You ever have one vanish??????

Cattle problems.
User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9751
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY

Re: You ever have one vanish??????

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:59 am

TCRanch wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
TCRanch wrote:For the first time we had one disappear yesterday. Mama was by the bales in the morning, didn't see the calf but figured she had it hidden or bedded down somewhere because she was just eating hay like nothing was wrong. By afternoon she was pitching a fit. We looked all over and she followed us part of the time, sniffing the ground like a blood hound, and went back to the bale area & bellowed for hours. Waiting for it to get light and heading back out. This is (was?) a perfectly healthy 6 day old bull calf and her 6th, she's an excellent mama. What the???


I hope he turns up. Keep us posted.


Had a hard time going to sleep last night because I could still hear her bellowing but I'll be darned if they were both with the herd this morning!!!! :banana:


Wonderful!
The more I read here the less I know.

User avatar
farmerjan
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 956
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:54 pm
Location: Shenandoah ValleyVirginia

Re: You ever have one vanish??????

Postby farmerjan » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:22 pm

Had one disappear from a group of weaned heifers from a pasture where we would run them for the summer. No cattle on other sides so a good place to put heifers we didn't want to get bred. The power co was replacing the old towers and putting up new ones and had done alot of clearing and building roads etc. There was over 1,000 acres of land that had some trails and such for the local foxhound club to also ride horses on. This heifer was seen a couple of times and was wild as a deer. Tried twice to get her back and she would just dive into the brush and disappear again. Then nothing. Figured she died or wound up somewhere. The couple of farmers that had cattle in the area knew about her and they were all good about our stuff getting on them and their stuff getting on us so we just wrote her off.
The following year one called us and said they had a heifer in with their bulls and had put her in the barn, thought she was ours. She went through the window of the barn and was back out with the bulls. So I said that I would bring the trailer and as soon as they ran them in the barn and let the bulls out we loaded her on the trailer. It was mine, and I had already decided that she would go to the stockyards the next friday to the sale. In 3 days, she was coming in the barn with the smaller calves we had on feed, and she was checked preg so decided to take a chance and see if she would settle down. She had her 3rd calf and is one of the first in the barn/catch pen. Don't know why she had gone so rogue, but has settled down to be a good cow. I wouldn't have given you 10 cents to her staying in long enough to go to the sale......

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10526
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: You ever have one vanish??????

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:59 am

Coyotes killed one last night. I guess I know now where the one vanished went.
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9751
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY

Re: You ever have one vanish??????

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:13 am

Bigfoot wrote:Coyotes killed one last night. I guess I know now where the one vanished went.


Time to set some snares.
The more I read here the less I know.

User avatar
Ky hills
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 798
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: Clark County, KY

Re: You ever have one vanish??????

Postby Ky hills » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:27 am

Bigfoot wrote:Coyotes killed one last night. I guess I know now where the one vanished went.


Sorry to hear that. They are a costly nuisance for sure. I hope you can get rid of them. I was just reading an article in the Cow Country news where I think it was a UK professor was trying to make difference between good coyotes and bad ones. I got so aggravated at that article, anyone who has lost calves and sheep to coyotes knows that if they haven't killed livestock it's just a matter of time until they do.

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10526
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: You ever have one vanish??????

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:59 am

I don't think Ive ever lost one to coyotes before. There is absolutely no question on this one. About has to be where the other one went. Almost impossible to kill the things. For me anyways.
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

User avatar
farmerjan
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 956
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:54 pm
Location: Shenandoah ValleyVirginia

Re: You ever have one vanish??????

Postby farmerjan » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:35 pm

There are some different thoughts to the "good coyotes - bad coyotes". Has to do with the establishment of their range and that some are more inclined to go after larger prey then others. The concensus is if they are not bothering the cows/sheep/chickens, then don't kill them as they have established a dominance and that they will keep others out. For 2 years there was a pair at one place and they were seen often digging for mice and small game. Never bothered the cows with small calves, and the cows just ignored them in the field. Then some neighbors decided they "had to kill them" because they MIGHT bother their chickens, and someone told them that "all coyotes were killers and they needed to stop the problem before it started.
Well, they did kill one, the male I think; then the other was seen fighting with a new one (different coloration so we knew it was new to the area) and not 2 weeks later the cows were all in an uproar and the people started losing chickens. We finally wound up shooting one that had taken to running the new calves, and had the cows in a nervous state all the time. So there is something to it, but you don't know if you get the "good ones" when they show up. But we have been careful to watch and if they aren't causing a problem, we leave well enough alone like that pair. If we have a problem, then it is war on whatever ones we see.
Have some here that I hear about every 2-3 weeks, but they don't come down to bother the chickens in their "moveable" pens, so I leave well enough alone. There are a large number of barn cats here and I haven't noticed any thinning of the ranks, so they must not be bothering them either.

User avatar
Ky hills
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 798
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: Clark County, KY

Re: You ever have one vanish??????

