Does he look sick?

Cattle problems.
User avatar
mightyarrowsfarm
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:12 am

Does he look sick?

Postby mightyarrowsfarm » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:41 am

I was told by others that our bull calf, who will be a steer soon...looks sick. We've given him a dose of draxin and just wormed him.

what else should we do?? We are all new to this.


Image

User avatar
farmerjan
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 951
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:54 pm
Location: Shenandoah ValleyVirginia

Re: Does he look sick?

Postby farmerjan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:07 am

Who told you he looked sick and what are the symptoms? Why does he look sick? How old is he? Not near enough information to even make a second guess. Why the draxxin? Did a vet look at him?

User avatar
jkwilson
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1163
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:02 am
Location: Southern Indiana

Re: Does he look sick?

Postby jkwilson » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:22 am

Kind of pot gutted, head low and coarse hair, I can see how somebody might think he was sick. But he's obviously calm so that might explain the head low.

How does he eat? How easy is it to feel his ribs?

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9729
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY

Re: Does he look sick?

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:25 am

Nice facilities.
The more I read here the less I know.

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5220
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: Does he look sick?

Postby M-5 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:08 am

the nose doesn't look snotty , maybe they were trying to say that they thought a good worming was in order and you just did that so in a few weeks you should start seeing those results. does he have any pasture mates ??
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

User avatar
Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2201
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:43 am
Location: SW MO
Contact:

Re: Does he look sick?

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:21 pm

ALWAYS temp a calf when in doubt. It will tell you more than just looking at him. You can go buy a cheap thermometer at Walmart or any store, digital, and get a temp on easily, especially since he is halter broke and calm.
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 813
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:33 pm
Location: North Central Texas

Re: Does he look sick?

Postby bird dog » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:48 pm

Was he sick when he was a calf? Looks kind of like he may have some permanent damage from something in the past.

User avatar
Rafter S
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3287
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:13 am
Location: Grimes County, TX

Re: Does he look sick?

Postby Rafter S » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:12 pm

bird dog wrote:Was he sick when he was a calf? Looks kind of like he may have some permanent damage from something in the past.


I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks he looks stunted.
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

User avatar
mightyarrowsfarm
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:12 am

Re: Does he look sick?

Postby mightyarrowsfarm » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:31 am

Rafter S wrote:
bird dog wrote:Was he sick when he was a calf? Looks kind of like he may have some permanent damage from something in the past.


I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks he looks stunted.


We honestly have no idea...we were told he was from a breeder in North Florida. We bought him from a cow broker. They said September birth date, but has recently said no October. He won't give me any inclination as to where he's from. He was never sick...just on here, someone mentioned they thought he might be. He's been given Draxxin and wormed. He's pretty calm and chill for a pasture calf. He was green when we got him in January.

I'm just not sure...the broker told us to give him Multimin, Vitamin A, D, and E.

We shaved him yesterday and hoping that helps. He had 3" long hair.


Image

Image

Image
Last edited by mightyarrowsfarm on Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rafter S
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3287
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:13 am
Location: Grimes County, TX

Re: Does he look sick?

Postby Rafter S » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:38 am

mightyarrowsfarm wrote:
Rafter S wrote:
bird dog wrote:Was he sick when he was a calf? Looks kind of like he may have some permanent damage from something in the past.


I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks he looks stunted.


We honestly have no idea...we were told he was from a breeder in North Florida. We bought him from a cow broker. They said September birth date, but has recently said no October. He won't give me any inclination as to where he's from. He was never sick...just on here, someone mentioned they thought he might be. He's been given Draxxin and wormed. He's pretty calm and chill for a pasture calf. He was green when we got him in January.

I'm just not sure...the broker told us to give him Multimin, Vitamin A, D, and E.

We shaved him yesterday and hoping that helps. He had 3" long hair.


I would avoid that broker in the future.
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 813
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:33 pm
Location: North Central Texas

Re: Does he look sick?

Postby bird dog » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:55 am

I would bet he is a chronic with lung damage. I have one also so don't feel alone. Mine is still on her mother but doesn't grow as well, move as well, or look as well as the other calves in the herd. Completely my fault. The calf was on a place with no facilities and it got sick and I hadn't been out there for a few days because of the mud and took another couple days to get it caught. By then the damage was done. The drugs took away the cough and runny nose but you can't fix the damage. I have had a couple in the past. They and this one are noted for hair that does not shed off, pot belly and are lethargic. When its hot they won't leave the shade tree and pant like a dog. He will continue to grow, just at a much slower pace than you would like. Good luck.

User avatar
Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6016
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:34 pm
Location: Ctrl Virginia

Re: Does he look sick?

Postby Workinonit Farm » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:43 pm

Why did you shave him, in February?
Live each day as if it were your last.

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5220
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: Does he look sick?

Postby M-5 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:51 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:Why did you shave him, in February?

I suspect they are in my general area and right now its skinny dipping weather.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

User avatar
Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6016
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:34 pm
Location: Ctrl Virginia

Re: Does he look sick?

Postby Workinonit Farm » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:04 pm

M-5 wrote:
Workinonit Farm wrote:Why did you shave him, in February?

I suspect they are in my general area and right now its skinny dipping weather.


Ahhhhh, okay. I wondered about that. I do not know where they are located.
Thx.
Live each day as if it were your last.

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5220
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: Does he look sick?

Postby M-5 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:07 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:
M-5 wrote:
Workinonit Farm wrote:Why did you shave him, in February?

I suspect they are in my general area and right now its skinny dipping weather.


Ahhhhh, okay. I wondered about that. I do not know where they are located.
Thx.

Idk either but they said the purchased calf from a broker in North FL.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK


Return to “Health & Nutrition”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MShaffer and 3 guests