will she ever stop?

Cattle problems.
farmboy80
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: will she ever stop?

Postby farmboy80 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:42 am

Tried a crown weaner for a while when she was young. She figured out to turn her head sideways. So I still had to separate her.
0 x

farmboy80
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby farmboy80 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:03 pm

Hauled a good looking heifer to salebarn for tomorrows sale. Kinda sad, I was looking forward to keeping her. I'm a small operation. She was only one of two heifers I had. Hopefully she brings enough to find another one just as good. (Minus the nursing on everything )
But I guess it's like you all said: there's lots of good cattle to be had instead of wasting my time with one that has bad habits. Life goes on! Thanks again for the advice everyone!
0 x

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:56 am

I caught one looking like she was trying to suck a while back, maybe I was wrong, but she had her head down there where the sucking goes on. I just weaned calves Thurs eve and I've been hawking the old cows and this heifer, other heifers with them as well. But I perform an inspection on current teat/bag condition twice daily. No sucking. I would assume that if she was sucking, or they would willingly let her suck, it would be showing. This of course doesn't prove that she's not doing it from the back while a calf would be on the side at the same time.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

Return to “Health & Nutrition”