Injectable Wormers?

Cattle problems.
cjmc
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Injectable Wormers?

Postby cjmc » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:08 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
cjmc wrote:I wish I could find THE picture that shows why, its an photo taken from a plane of 4 equal sized trap pastures with sheep (or cattle I can't remember) anyway in two of the traps the animals hadn't been traded for worms and the other two they had. At the end of the grazing season you could easily tell the treated animals ate more grass.

How does treatment increase consumption?

To be honest, I'm not sure. That would be a vet question. I just know they do reduce intake. Here is a link that verifies that (but unfortunately doesn't explain what is physiologically happening.) It also has that picture I mentioned.

http://www.safe-guardcattle.com/beef-worms.aspx
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:19 am

I wonder if they have done any studies on long range and conception in heifers? We are palpating our heifers tomorrow and I suspect more opens than normal. We used long range on our heifers last year for the first time, had not considered it until I read this thread. Like CC the only management change was the long range. I will have a better idea after tomorrow but I know some are open we saw them standing after we pulled the bull.

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:57 pm

We used it this spring for the first time (Long Range). I can say that the immediate results are obvious; the cows have less hair and no flies as of yet. We are also feeding Vitaferm Heat, which helps with flies. The shedding is what amazes me. We are in a hair shedding study with the university extension, and in May have to give scores to all the cows on how much hair they have (for several years). My numbers will be way lower this year (meaning less hair), which is good.
We only used the Long Range in the cows, calves, and two yearling bulls. We DID NOT use it in the show heifer string (mostly fall weanlings and spring yearlings- because we WANT hair on our heifers, lol). In the spring yearlings on pasture, conception does not seem to be an issue (just bred right after injection). I will watch the fall heifers closely when breeding next fall, now I am a bit concerned. I did read on the box AFTER we were done to NOT use it in bulls, so I was a bit worried. However, the April bull we sold to Texas was just tested this morning and passed his BSE with flying colors (he had to be deferred the first test because he had a hair ring on his penis, and after removing it there was blood in the sample so it did not pass).
My vet does not recommend using Long Range in cows, ONLY because people tend to underestimate the weight of their cows, and thus do not give enough which will lead to resistance. We weigh every animal every time they enter the chute, so we know we gave the most accurate dosage. I can say the stuff is THICK!
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:54 pm

I use both but the pour on is a must, lice outbreak this spring in one pasture. The injectable I use is only good for 30 days so I use it if I think I need immediate results or will use it at the same time as the pour on. Also here in FEVER TICK country both injectable and pour on help prevent those.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Mon May 01, 2017 9:40 am

I used long range last spring on 60 heifers. There was 5 opens after 60 days with a clean up bull. These were sale barn heifers from unknown sources. I was satisfied with the conception rate and they grew real well over the summer.
0 x

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Tue May 02, 2017 6:09 am

gizmom, a quick search brought up this dissertation; this trial showed lower conception rate in heifers dewormed with LongRange, compared to heifers dewormed with oxfendazole + moxidectin.

http://search.proquest.com/openview/f50 ... 750&diss=y
0 x

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Tue May 02, 2017 8:34 am

I noticed my vet use Noremectrin injectable and I was using it too but was reading where our marketing alliance doesn't consider generics valid so I went back to Ivomec injectable. I cant' tell the difference though.
0 x
Grab the bull by the horns.....then what are you supposed to do?

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue May 02, 2017 3:47 pm

cjmc wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:
cjmc wrote:I wish I could find THE picture that shows why, its an photo taken from a plane of 4 equal sized trap pastures with sheep (or cattle I can't remember) anyway in two of the traps the animals hadn't been traded for worms and the other two they had. At the end of the grazing season you could easily tell the treated animals ate more grass.

To be honest, I'm not sure. That would be a vet question. I just know they do reduce intake. Here is a link that verifies that (but unfortunately doesn't explain what is physiologically happening.) It also has that picture I mentioned.

Worming doesn't necessarily increase feed consumption so much as the parasite load in the cow has been depressing appetite over a long period of time. Removing them allows the cow to simply regain her normal appetite.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

ricebeltrancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ricebeltrancher » Thu May 04, 2017 3:55 pm

TexasBred wrote:
cjmc wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:

Worming doesn't necessarily increase feed consumption so much as the parasite load in the cow has been depressing appetite over a long period of time. Removing them allows the cow to simply regain her normal appetite.

Yep!
0 x
“Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
― Ronald Reagan

ricebeltrancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ricebeltrancher » Thu May 04, 2017 3:57 pm

gizmom wrote:I wonder if they have done any studies on long range and conception in heifers? We are palpating our heifers tomorrow and I suspect more opens than normal. We used long range on our heifers last year for the first time, had not considered it until I read this thread. Like CC the only management change was the long range. I will have a better idea after tomorrow but I know some are open we saw them standing after we pulled the bull.

Gizmom

If yall have flukes and replaced Ivomec Plus or Valbazen with Longrange, that might be an issue since Longrange doesn't have a flukicide. We HAVE TO treat flukes twice a year, which makes it difficult to figure out where we would use something like Longrange. Have a bottle that's been sitting on the shelf for well over a year.
0 x
“Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
― Ronald Reagan

Return to “Health & Nutrition”