Bred heifer trying to suck

Cattle problems.
talltimber
GURU
GURU

Bred heifer trying to suck

Postby talltimber » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:13 am

Was walking through the cows yesterday and noticed a fracas, an old cow boxing one of my bred heifers around, running her off a couple of steps and stopped. So, I just thought well that old bitty. Didn't pay much more attention than that. Noticed another, same heifer, trying to suck a cow with a calf by side sucking, heifer from back and cow caught her and run her off. Then, I saw her on another later, from the back, guess cow wasn't paying attention and I run her off. Apparently she's not working one cow, but whoever will let her/whoever is not watching. This heifer is 18 mo and should be bred, raised by me, not with cows until my two yr olds calved which was late summer/fall. I have not noticed her trying to suck them while they were together. I turned the bred heifers and dry two olds out with the old pairs to make them lunch up on their own. Well I guess she figured that out pretty quick, just not how I wanted. Any experiences with this, will she quit when she calves you think? I can run her with my calves this spring for a while with no trouble. But if she is going to do it her whole life I may as well ship her before she calves this fall. I will be weaning the old cows in a month from now, cows will dry up, then I can move her back out with them for the summer.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Bred heifer trying to suck

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:23 am

Milk thief just hauled one to the barn a few weeks ago. She is not worth a pinch of dried up monkey shyt in the pasture if she is. She needs to grow wheels.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:24 am

I would ship her now
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:30 am

Down the road she goes.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:34 am

Yeah, they don't change their ways. Believe it or not, I had one that would suck herself. Had to sell her.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

MRRherefords
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MRRherefords » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:16 am

Time to get rid of her.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:36 am

She's old enough that if you were ever going to break the habit, it would have happened by now... no use for them kind
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:20 pm

As others have said, she is not likely to stop that behavior and should be sold.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:30 pm

I agree, she needs to go. Another thing, if you were to run her with your heifers, she could try sucking them and will damage/ruin their udders and some might come in as only having 2 good quarters....Then they would get shipped if they didn't raise a good calf and it wouldn't have been their fault. You might want to check the ones she has been with and see how their udders look when they calve....Just tested a dairy that had a 1st calf heifer come in the barn and has been caught sucking some of the cows. There are 2 or 3 other heifers from that same group that have come in with good 3 teats, and one that has only 2 good teats. I told them it was 99% chance it was that sucking heifer that ruined their udders.....
0 x

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:44 pm

Probably right. Man that bites. I raised her, she is a calf out of a 9 or 10 yo commercial cow and cc&7 son, bred to a Black Granite son. I have prettier, but her Momma is a stayer and raises dandies every year. I had hopes for her.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:55 pm

Aaron wrote:Down the road she goes.

What happened to the good old nose ring routine?
0 x
Stocker Steve

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:57 pm

I had that presented as a way to train the old cows to wreck her every time she tries. I'm thinking it would work
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:59 pm

talltimber wrote:Probably right. Man that bites. I raised her, she is a calf out of a 9 or 10 yo commercial cow and cc&7 son, bred to a Black Granite son. I have prettier, but her Momma is a stayer and raises dandies every year. I had hopes for her.

I'd put her with some steers or younger heifers until she calves and then sell her and her calf together. That's assuming you're set up to handle such an arrangement.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:06 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Aaron wrote:Down the road she goes.

What happened to the good old nose ring routine?

Never went that route. Actually the only time I remember having a yearling heifer sucking a cow was in 1996. Split the two apart for the summer and everything was hunky-dory. But in that case, it was a cow's own calf latching back onto mom.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:40 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
talltimber wrote:Probably right. Man that bites. I raised her, she is a calf out of a 9 or 10 yo commercial cow and cc&7 son, bred to a Black Granite son. I have prettier, but her Momma is a stayer and raises dandies every year. I had hopes for her.

I'd put her with some steers or younger heifers until she calves and then sell her and her calf together. That's assuming you're set up to handle such an arrangement.

I can. I have some open heifers to breed in early summer for spring calving. I can put her in with bulls til then. Turn the bull and her in with the opens, then pull bull. She will calve in the fall. Or, when it comes time to breed my open replacements turn her out with the dry fall cows. How long does it take a cow to dry out? Or, I can turn her out with my calves after weaning. Run her with them all summer
I am wanting to see if she will still do it after calving. She might change, might not. Might lose the calf, then I'd have a sucking first calf heifer without the first calf lol
I watched them about an hour and a half today, no attempt to suck.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”