Yearling with pure water scours

Cattle problems.
wbenchfarms
Beginner
Beginner

Yearling with pure water scours

Postby wbenchfarms » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:01 am

Have a yearling that came in about a week ago. Eating and drinking fine, didn't notice any issues. Last Wednesday, noticed he had scours, but pure water. Watched him for a day, and noticed he was not as alert as he should be, so went ahead and doctored him. 20mL oxytet, 5mL Dex. Temp 101.5. No nasal discharge, noticed he did have a cough every now and then.
Next day he was at the feed bunk, and eating hay, still scouring. Yesterday he went off feed, and is looking drawn up. Doctored him again with 20mL oxytet, 5mL dex, 10mL B complex. He is looking pretty hollow today. Just looking for suggestions.
0 x
www.wbenchfarms.com

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Re: Yearling with pure water scours

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:32 am

5 cc draxxin and sulfur bolus, or perhaps visit vet.
0 x
Success is not a station on the railroad where you get off and your life's work is complete. Success is the train itself ~ Allan Nation

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:19 pm

The Sustain III calf bolus contains sulfa (sulfamethazine). You can use them on a yearling. Use the dose for a 300 pound calf (6). They are broad spectrum.

However, you should seek veterinary service. It sounds like you might be getting toward the 9th inning.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:39 pm

For a yearling or larger animal, there are Boluses to treat more mass. Here is a sulfa bolus for larger animals. Tractor Supply stocks Sustain III. This was on the Valley Vet website.

0 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:06 pm

Vet.

I don't understand working an animal and dumping drugs (especially expensive drugs) randomly hoping something sticks.

Also - no fever or sign of infection - no antibiotics - especially the most expensive antibiotic in the field - Draxxin.

Might have Johnes and while you are popping pills he's infesting the rest of your cattle.

Just my :2cents: :hide:
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:10 pm

angus9259 wrote:Vet.

I don't understand working an animal and dumping drugs (especially expensive drugs) randomly hoping something sticks.

Also - no fever or sign of infection - no antibiotics - especially the most expensive antibiotic in the field - Draxxin.

Might have Johnes and while you are popping pills he's infesting the rest of your cattle.

I agree 100 %. Just didn't say that.
0 x

artesianspringsfarm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby artesianspringsfarm » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:47 pm

angus9259 wrote:Vet.

I absolutely agree with this. No fever and total water diarrhea, I instantly think JOhnes. Not common for a yearling, but if he went through a big ration change or something else stressful, could be it. Also, if no fever, I dont get antibiotics out just to try to throw spaghetti against the wall and see what sticks.
0 x

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:43 pm

First off, call a GOOD cow vet.
Second, does your feed have any Bovatec or Monosin in it?
If not, coccidiosis might be looking into. Corid, or Glycol, plus a Sulfa bolus to prevent secondary infection, would be my route of treatment.

And no coccidiosis doesn't always cause a fever.
0 x
Red Bull Breeder wrote:So Queenie works ok now?

Return to “Health & Nutrition”