was handy but the power got inconsistent once you used a CO2 cartridge more than once and it got too expensive to use a new on every time. One thing that may have already been mentioned is make sure you have some sterile water on hand to add to the darts if you don't fill them all the way up with medication. (Ex-10cc dart with 5cc Duraxxin-add 5cc sterile water.) Ours paid for itself when over 3/4 of our calves ended up with pinkeye one year! We vaccinate them all now... :lol:
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cattle and that's pretty much the same thing as far as I'm concerned! ;-)

jallen
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby jallen » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:26 pm

I had a bad experience using a dart gun. I've used one a handful of times and it went fine but the last was a disaster. Rented from a vet, was supposed to be set for me to shoot from around 20-25 yds. Shot q sick calf that I couldn't catch for crap. Dart hit her right her in the hock like I wanted and thbwhole dart penetrated her. Had to get to the vet and have the whole dart removed. I'm talking almost passed through. I gave the vet I rented from an earful x10. I was beyond livid after that. Paid the man 50 to rent his gun and then had that happen. I can't testify to the yardage I shot from to the T but I was at least 25 yds. I had used a gun a half dozen times before without a hitch. Inch higher and I would have hit the calves colon.

jallen
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby jallen » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:29 pm

It literally knocked her down and when it did I knew we were in trouble. Went and got on top of her before she could get up and laid there with her until we could get a truck to us. The vet I took her to (which is the vet I had always used before but his gun was borrowed at the time) told me that ain't the first time he had seen this from the other guys gun

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:16 am

SIMMGAL wrote:We have and love a Penudart gun. It's a pump gun. We used to have a CO2 gun and it was handy but the power got inconsistent once you used a CO2 cartridge more than once and it got too expensive to use a new on every time. One thing that may have already been mentioned is make sure you have some sterile water on hand to add to the darts if you don't fill them all the way up with medication. (Ex-10cc dart with 5cc Duraxxin-add 5cc sterile water.) Ours paid for itself when over 3/4 of our calves ended up with pinkeye one year! We vaccinate them all now... :lol:

I never dilute the meds. I have 10, 8, and 5 cc darts. I also have some 1 cc darts they sent me with the gun. I have never used any of thee 1 cc darts.

midTN_Brangusman
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:36 am

Well my wonderful wife surprised me with the Capchur gun from Valley Vet for Christmas. Also got 5, 10 , 15 and 20 cc darts and a 15 pack of CO2 cartridges. Love that woman
Backward B Ranch
Registered Brangus Cattle

RanchMan90
Rancher
Rancher

Postby RanchMan90 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:01 pm

Awesome. You'll have to keep her around.
We don't rent pigs ~ Augustus McCrae

midTN_Brangusman
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:18 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:Awesome. You'll have to keep her around.

You bet Ranchman!
Backward B Ranch

SIMMGAL
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SIMMGAL » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:35 am

Dave wrote:
SIMMGAL wrote:We have and love a Penudart gun. It's a pump gun. We used to have a CO2 gun and it was handy but the power got inconsistent once you used a CO2 cartridge more than once and it got too expensive to use a new on every time. One thing that may have already been mentioned is make sure you have some sterile water on hand to add to the darts if you don't fill them all the way up with medication. (Ex-10cc dart with 5cc Duraxxin-add 5cc sterile water.) Ours paid for itself when over 3/4 of our calves ended up with pinkeye one year! We vaccinate them all now... :lol:

I never dilute the meds. I have 10, 8, and 5 cc darts. I also have some 1 cc darts they sent me with the gun. I have never used any of thee 1 cc darts.

We were told to fill them up by our sales rep for better medication delivery and to make sure the darts flew more consistently. Haven't had any problems with them yet!
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cattle and that's pretty much the same thing as far as I'm concerned! ;-)

midTN_Brangusman
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:28 am

Question on the capchur dart gun. I have had to use it three times. First time it worked perfectly. The last two times the dart has stuck in the calf for days before falling out. By then its trampled in the mud and no where to be seen. That can get expensive when they are 30 bucks a piece. I am using the barbed needle with side ports that is suppose to fall out after the drug is released. Does anyone have any experience with these and do I need a different type of needle? Thanks
Last edited by midTN_Brangusman on Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Backward B Ranch

ChrisB
GURU
GURU

Postby ChrisB » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:51 pm

I had that trouble at first. I filed the barbs down a bit and it seemed to take care of the problem. But I only use the gun as a last resort and don't have a lot of experience with it.

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:52 pm

The pnew darts are 5 bucks. They aren't reusable. Know that's doesn't help you any posting for anyone that hasn't bought yet.

midTN_Brangusman
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:25 pm

ChrisB wrote:I had that trouble at first. I filed the barbs down a bit and it seemed to take care of the problem. But I only use the gun as a last resort and don't have a lot of experience with it.

Thanks for the advice ChrisB, filed mine down and worked like a charm!

Return to “Health & Nutrition”