Injectable Wormers?

Cattle problems.
lcranch
Beginner
Beginner

Injectable Wormers?

Postby lcranch » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:34 pm

Has anyone used the injectable wormers and what is the results they have had? I know that the long range is pretty pricey, wondering if anyone has used the noromectin and etc. and the results they have had?

Chocolate Cow
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Injectable Wormers?

Postby Chocolate Cow » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:01 pm

I've used Long Range for several years. Probably won't this year. I also won't use it on my yearling replacement females. I didn't have a good breed up the 1st time I used it on the yearlings. Don't know exactly why but that age group has done much better without it. It had no negative reproductive effect on the mature cows. Can't comment on any other injectables. Sometimes I wonder if wormer's are necessary at all?

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:36 pm

Wormers are most effective in younger animals.
Older cattle build a natural tolerance to worms over time and not really needed except if heavily infested.

SIMMGAL
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SIMMGAL » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:13 am

Chocolate Cow wrote:I've used Long Range for several years. Probably won't this year. I also won't use it on my yearling replacement females. I didn't have a good breed up the 1st time I used it on the yearlings. Don't know exactly why but that age group has done much better without it. It had no negative reproductive effect on the mature cows. Can't comment on any other injectables. Sometimes I wonder if wormer's are necessary at all?

Interesting observation! I was wondering about using Long Range in my purebred herd this year. Are you planning on using another type of injectable for your yearlings or are you going to just use a pour on?
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cattle and that's pretty much the same thing as far as I'm concerned! ;-)

Chocolate Cow
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Chocolate Cow » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:23 am

I'm using Dectomax pour on. 3 years ago, I used Long Range on the yearling heifers and my breed up wasn't very good. After that, I've used a pour on. Same genetics, same pasture, same bulls. 2016-I had 33 heifers, 100% bred in 30 days.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:31 pm

lcranch wrote:Has anyone used the injectable wormers and what is the results they have had? I know that the long range is pretty pricey, wondering if anyone has used the noromectin and etc. and the results they have had?

Yes. Injectable is more cost effective on calf weights, but I do not think it works on lice. I tend to use it on purchased cattle and problem cattle.

They are selling Safeguard hard here and offered "free" fecal testing last fall. I use Safeguard pellets for yearlings on grass. Pour on plus Safeguard is supposed to be 99% effective on worms, but I have not tried this combo.
Stocker Steve

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:40 pm

I used Cydetin injectable and a cheap pour - on Ivermectin this round. Next round I'll use a Safe Guard drench type wormer, and Ultra Boss pour - on.
I poured every animal and only gave a shot of Cydetin to the thin cows and those with off color hair.
Your head should be used for more than a hat rack.

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:55 pm

We rotate between decomax injectable and ivectmin plus. SOB maybe your environment allows you to go without worming your mature cows, but in Florida I don't think it would work. I wonder if it because of your cold winters? We worm twice a year fall and spring.

Gizmom
Respect give it to get it!

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:19 pm

Best return on investment is injectable in the younger animals. All the mature cows get poured in January.
I may be wrong, but I think only benefit I'm getting from pouring the mature cows is lice control. Maybe it's knocking down some worms too, but I don't know for sure.

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Postby JW IN VA » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:29 pm

We used pour-ons for a few years bu have switched back to injectable or drench types.I am more sure about the cow getting the full dose his way.There has been some talk about the lack of effectivness in the Ivermectin-type drugs Some speculate it may be caused by pour-ons not getting where they need to go,generics' lack of staying power or both.
I'd like to hear from someone who has results to back this up if anyone does.
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

cjmc
Beginner
Beginner

Postby cjmc » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:09 am

I have tested dewomers when I was a consultant for ranches in nebraaksa. I would ask the guys what he used & when he used it, then i would go get fresh fecal samples & ship them off to a lab to be inspected for worms. Generic pour-ons are not as good as the name brand ones. I am pretty certain of that. No generic pour-on was as effective as the name brand ones when compared on equal days since application. I asked a university professor who was a leading researcher in dewormers. He said they don't absorb into the skin as well. Long range is effective but overpriced IMO. I also think that since it is in the cow's system for 150 days it will have resistance issues in the near future. I prefer Safe-guard, it seemed to work the best. As for the comment are wormers necessary? They are if you want to make money. They are the #1 return on investment (if I recall it was double what implants returned and more than AI by a long shot). Depending on where you live (up north vs the deep south) a good deworming program vs noting at all will add 10-50 lbs of weaning weight according to a boat-load of research. I wish I could find THE picture that shows why, its an photo taken from a plane of 4 equal sized trap pastures with sheep (or cattle I can't remember) anyway in two of the traps the animals hadn't been traded for worms and the other two they had. At the end of the grazing season you could easily tell the treated animals ate more grass.

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:38 am

Only time I've had problems with worms was back when I used pour on. Now every animal gets a shot. I use a rotation of dectomax, cydectin, and ivamec.
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:28 am

cjmc wrote:I wish I could find THE picture that shows why, its an photo taken from a plane of 4 equal sized trap pastures with sheep (or cattle I can't remember) anyway in two of the traps the animals hadn't been traded for worms and the other two they had. At the end of the grazing season you could easily tell the treated animals ate more grass.

How does treatment increase consumption?
Stocker Steve

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:14 am

Studies have shown pretty conclusive proof that the 'generic' ivermectin products do not perform as well as the 'pioneer' product, Ivomec. I used to buy the generics... but if they don't do the job, the few cents saved is actually dollars lost.

I've seen studies showing that deworming with a benzimidazole(white, drench wormer) like Panacur/Safeguard or Synanthic and Cydectin, both at the same time was less expensive than LongRange, and weight gains, fecal egg counts, etc., at the end of the trial were comparable for both treatment groups.

Waco... rotating Ivomec/Dectomax/Cydectin is like rotating Chevy/GMC/Chevy... they're all in the same class of dewormers. If the worms on your farm develop resistance to one...they're resistant to all. However, this is a better approach than what we've recommended in the past. Far better to stick with ONE class of dewormers until they no longer work, then switch to another, instead of 'rotating' from class to class... and ending up rapidly with resistance to ALL classes.

bse
GURU
GURU

Postby bse » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:25 am

Agree with what Lucky P says. I was using Dectomax worming twice a year, asked the rep for Cydectin if I needed to swap each time, even he said absolutely not, unless you just want a different product.
I use Long-range now just worm once a year in the spring, did fecal counts in the fall with no eggs, so it's saved me worming twice, and has some horn fly protection.

Return to “Health & Nutrition”