Postby Ky hills » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:18 pm

farmerjan wrote:There are some different thoughts to the "good coyotes - bad coyotes". Has to do with the establishment of their range and that some are more inclined to go after larger prey then others. The concensus is if they are not bothering the cows/sheep/chickens, then don't kill them as they have established a dominance and that they will keep others out. For 2 years there was a pair at one place and they were seen often digging for mice and small game. Never bothered the cows with small calves, and the cows just ignored them in the field. Then some neighbors decided they "had to kill them" because they MIGHT bother their chickens, and someone told them that "all coyotes were killers and they needed to stop the problem before it started.
Well, they did kill one, the male I think; then the other was seen fighting with a new one (different coloration so we knew it was new to the area) and not 2 weeks later the cows were all in an uproar and the people started losing chickens. We finally wound up shooting one that had taken to running the new calves, and had the cows in a nervous state all the time. So there is something to it, but you don't know if you get the "good ones" when they show up. But we have been careful to watch and if they aren't causing a problem, we leave well enough alone like that pair. If we have a problem, then it is war on whatever ones we see.
Have some here that I hear about every 2-3 weeks, but they don't come down to bother the chickens in their "moveable" pens, so I leave well enough alone. There are a large number of barn cats here and I haven't noticed any thinning of the ranks, so they must not be bothering them either.


The article I read was speaking about their range and habits, which I think there is merit to. I see coyotes as being opportunistic, and if they haven't bothered livestock, it's more because they haven't needed to but would if they had a need or saw the opportunity. When I was a child there were no coyotes around, domestic dogs were the biggest problem for livestock owners. Then the dog problems decreased with only sporadic incidents, about the same time coyotes were becoming more noticeable. Foxes became fewer, although some seem to have apparently taken up residence close to the house and yard. The other morning, I stopped and got off the tractor to investigate something odd looking, turns out to have been the tail, and part of red fox.

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10526
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: You ever have one vanish??????

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:30 pm

My personal policy is to not get mad when I lose one. My blessings run deep, and they are not of a financial nature. I was pretty mad from finding the calf this morning, til about lunch. Wish I hadn't got caught up in that.
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9751
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY

Re: You ever have one vanish??????

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:35 pm

Bigfoot wrote:My personal policy is to not get mad when I lose one. My blessings run deep, and they are not of a financial nature. I was pretty mad from finding the calf this morning, til about lunch. Wish I hadn't got caught up in that.


Did you actually see the coyotes take down the calf Bigfoot?
The more I read here the less I know.

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10526
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: You ever have one vanish??????

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:05 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:My personal policy is to not get mad when I lose one. My blessings run deep, and they are not of a financial nature. I was pretty mad from finding the calf this morning, til about lunch. Wish I hadn't got caught up in that.


Did you actually see the coyotes take down the calf Bigfoot?


They were leaving as I was coming. Signs of struggle, even some lung blood.
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

tja477t
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:00 am

Re: You ever have one vanish??????

Postby tja477t » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:13 pm

we brought the cows in one night to milk. around one of their necks was a mans leather belt. we milked at 1 and 1 so i wonder how far we missed him by. i bet he was in the pasture when we went to bring them in. probably surprised we were out and about at midnight.

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9751
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY

Re: You ever have one vanish??????

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:14 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:My personal policy is to not get mad when I lose one. My blessings run deep, and they are not of a financial nature. I was pretty mad from finding the calf this morning, til about lunch. Wish I hadn't got caught up in that.


Did you actually see the coyotes take down the calf Bigfoot?


They were leaving as I was coming. Signs of struggle, even some lung blood.


We've snared 8 so far since December. All under woven wire fences where you can tell they've been moving between fields.

Personally I'm not convinced they are as big a threat to cattle as others here believe but my farm manager is on the warpath against them because he's a turkey and rabbit hunting fool and the are major predators of baby birds and rabbits.

In the winter of 2014 a professional trapper killed 19 on our place and the majority were coy-dogs which meant the pelts weren't worth much so he never came back to trap anymore after that season.
The more I read here the less I know.

User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1857
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS

Re: You ever have one vanish??????

Postby TCRanch » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:25 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:My personal policy is to not get mad when I lose one. My blessings run deep, and they are not of a financial nature. I was pretty mad from finding the calf this morning, til about lunch. Wish I hadn't got caught up in that.


Did you actually see the coyotes take down the calf Bigfoot?


They were leaving as I was coming. Signs of struggle, even some lung blood.


Oh how awful! Sorry to hear that.

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10526
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: You ever have one vanish??????

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:30 pm

Didn't lose any last night. Found the back hooves and pelvis to the MIA yesterday. Same MO as the other. Nabbing the calf from the herd, and dragging it outside of the area that the cows are fenced in. I assume the cows are putting up some fight. I put some feelers out to a couple of retired guys, that like to coyote hunt. Even if they come, I know they won't make a dent in it.
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.


Return to “Health & Nutrition”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests