You ever have one vanish??????

Cattle problems.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: You ever have one vanish??????

Postby greybeard » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:29 pm

"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
"The hottest places in Hades are for those who in time of great moral crises remain neutral" Dante

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:35 pm

Had a full term still born lat night. counting the MIA, thats 2, out of 52 or 53 born so far. My death loss is going to be a little high this year.
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:31 pm

I grafted 2 Holstein bull calves on the cow with a still born. They both sucked while she ate sweet feed this afternoon. Didn't have to tie her thankfully. Hopefully, they all 3 fall in line, and do what they're supposed to. I'll pull one of them at 3 months, and the other at 7. I was just glad to hopefully not have to sell her.
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:38 am

greybeard wrote:Image

It happens. Sometimes they leave a little hair and the ear tag behind. :nod:
Stocker Steve

Farm Fence Solutions
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:38 am

A few winters ago, we caught a pair in the state forest that had been on the lam for a while. A steer and a heifer that looked to be 2ish and weighed 8 or so. The guy that we tracked down as the suspected owner (before we caught them) didn't lay any claim to them. I think he was more worried about the liability of them getting hit in the road than he was about doing the right thing, but one way or the other, they disappeared from somewhere.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

midTN_Brangusman
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:02 pm

greybeard wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:Seems like I do every year. Sometimes 2. No sign, no nothing. You always wonder what happened. Then you gotta sell the cow. That's a big loss to. Was it a dog, a coyote, Mexican buzzards-------------frustrating.

One in early fall , 2015. I saw it nursing, maybe 2 days old and looked plenty healthy. Never saw it again and being a fairly small place, I check all mine at least every other day. No hair, no bones, no hide--no nothin. I want to think someone got it, but how they could run down one of those fleet footed chars is a puzzle.

Greybeard it couldn't have been cowgirl8's cat could it? :hide:

SIMMGAL
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SIMMGAL » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:21 pm

Anything is possible, most likely gut drug off. Most recent one to vanish somehow got into our bale storage and wedged himself in between 2 bales. :roll:
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cattle and that's pretty much the same thing as far as I'm concerned! ;-)

talltimber
Rancher
Rancher

Postby talltimber » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:28 pm

I was quizzing Dad one day about different things. One of them was if they had ever had any trouble with coyotes getting small calves. He said no, but had one disappear on them a number of years ago that they couldn't explain. Never seen hide nor hair of him.
buckwheat

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:57 pm

Had coyotes get a gimpy calf a couple summers back. Found the bones and chewed up tag inside the treeline. He was knuckled over, but getting around alright - didnt think the coyotes would try him mid summer.

riquezada
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby riquezada » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:39 pm

We had a few day old calf come up missing for eight days. I thought it might still be around as the cow never called for it and then about 4-5 days into it missing I seen some calf poop on her ear...so I knew she just had it hid. Eight days later it reappeared and all was fine...
RQuezada

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:03 pm

I have hunted for a missing calf for 3 weeks and realized tonight it was a heifer and her calf that I had moved to another farm so I could feed the heifer a little. I hadn't changed my records and just wasn't thinking I guess.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT 2009
I was born lazy, but too broke to be lazy. Red Bull Breeder

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:23 am

For the first time we had one disappear yesterday. Mama was by the bales in the morning, didn't see the calf but figured she had it hidden or bedded down somewhere because she was just eating hay like nothing was wrong. By afternoon she was pitching a fit. We looked all over and she followed us part of the time, sniffing the ground like a blood hound, and went back to the bale area & bellowed for hours. Waiting for it to get light and heading back out. This is (was?) a perfectly healthy 6 day old bull calf and her 6th, she's an excellent mama. What the???

TennesseeTuxedo
GURU
GURU

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:45 am

TCRanch wrote:For the first time we had one disappear yesterday. Mama was by the bales in the morning, didn't see the calf but figured she had it hidden or bedded down somewhere because she was just eating hay like nothing was wrong. By afternoon she was pitching a fit. We looked all over and she followed us part of the time, sniffing the ground like a blood hound, and went back to the bale area & bellowed for hours. Waiting for it to get light and heading back out. This is (was?) a perfectly healthy 6 day old bull calf and her 6th, she's an excellent mama. What the???

I hope he turns up. Keep us posted.
Wake me when we reach Scranton.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:21 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
TCRanch wrote:For the first time we had one disappear yesterday. Mama was by the bales in the morning, didn't see the calf but figured she had it hidden or bedded down somewhere because she was just eating hay like nothing was wrong. By afternoon she was pitching a fit. We looked all over and she followed us part of the time, sniffing the ground like a blood hound, and went back to the bale area & bellowed for hours. Waiting for it to get light and heading back out. This is (was?) a perfectly healthy 6 day old bull calf and her 6th, she's an excellent mama. What the???

I hope he turns up. Keep us posted.

Had a hard time going to sleep last night because I could still hear her bellowing but I'll be darned if they were both with the herd this morning!!!! :banana:

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:26 am

That's always a good morning.
Cows are good, more cows are better.

Return to “Health & Nutrition”