Mineral program

Cattle problems.
Rniemann
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:09 pm

Mineral program

Postby Rniemann » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:44 pm

My question is how important one of the top of the line mineral programs are..? Not just yes or no please. I'm referring to an all season program from the likes of purina or adm. I'm always suspicious of salesman. This is not just blocks, but bags etc. seems very expensive and I'm curious if it truly does pay? For our 200 head cow herd, that's more than 20k per year. Will I truly see the return? Maybe some testimonials? Sorry for rambling!
0 x

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3944
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Mineral program

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:04 pm

For starters you need to shop around for a better price.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

5S Cattle
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:55 am
Location: Brenham, Tx

Re: Mineral program

Postby 5S Cattle » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:19 pm

I did some quick numbers in my head and what I run should run about 1/4 of what they quoted you. What kind of mineral program?
0 x

Rniemann
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:09 pm

Re: Mineral program

Postby Rniemann » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:20 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:For starters you need to shop around for a better price.


I appreciate the concern true grit, but you didn't come close to being helpful. I get it, you are the best at buying mineral. We thank you for that.
0 x

Rniemann
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:09 pm

Re: Mineral program

Postby Rniemann » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:21 pm

Maybe my estimation is off. I through a number out. It's way more expensive than the $5 mineral block at farm store.
0 x

JSCATTLE
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2253
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 9:37 pm
Location: S.E TEXAS

Re: Mineral program

Postby JSCATTLE » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:02 pm

Rniemann wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:For starters you need to shop around for a better price.


I appreciate the concern true grit, but you didn't come close to being helpful. I get it, you are the best at buying mineral. We thank you for that.

This kind of response will cause your question to fall on deaf ears.. just saying.. ask your local vet or knowledgeable cattlemen what everyone in the area uses.. minerals are sometimes formulated for certain areas. As far as the salesman that shows up at the feed store I don't pay them any mind. I use wind and rain because I like it . And it's about the same price as the others.
0 x
God bless America .. 1/20/17 ..

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10302
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY

Re: Mineral program

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:30 pm

Rniemann wrote:Maybe my estimation is off. I through a number out. It's way more expensive than the $5 mineral block at farm store.


We run around 115 momma cows and keep 6-10 bulls of various stages of development around and spend around $4-5K a year on mineral.

I need to keep free choice salt out as well to cut down on the mineral consumption but I've barely mastered the art of keeping mineral out.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10302
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY

Re: Mineral program

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:30 pm

Oh, and I think the cattle prosper from having it.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 27897
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Mineral program

Postby TexasBred » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:37 pm

Rniemann wrote:My question is how important one of the top of the line mineral programs are..? Not just yes or no please. I'm referring to an all season program from the likes of purina or adm. I'm always suspicious of salesman. This is not just blocks, but bags etc. seems very expensive and I'm curious if it truly does pay? For our 200 head cow herd, that's more than 20k per year. Will I truly see the return? Maybe some testimonials? Sorry for rambling!

Ok smart a$$.....you don't like TG's answer try this one. For starters you need to shop around for a better price !!!! $12,000 of the Purina All Season AV-4 should serve you well. You're welcome. :tiphat:
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

BC
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2241
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:55 am
Location: Van Zandt County, TX

Re: Mineral program

Postby BC » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:02 pm

Most of the loose minerals I am familiar with call for the animal to eat 4 ozs per day. At that rate, each cow will consume between 91 and 92 lbs a year so figure 100 lbs per head. The mineral that I get from Northeast Texas Farmers Coop runs $46 per head a year ($46 per cwt.). That $5 mineral block you are talking about is just a brown salt block.
0 x

CaddoFarms
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:49 pm
Location: Caddo Mills, TX

Re: Mineral program

Postby CaddoFarms » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:28 pm

BC wrote:Most of the loose minerals I am familiar with call for the animal to eat 4 ozs per day. At that rate, each cow will consume between 91 and 92 lbs a year so figure 100 lbs per head. The mineral that I get from Northeast Texas Farmers Coop runs $46 per head a year ($46 per cwt.). That $5 mineral block you are talking about is just a brown salt block.


Are you talking about the coop in Greenville? Is there a specific mineral you ask for there?
0 x

talltimber
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1190
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:29 pm
Location: Southeast Missouri

Re: Mineral program

Postby talltimber » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:25 pm

Rniemann wrote:My question is how important one of the top of the line mineral programs are..? Not just yes or no please. I'm referring to an all season program from the likes of purina or adm. I'm always suspicious of salesman. This is not just blocks, but bags etc. seems very expensive and I'm curious if it truly does pay? For our 200 head cow herd, that's more than 20k per year. Will I truly see the return? Maybe some testimonials? Sorry for rambling!


Are you having problems? Why switch from what you are doing, if not having problems? More info.

Past that, I would take my concerns to your local vet to address the issues you are having. Might need mineral, might need vaccinations, might need both.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

BC
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2241
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:55 am
Location: Van Zandt County, TX

Re: Mineral program

Postby BC » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:45 pm

CaddoFarms wrote:
BC wrote:Most of the loose minerals I am familiar with call for the animal to eat 4 ozs per day. At that rate, each cow will consume between 91 and 92 lbs a year so figure 100 lbs per head. The mineral that I get from Northeast Texas Farmers Coop runs $46 per head a year ($46 per cwt.). That $5 mineral block you are talking about is just a brown salt block.


Are you talking about the coop in Greenville? Is there a specific mineral you ask for there?

I trade at the Canton store, but same company. I use the 12-12 Breeder mineral.
0 x

NolanCountyAG
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 255
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:18 pm
Location: Nolan County TX

Re: Mineral program

Postby NolanCountyAG » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:48 pm

If you want a top of the line mineral program, you need to make sure you have a white, yellow, and brown block out at all times.
0 x

bmoore87
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 253
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:35 pm

Re: Mineral program

Postby bmoore87 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:58 pm

Depends on your situation. If you cows are well fed year round and in good shape may not need it as much as someone whose cattle have to scrounge more.

I feed a cheaper mineral in the winter that is lower in some nutrients that asre in the byproducts I feed in the winter. Have heard some people test and make a custom mineral for there area to save some money.

Find a decent base mineral for most of the year and feed a top of the line mineral 30-60 days before calving and breeding
0 x


Return to “Health & Nutrition”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jschoolcraft86 and 5 guests