Mineral program

Cattle problems.
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Mineral program

Postby TexasBred » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:59 pm

J&D Cattle wrote:
TexasBred wrote:IGR is not an antibiotic so no script necessary. If you buy a mineral with CTC in it most likely you will need script from the vet.

Yes, their medicated fly control 5600 requires a VFD. We buy the 5600 to aide in the prevention of anaplasmosis.

BUT it requires the script ONLY because it contains the CTC.....not because of the IGR.
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:01 pm

JSCATTLE wrote:
J&D Cattle wrote:
JSCATTLE wrote:Sounds like the vet wants to make money off you . Igr isn't an antibiotic. You can buy wind and rain with fly control at tractor supply .

VFD is required for their medicated 5600 fly control mineral. Fly control by itself does not require a VFD.

I don't think I've ever seeneed much less thought about feeding medicated mineral. I don't agree with feeding antibiotics to every animal.

Me either JS. The same for medicated feed.
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:10 pm

Let a third of them fall over with anaplas and you will, or be out of the business.
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:27 pm

Is Wind & Rain available with Altsoid and hi-mag in one mixture?
I've seen it all-season and with fly control, but not the above.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:50 pm

Yes, but it's also medicated, but only with 2800 au, on the information page I found. Didn't show a non medicated, altosid, hi mag. For what they are, their website aint worth a be nice. I find it hard to find the products at times.
Check product number 0040315 to see if that's what you are looking for.

Supposedly they are working on a hi mag/av4/au. Not seen sign of that yet. I mix my own, since I couldn't find what I wanted. Hi mag straight is what I buy, then add my AD&E. Also fly control, CTC when needed. Too easy. According to an old vet who had since retired, the au levels and ade levels we had available wasn't enough anyway. Rabon is easy enough to come by.
Last edited by talltimber on Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:07 pm

JSCATTLE wrote:
J&D Cattle wrote:
JSCATTLE wrote:Sounds like the vet wants to make money off you . Igr isn't an antibiotic. You can buy wind and rain with fly control at tractor supply .

VFD is required for their medicated 5600 fly control mineral. Fly control by itself does not require a VFD.

I don't think I've ever seeneed much less thought about feeding medicated mineral. I don't agree with feeding antibiotics to every animal.

I guess I see it exactly the opposite and see where lots of thought went in to it by myself and my vet to aid in the prevention of a disease which kills quite a few cattle in my area.
J & D Cattle

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:08 pm

TexasBred wrote:
J&D Cattle wrote:
TexasBred wrote:IGR is not an antibiotic so no script necessary. If you buy a mineral with CTC in it most likely you will need script from the vet.

Yes, their medicated fly control 5600 requires a VFD. We buy the 5600 to aide in the prevention of anaplasmosis.

BUT it requires the script ONLY because it contains the CTC.....not because of the IGR.

Exactly.
J & D Cattle

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:30 pm

That 0040315 will work, tho I've never seen anaplasmosis here, and the only medicated feed I have used was creep feed.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:36 pm

Side bar: au is thought to help prevent pinkeye as well, it's off label though, iirc. There are guys here that have trouble with pinkeye in the winter that are feeding the au for "winter time anaplasmosis". Covers the pinkeye thing under the vfd for ctc for anaplas prevention.

That's all rumor though I'm sure.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:19 am

talltimber wrote:Let a third of them fall over with anaplas and you will, or be out of the business.

Wow....a third huh?? Must have a hellacious tick problem in your cattle. Really not a problem around here.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:20 am

talltimber wrote:Side bar: au is thought to help prevent pinkeye as well, it's off label though, iirc. There are guys here that have trouble with pinkeye in the winter that are feeding the au for "winter time anaplasmosis". Covers the pinkeye thing under the vfd for ctc for anaplas prevention.

That's all rumor though I'm sure.

That would be "extra label".

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:34 pm

I'm sure you got my point, but good on you.

https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/Re ... 380135.htm

You didn't have to tell me you don't have an anaplas problem. I knew you didn't by the way you let on.

Knock on wood. I haven't had any losses, yet. And, I might have exaggerated on the third as far as I know, but last summer a guy near me lost three out of 16 to it, and they were on medicated mineral. So yeah, that's close enough to a third for me. We do have a tick problem, and a horse fly problem at times as well. I have heard that it's really the ticks but an old school vet thought the horse flies didn't help things any either.

But, I'll go ahead and correct myself just to screw you out of the chance. Change that to 18.75% losses and a guy might think about preventing it.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:23 pm

talltimber wrote:I'm sure you got my point, but good on you.

https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/Re ... 380135.htm

You didn't have to tell me you don't have an anaplas problem. I knew you didn't by the way you let on.

Knock on wood. I haven't had any losses, yet. And, I might have exaggerated on the third as far as I know, but last summer a guy near me lost three out of 16 to it, and they were on medicated mineral. So yeah, that's close enough to a third for me. We do have a tick problem, and a horse fly problem at times as well. I have heard that it's really the ticks but an old school vet thought the horse flies didn't help things any either.

But, I'll go ahead and correct myself just to screw you out of the chance. Change that to 18.75% losses and a guy might think about preventing it.

Go for it buckwheat.

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:44 pm

Anaplasmosis is not a problem here, but I have a friend 75 miles northeast of me that fights it every year. If you have it in your area you know the problems and the need for mass treatment.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:56 am

BC wrote:Most of the loose minerals I am familiar with call for the animal to eat 4 ozs per day. At that rate, each cow will consume between 91 and 92 lbs a year so figure 100 lbs per head. The mineral that I get from Northeast Texas Farmers Coop runs $46 per head a year ($46 per cwt.). That $5 mineral block you are talking about is just a brown salt block.

:shock:

100 lbs a cow........I hadn't ever done that calculation. I'd have to dig through my feed tickets, but mine might consume 1/2 oz a day.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Return to “Health & Nutrition”