Lump on belly , udder edema?

Cattle problems.
Paramount183
Beginner
Beginner

Lump on belly , udder edema?

Postby Paramount183 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:48 pm

What is happening here? She is a heifer that is due to calf soon, she wasn't like this 2 hours ago. Any help?

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Lump on belly , udder edema?

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:34 am

Maybe one of the big guns will tell you exactly what it is, but I've seen my fair share of it, and it always seems to go down on its on.
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:14 am

that's a hernia...itll go away..they get a lot bigger than that...benign neglect..it can be fixed bit not worth the cost..itll go away..wait and see for the next calf
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

farmerjan
Rancher
Rancher

Postby farmerjan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:54 pm

I would hazard a guess at udder edema which is common especially in heifers that are getting close to calving. If she has any dairy in her then it most likely is that. It's common in dairy heifers prior to calving. Usually it will go down in a week or so post calving. Most don't worry about it too much, sometimes if it doesn't go down after calving they will give some dex, but I wouldn't get too worried about it at this point.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:50 pm

Since she's a heifer I agree with udder edema. One of my girls had one and it went away. But I do have a couple older girls (10 & 11) with a similar lump and our vet said it's nothing more than fat (one clocks in over 2000 lbs).

MRRherefords
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MRRherefords » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:54 pm

Our cow just experienced some udder edema. We gave her two shots of a drug of which I can not think of the name right now. :roll: :oops: But it went away in several days.

jerry27150
GURU
GURU

Postby jerry27150 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:27 pm

how much grain have you been feeding her, that makes it worse. I would cut grain waydown

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:33 am

im no vet but I don't think that's udder edema...could be..udders look fine tho . but to me it looks like a umbilical hernia likely due to the pressure of calving..either way tho the outcome is the same..itll pass on its own
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

MRRherefords
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MRRherefords » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:12 am

dieselbeef wrote:im no vet but I don't think that's udder edema...could be..udders look fine tho . but to me it looks like a umbilical hernia likely due to the pressure of calving..either way tho the outcome is the same..itll pass on its own

Now that you say that, that does make a lot more sense. Our cow with udder edema had an udder as hard as a rock. I am not sure as to what for shape the udder of this cow is in, but with that lump a hernia does seem more likely.

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:15 am

our cow that had that it went away WHILE STILL PREGNANT. if it had been hernia it would have stayed there I would think till she calved. I think the term "udder" edema is misleading to think it's actually in the udder itself.

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:55 am

itll pass..either way
einstein

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:16 am

I'll go with udder edema as well...especially being a heifer. Also agree with Jerry...too much protein, calcium and potassium intake.
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

Return to “Health & Nutrition”