Mineral program

Cattle problems.
reeler
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Mineral program

Postby reeler » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:09 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Rniemann wrote:Maybe my estimation is off. I through a number out. It's way more expensive than the $5 mineral block at farm store.

We run around 115 momma cows and keep 6-10 bulls of various stages of development around and spend around $4-5K a year on mineral.

I need to keep free choice salt out as well to cut down on the mineral consumption but I've barely mastered the art of keeping mineral out.

Just my :2cents: - my neighbor mixes salt in with his mineral, & I've been doing the same. Plus, keeps a salt block out also. We both use seasonal mineral from local co-op.

TennesseeTuxedo
GURU
GURU

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:52 am

reeler wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Rniemann wrote:Maybe my estimation is off. I through a number out. It's way more expensive than the $5 mineral block at farm store.

We run around 115 momma cows and keep 6-10 bulls of various stages of development around and spend around $4-5K a year on mineral.

I need to keep free choice salt out as well to cut down on the mineral consumption but I've barely mastered the art of keeping mineral out.

Just my :2cents: - my neighbor mixes salt in with his mineral, & I've been doing the same. Plus, keeps a salt block out also. We both use seasonal mineral from local co-op.

Might be the solution.
The more I read here the less I know.

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:02 am

I never cared for the mineral that you also had to keep salt out with. I like the Purina Wind & Rain we use for many reasons but also because you don't have to feed salt separately. We use their 7.5 complete, high mag, and medicated fly control at the appropriate times of the year. I found their consumption rates to also be more accurate than several brands I've used. It's not cheap but I don't skimp with my mineral program as the benefits far outweigh the costs.
J & D Cattle

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:54 am

J&D Cattle wrote:I never cared for the mineral that you also had to keep salt out with. I like the Purina Wind & Rain we use for many reasons but also because you don't have to feed salt separately. We use their 7.5 complete, high mag, and medicated fly control at the appropriate times of the year. I found their consumption rates to also be more accurate than several brands I've used. It's not cheap but I don't skimp with my mineral program as the benefits far outweigh the costs.

mineral and salt are 2 different things , Most do both and there will be times when the salt is hit hard and other time the mineral will be hit. The salt is cheap and should be used separately and in conjunction with any good mineral IMO (which has no value to anyone but me)
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:38 am

J&D Cattle wrote:I never cared for the mineral that you also had to keep salt out with. I like the Purina Wind & Rain we use for many reasons but also because you don't have to feed salt separately. We use their 7.5 complete, high mag, and medicated fly control at the appropriate times of the year. I found their consumption rates to also be more accurate than several brands I've used. It's not cheap but I don't skimp with my mineral program as the benefits far outweigh the costs.

Unfortunately you don't always see the benefits immediately but you definitely will see the consequences of NOT having a good mineral program pretty quickly.
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:48 am

TexasBred wrote:

Unfortunately you don't always see the benefits immediately but you definitely will see the consequences of NOT having a good mineral program pretty quickly.

You got that right TB, some benefits are hard to measure or pin point specifically. I can say that I haven't had to pay attention to flies at all in 3 years with their fly control mineral. The time and money spent with that alone were well worth it. Others in my area have lost several to anaplasmosis too and we haven't had any issues and will continue to use their medicated mineral.
J & D Cattle

reeler
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby reeler » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:30 pm

Appreciate your input. I use medicated fly control also, & getting ready to purchase.Do I need a prescription from vet to buy it since the new laws are in effect?

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:10 am

Freakin' enhanced income program for Vets... got billed by vet last month for phone call our feed man placed to our
vet on our behalf.

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:10 am

reeler wrote:

Appreciate your input. I use medicated fly control also, & getting ready to purchase.Do I need a prescription from vet to buy it since the new laws are in effect?

I was told yes. My vet is supposed to come out this week or next to do my farm visit and will then write the scrip. With as warm as it's been I'll probably start on it sooner than normal.
J & D Cattle

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:24 am

IGR is not an antibiotic so no script necessary. If you buy a mineral with CTC in it most likely you will need script from the vet.
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

JSCATTLE
GURU
GURU

Postby JSCATTLE » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:44 am

J&D Cattle wrote:
reeler wrote:

I was told yes. My vet is supposed to come out this week or next to do my farm visit and will then write the scrip. With as warm as it's been I'll probably start on it sooner than normal.

Sounds like the vet wants to make money off you . Igr isn't an antibiotic. You can buy wind and rain with fly control at tractor supply .
God bless America .. 1/20/17 ..

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:29 pm

TexasBred wrote:IGR is not an antibiotic so no script necessary. If you buy a mineral with CTC in it most likely you will need script from the vet.

Yes, their medicated fly control 5600 requires a VFD. We buy the 5600 to aide in the prevention of anaplasmosis.
J & D Cattle

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:31 pm

JSCATTLE wrote:
J&D Cattle wrote:
reeler wrote:Appreciate your input. I use medicated fly control also, & getting ready to purchase.Do I need a prescription from vet to buy it since the new laws are in effect?

Sounds like the vet wants to make money off you . Igr isn't an antibiotic. You can buy wind and rain with fly control at tractor supply .

VFD is required for their medicated 5600 fly control mineral. Fly control by itself does not require a VFD.
J & D Cattle

JSCATTLE
GURU
GURU

Postby JSCATTLE » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:46 pm

J&D Cattle wrote:
JSCATTLE wrote:
J&D Cattle wrote:

VFD is required for their medicated 5600 fly control mineral. Fly control by itself does not require a VFD.

I don't think I've ever seeneed much less thought about feeding medicated mineral. I don't agree with feeding antibiotics to every animal.
God bless America .. 1/20/17 ..

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:52 pm

No problem with anaplasmosis there I assume then. Or pinkeye either?
buckwheat

Return to “Health & Nutrition”