Bred heifer trying to suck

Cattle problems.
farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Re: Bred heifer trying to suck

Postby farmerjan » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:57 pm

Wherever you put her, try the anti-suck nose ring. Well, except with the bulls.... If you put her in with the open heifers, and she tries to suck them, then she can ruin their udders. But if she gets a good solid kick a couple of times, she might just give it up. The problem with putting it in her nose, and putting her with the cows that have calves, the mommas might get a little kicky towards any calf, even their own, and if their own calf goes on them and this heifer tries to suck, then everyone gets kicked......
If you have steers, run her with them. Maybe once she calves she will not try. If you like her that much then it is worth it to try a couple of other things. Who knows, maybe she just needed some liquid calcium... :roll: :roll: :bs: :bs:
If she does it again.....hit the road jack... :deadhorse: :deadhorse:
Usually takes 2-4 weeks for a cow to really dry up after pulling a calf. They will pretty much stop producing in about 5-8 days, but if something were to start sucking them they might start again, or worse, get mastitis so at least 2 -3 weeks minimum.

jerry27150
GURU
GURU

Postby jerry27150 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:35 pm

bred heifer, I would put bull ring in with 6-7 inches of chain

Double R Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Double R Ranch » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:21 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
Aaron wrote:Down the road she goes.

What happened to the good old nose ring routine?

I've used them a time or two.
Bought a show heifer some years ago. Turned her out and later caught her doing that same thing. Put a crown weaning ring in for 6 months. Never had a problem with her again. She had 9 babies for me with no sucking on other cows or herself after the nose ring was removed. Would do it again in a heartbeat after how well it's worked on two different occasions that I can think of off the top of my head.

Return to “Health & Nutrition”