Dart Gun

Cattle problems.
midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Dart Gun

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:33 am

Where is the best place to get a dart gun worth the money? Would make my life a lot simpler and wouldn't have to cut one out of 70 head to give a shot.
0 x
Backward B Ranch
Registered Brangus Cattle

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Re: Dart Gun

Postby Black and Good » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:08 pm

www.Pneudart.com The one I have is the Model 178B. Been real happy with it.
0 x
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:30 pm

Black and Good wrote:http://www.Pneudart.com The one I have is the Model 178B. Been real happy with it.

Is that the pump one or CO2? How many cc's can you shoot in a single dart? Thanks
0 x
Backward B Ranch

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:33 pm

I have a Pneu dart. I don't remember the model number but it is a pump up model. I really like it. To me the advantage of a pump versus a CO2 is you know how much power you have every shot. I would hate to fill a dart with an expensive drug only to find out the CO2 is nearly out and the dart gets half way to the cow. About 8 or 9 pumps on mine and it hits them pretty hard at 20-30 yards. The biggest dart is 10 cc.
0 x

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:36 pm

Dave wrote:I have a Pneu dart. I don't remember the model number but it is a pump up model. I really like it. To me the advantage of a pump versus a CO2 is you know how much power you have every shot. I would hate to fill a dart with an expensive drug only to find out the CO2 is nearly out and the dart gets half way to the cow. About 8 or 9 pumps on mine and it hits them pretty hard at 20-30 yards. The biggest dart is 10 cc.

Dave that sounds exactly what I need. I also agree with you, we use draxxin and it is a fairly expensive drug. I will go with the pump. Thanks for your feedback and Merry Christmas!
0 x
Backward B Ranch

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:43 pm

I like the capchur gun. Not cheap, but every shot counts when your ammo is $25 a shot.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:55 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:I like the capchur gun. Not cheap, but every shot counts when your ammo is $25 a shot.

That's what I have. Knock on wood it's still in the box after about a year.

I bought it from a Vet at one of the local salebarns.
0 x
J & D Cattle

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:00 pm

midTN_Brangusman wrote:
Black and Good wrote:http://www.Pneudart.com The one I have is the Model 178B. Been real happy with it.

Is that the pump one or CO2? How many cc's can you shoot in a single dart? Thanks

Yes it's the pump-up one. 10cc's is the biggest dart they make. B&G
0 x
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:02 pm

Dave wrote:I have a Pneu dart. I don't remember the model number but it is a pump up model. I really like it. To me the advantage of a pump versus a CO2 is you know how much power you have every shot. I would hate to fill a dart with an expensive drug only to find out the CO2 is nearly out and the dart gets half way to the cow. About 8 or 9 pumps on mine and it hits them pretty hard at 20-30 yards. The biggest dart is 10 cc.

Sorry, I didn't read down far enough to know you'd already answered their question. Merry Christmas! B&G
0 x

fnfarms1
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby fnfarms1 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:59 pm

I have the MediDart cross bow. Doesn't shoot as far, 20yds or so. Have to arc it in there. But I got a Cap-Chur gun also, due to a friend loving his. I can't get it zeroed in and found that different loads etc change trajectory drastically. With my small herd, I just catch them. Besides the guns make them skiddish
0 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:12 pm

Get the one that uses the .22 blank to fire the dart.
10cc darts are about 4.50 each.
I use mine a lot. Even use it sometimes when the cattle are in the pens and I don't want to get one hot getting it to the corral.
It's a pneudart built in a marlin .22 frame.
0 x

MoCrackerCowboy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby MoCrackerCowboy » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:17 pm

jedstivers wrote:Get the one that uses the .22 blank to fire the dart.
10cc darts are about 4.50 each.
I use mine a lot. Even use it sometimes when the cattle are in the pens and I don't want to get one hot getting it to the corral.
It's a pneudart built in a marlin .22 frame.

Best one out there
Have used it several 100 times and it still as good as new and you don't have to worry about the pump up kind or c02 kind leaking
Spend the $$$ once and never spend them again
0 x
I love high heels .......

Chocolate Cow
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Chocolate Cow » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:54 pm

A word to the wise-or unwise-if you have a Pneudart rifle....find the spent dart and check it. I mean pick it up and shake it in a needle down fashion to make sure it delivered the drug. This past summer, I found that approximately 1 out of every 5 darts never delivered the medicine. They hit the mark but never detonated. The company wasn't very helpful about it. Said if I would send them the darts they would try to re-create my actions and see what went wrong. They would replace the defective darts but postage was on me.
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:23 pm

I'm in the process of ordering a pneudart gun. On the pneudart rifle.... Can you recharge the darts? Or is it one and done? Also can you put 3ccs of meds in a 10cc dart? Or does it have to be the full 10cc?
0 x
"You don't have to be a genius to be successful. Just surround yourself with smart people. And LISTEN to them" C.M.

Chocolate Cow
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Chocolate Cow » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:02 pm

I keep a variety of darts on hand. 3cc, 5, 7 & 10. Darts are not reusable. Go to their website. They have good training videos. Go through all of them. Under the 'support' category. When I first got mine, directions said to close the end of the dart with an antibiotic cream like Neosporin. Now, it seems they don't recommend doing that. I check their site from time to time to keep updated. Store your darts in a controlled environment-like somewhere in your house. Not the dash of your pickup! :roll: Someone told me about a feed lot that had gotten several cases of darts. Lots of money. And the guy who received the darts put them in an outside metal storage building. When it was discovered, the gel collars were melted on every dart. Ruined 'em all.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”