dehorning paste?

Cattle problems.
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

dehorning paste?

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:18 pm

I've actually used it on bottle calves. Stuff works pretty good. I've never put it on one, that was out running with the cow. Will it work under those conditions?
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: dehorning paste?

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:19 pm

Bigfoot wrote:I've actually used it on bottle calves. Stuff works pretty good. I've never put it on one, that was out running with the cow. Will it work under those conditions?

Yes
I am the NRA

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:28 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:I've actually used it on bottle calves. Stuff works pretty good. I've never put it on one, that was out running with the cow. Will it work under those conditions?

Yes

Did you put a patch of duct tape over it or anything? Thought that might help. I could see them rubbing the paste of sucking, or even the old cow licking it off.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:46 pm

I have used it on a lot of bottle calves. I have also had a couple of those calves get a ear folded over while rubbing its head and burn a hole through its ear. For that reason I never use it on a calf who is sucking a cow. I use a hot iron on those calves. Although my preference is to dehorn 283 days before birth.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:54 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:

Yes

Did you put a patch of duct tape over it or anything? Thought that might help. I could see them rubbing the paste of sucking, or even the old cow licking it off.

I haven't used it in years as I dehorn at conception now.
I put vasolene around on the hair area and treated the bud with a small dab of paste a couple times over the course of a month.
I am the NRA

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:56 pm

Dave wrote:I have used it on a lot of bottle calves. I have also had a couple of those calves get a ear folded over while rubbing its head and burn a hole through its ear. For that reason I never use it on a calf who is sucking a cow. I use a hot iron on those calves. Although my preference is to dehorn 283 days before birth.

My preference to, but I've got 20 some odd heifers fixing to start calving from a LH bull. Many will be poleed anyway, but a few won't.

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:50 pm

I have a cheap pair of cordless clippers. I give em a buzz, apply paste, and cover with duct tape.

Ive also thought a quick singe with a propane torch may be enough to clear the hair out of the way. But haven't tried that yet - My clippers suck though, so it may not be far off.

The tape will help with licking and also the calf transferring it to her udder.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:49 pm

I've never needed to use the duct tape over it... The paste works well if applied properly to the bud.. enough of it, but not so much it runs off
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

cattle60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby cattle60 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:37 pm

Paste I use, says You are supposed to keep calf away from cow for 6 to 8 hours after application.

skeeter swatter
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby skeeter swatter » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:06 pm

When I used it I would part the hair and just cover the bud. Did them as newborns, worked fine.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:08 am

skeeter swatter wrote:When I used it I would part the hair and just cover the bud. Did them as newborns, worked fine.

yep, that has worked for me as well
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Return to “Health & Nutrition”