Bad girls (cows)

Cattle problems.
ez14.
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Bad girls (cows)

Postby ez14. » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:14 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
ez14. wrote:how old are the kids that are helping you?

there is nothing like a good scare to teach a kid to watch out and pay attention! :nod:

12 and 9.

having some mean cows around might not be a bad thing! but how mean a cow can your kids handle is the question! they will probably never forget the lessons that a few mean cows can teach! (i know i've learned somethings that i dont think i'll ever forget :nod: )

and most kids can handle more than most parents think! they just need a chance to learn

frieghttrain
Rancher
Rancher

Postby frieghttrain » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:02 pm

ez14. wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:
ez14. wrote:how old are the kids that are helping you?

there is nothing like a good scare to teach a kid to watch out and pay attention! :nod:

12 and 9.

having some mean cows around might not be a bad thing! but how mean a cow can your kids handle is the question! they will probably never forget the lessons that a few mean cows can teach! (i know i've learned somethings that i dont think i'll ever forget :nod: )

and most kids can handle more than most parents think! they just need a chance to learn

Well said ez :clap:

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:08 pm

dun wrote:. That evening when I fed, Granny walked up to me and just stood next to me. No evil eye. I guess she decided that I actually had some value.

:D
You do have a way with words dun.
Usually, it's US that are deciding if a Cow has value--not the other way around.
(I've sometimes wondered just what's going on in a cow's head)

wacocowboy, my beefmasters have gotten way TOO friendly. I can't walk or drive thru a gate anymore without them wanting to come too. I have one that gets a little antsy when she has a calf by her, but even she has become way too much of a 'pet' and I'm not real comfortable with it--she's got a set of stickers on her head and..it's them kind that worries me more than any other--they'll hurt ya just trying to get close to you.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
"The hottest places in Hades are for those who in time of great moral crises remain neutral" Dante

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:21 pm

I think some of us are talking about 2 different things. I'm not talking about a high headed cow, that gets antsy when she's in a corner. I'm talking about head hunters. Your blocking the sorting hole on a horse, and she tries to jump the horse. That sort of thing.
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:02 pm

greybeard wrote:
dun wrote:. That evening when I fed, Granny walked up to me and just stood next to me. No evil eye. I guess she decided that I actually had some value.

:D
You do have a way with words dun.
Usually, it's US that are deciding if a Cow has value--not the other way around.
(I've sometimes wondered just what's going on in a cow's head)

wacocowboy, my beefmasters have gotten way TOO friendly. I can't walk or drive thru a gate anymore without them wanting to come too. I have one that gets a little antsy when she has a calf by her, but even she has become way too much of a 'pet' and I'm not real comfortable with it--she's got a set of stickers on her head and..it's them kind that worries me more than any other--they'll hurt ya just trying to get close to you.

Mine are the exact same way you go to a gate and they think they need to come along. I don't have any with horns just nubs. My bulls that I am selling are just big old babies they follow me around and talk when I am in there pasture. I have noticed the Beefmaster heifers are a bit high headed till they have a calf then settle.
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:07 pm

Bigfoot wrote:I think some of us are talking about 2 different things. I'm not talking about a high headed cow, that gets antsy when she's in a corner. I'm talking about head hunters. Your blocking the sorting hole on a horse, and she tries to jump the horse. That sort of thing.

I seen an old F1 Brangus momma do that to a guy on a 4wheeler. Lucky he ducked down in time. After I knew he was ok that was funny and amazing way she jumped. Talk about a situation where you have to go change your pants after lol.
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:27 pm

I always think of one of the posts from Bez when I hear about an unruly bovine.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=86969&p=1062039&hilit=ding+dong#p1062039

and this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZK7lNZxTKA
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
"The hottest places in Hades are for those who in time of great moral crises remain neutral" Dante

js1234
Rancher
Rancher

Postby js1234 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:11 pm

We have a few bad cows around the country. Not near what we used to. I think back to the awful old spike horned range cows that I'd bring to the corrals as a kid when I rode out with the cowboy crew during summer vacation etc. and shake my head. My kids are surprised when one bad one comes in with a set we are branding or something. Nevada is the exception. Those old cows have to work ALOT of country and fend for themselves, the cows that do the best in that setting don't always have the most charming personality.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:54 am

There's a big difference between a farm and ranch. Why anyone on a farm would have a high strung crazy animal makes absolutely no sense to me. I'll leave the wild cattle for the cowboy's and the wanna be cowboy's to deal with. From my experience it's easier to lead a hundred head of cows with a bucket than push them with horses and dogs.
Your head should be used for more than a hat rack.

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:03 am

Nesikep wrote:I've had a few cows that just HATED dogs but were totally docile otherwise.... I'm OK with that.. those are good temperaments in my books

I have a cow that'll try to kill any chicken entering get domain ... but otherwise (dogs, cats, etc) doesn't much care and is sweet as pie with people.

Just like people, they all have different things they don't like.
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

Return to “Health & Nutrition”