Bad girls (cows)

Cattle problems.
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Bad girls (cows)

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:44 pm

You lose track of time, but about a year, or a year and a half ago, I sold a really really mean cow. Literally a few days later, I caught a donkey i had forever trying to kill a calf. He was involved in a serious farm accident, and that problem was solved. I beat my brains out, trying to figure out why he had never done it before. I finally realized, the old bitty was keeping him in check. I had a pretty good selection, of just old mean cows. The kids are taking a much more active roll in actually working the cattle etc. We've had some close calls, and I decided everything that looked at me crossed eyed had to go. I have been slowly selling off the bad ones as I weaned their calves. I'm down now to a pretty docile herd. (not docile by many standards I see here, but docile). I have had coyotes for as long as I can remember, and never had a single problem. I had actually bought in to the "good coyote" mentality after making fun of it here. Well, low and behold all of a sudden this year, I have lost 2 already to coyotes. No doubt in my mind, those old bad girls were probably keeping them beat back.

Those cows were actually pretty good producers for me, and I kinda wish I had them back. I didn't want the kids getting hurt, or making them scared of cattle though. Those 2 calves could have easily been worth $1600-$1800 this fall. All in all, I'd have to say, that I should have rethought selling those bad girls.
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Ol' 243
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Bad girls (cows)

Postby Ol' 243 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:00 pm

I have one sorta nasty one I am keeping just for that reason. My neighbor has a couple of dogs that occasionally wander into my pastures, they aren't bad dogs, but as soon as this ol girl sees 'em she hauls a$$ at them and chases 'em off.

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:34 pm

Bigfoot, just remember that any harm to your kid is not worth any cattle. I have a three year old daughter, and she has changed our management in lots of ways. Our stock was pretty docile before, but know, as you said, anything that looks cross eyed at anyone gets the road. I won't tolerate a doe that won't just stand back and let her play with the kids, if she stomps one foot at my child, she is gone! Same goes even for the young bucks. She knows to leave the old guy be, but if the young ones don't behave, they are gone. Even my bulls have learned to back away from the fence when the see her on the other side (her dog is a massive help in training the stock to respect her space). I am willing to put in some extra effort in certain areas so that she can grow up reasonably safe on the farm.
Last edited by Boot Jack Bulls on Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boot Jack Cattle Co & Boot Jack Boers
www.bootjackcattleco.net

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:35 pm

We lose hens to yotes if we don't watch closely.. never lost a calf.. I also don't have a dog, so my cows aren't used to dogs running around and perhaps getting the idea that canines are OK.. I have some totally docile cows that get in a real tissy about anything intruding on the pasture... One of them broke through the fence, no doubt chasing something, there's no other way she'd have broken the two BOTTOM wires of the fence unless she had her head down... she's still a 1/4 Saler though and that shows.

Boot jack, Agreed :)
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:42 pm

I think I've told this story before but my neighbor on one of my valley pastures back in CA was big time into rescue dogs. She got a bad bunch that she couldn't handle. I told her shooting them was a last resort but that was the pasture I kept my heifers and registered cows in to AI and the dogs had them pretty stirred up.
I went to the sale and bought a rank old broken mouth salers-ish looking cow with a set of daggers on her head and a three day old calf that tried to kill the ring man and dumped her out with my cattle. About three days later I was looking at cattle and saw a rescued rottweiler with leash still attatched limp around my fenceline to get to the other side where he headed off in his original direction. :lol: She wasn't bad once the calf got a little older but her tolerance for BS was about zero.

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:39 pm

The lesson being there are lots of ways to solve a problem! Just try to make sure you're not making more headaches than you're fixing.
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:17 pm

Some of my best mannered cows will put their head down and go after a dog or coyote.
They get them run off they come right back to me wanting something to eat.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:57 pm

cow pollinater wrote:I think I've told this story before but my neighbor on one of my valley pastures back in CA was big time into rescue dogs. She got a bad bunch that she couldn't handle. I told her shooting them was a last resort but that was the pasture I kept my heifers and registered cows in to AI and the dogs had them pretty stirred up.
I went to the sale and bought a rank old broken mouth salers-ish looking cow with a set of daggers on her head and a three day old calf that tried to kill the ring man and dumped her out with my cattle. About three days later I was looking at cattle and saw a rescued rottweiler with leash still attatched limp around my fenceline to get to the other side where he headed off in his original direction. :lol: She wasn't bad once the calf got a little older but her tolerance for BS was about zero.

I've had a few cows that just HATED dogs but were totally docile otherwise.... I'm OK with that.. those are good temperaments in my books
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:01 pm

That is why I love a lot of Brahma in my cows. It is just me I don't have any kids so I don't worry about a bad girl. I guess it would be different if I had someone else to worry about getting hurt. In the past took some bad girls from some newbies who couldn't handle them. I will say this bunch of Beefmaster are the gentlest cattle I've ever owned follow me around like a bunch of dogs. They are not so gentle that they will let you pet them or anything but they are gentle enough they get on my nerves sometimes. Some days I miss those old high head F1 Tigers, Brangus and Charbray.
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

ez14.
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ez14. » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:10 pm

how old are the kids that are helping you?

there is nothing like a good scare to teach a kid to watch out and pay attention! :nod:

Hogtiming
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Hogtiming » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:42 pm

Coyotes or not. I can say I will not run from or after a cow cow on my place. They make cows everyday. I would be in search of another donkey

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:59 pm

ez14. wrote:how old are the kids that are helping you?

there is nothing like a good scare to teach a kid to watch out and pay attention! :nod:

12 and 9.
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:05 am

No mean cows here, ever. Those kind never stick around past 6 months of age. All external disturbances can be dealt with either bullets or poison.
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:50 am

Aaron wrote:No mean cows here, ever. Those kind never stick around past 6 months of age. All external disturbances can be dealt with either bullets or poison.

Yup!.. Cows see *everything*.. you watch them to see what's around

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:18 am

Granny used top run off anything in the pasture other then cows. She even chased turkeys, deer, crows and possums, etc.. It wasn;t long and all of the rest of the cows started getting into keeping trespassers out of the pastures. Sincew she has gone, there isn;t lead cow and now it's not unusual to see coyotes take short cuts through the pastures, deer feed right along side the herd. They still don;t like dogs. Shortly after we got her, an emu got into the pature. That thing had everyone all spunup and running their brains out. Untill then, Granny had barely tolerated me or anyone else around her. She would give you that evil eye, like just give me a reason and I'll kill you. I shot the emu and dragged it out the back gate of the pasture. Granny followed along with her nose to the ground like a hound trailing the corpse. That evening when I fed, Granny walked up to me and just stood next to me. No evil eye. I guess she decided that I actually had some value. From that day on the whole herd got more calm with people around. Still wouldn;t let strange critters in the pasture though.
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Return to “Health & Nutrition”