IGR

Cattle problems.
slick4591
GURU
GURU

IGR

Postby slick4591 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:43 am

I put out Wind and Rain w/IGR mineral Feb. 3rd and the cows have been consuming it. When I checked cows yesterday they were covered in flies. Checked patties and they were virtually untouched by the flies. How long til this stuff works?
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: IGR

Postby dun » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:51 am

They need to start getting it about 4-6 weeks before fly season to be most effective.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Txpiney
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Txpiney » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:11 am

The IGR keeps the eggs from hatching, but does nothing about the flies already hatched. Run them through the chute and do a pour on.
0 x

JSCATTLE
GURU
GURU

Postby JSCATTLE » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:27 am

You won't keep all the flies off with igr but it will reduce them significantly. If you start early enough.
0 x
God bless America .. 1/20/17 ..

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:32 am

slick4591 wrote:I put out Wind and Rain w/IGR mineral Feb. 3rd and the cows have been consuming it. When I checked cows yesterday they were covered in flies. Checked patties and they were virtually untouched by the flies. How long til this stuff works?

slick it's there and probably working but you'll never get them all. With our rather mild winters I just go ahead and feed it year round.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:35 am

It also does nothing if you get the flies from the neighbors
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

jkwilson
GURU
GURU

Postby jkwilson » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:33 pm

Nesikep wrote:It also does nothing if you get the flies from the neighbors

Yep

I have a neighbor about a half mile away who basically spends as little money as possible on his cows. The diesel to dig a hole when they die is an unnecessary expense to him.

Fly control is kind of futile for me. I can keep them from hatching, but struggle to keep them off my cows.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:17 pm

Nesikep wrote:It also does nothing if you get the flies from the neighbors

It's not suppose to. It's designed to stop the development of fresh hatched larvae in the manure.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:13 pm

If it's working and retarding the development, then I'd hate to see the fly population they would have had. Felt sorry for them and mixed up a Permethrin and diesel this morning to give them some relief. Thanks for the responses.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:27 pm

slick4591 wrote:If it's working and retarding the development, then I'd hate to see the fly population they would have had. Felt sorry for them and mixed up a Permethrin and diesel this morning to give them some relief. Thanks for the responses.

I usually spray in early spring as well to get rid of what's already swarming even though I fed the stuff year round.
0 x

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:28 pm

TexasBred wrote:
slick4591 wrote:If it's working and retarding the development, then I'd hate to see the fly population they would have had. Felt sorry for them and mixed up a Permethrin and diesel this morning to give them some relief. Thanks for the responses.

I usually spray in early spring as well to get rid of what's already swarming even though I fed the stuff year round.

TB do you also use Permethrin and diesel or do you have another mix you like? Thanks
0 x
Backward B Ranch
Registered Brangus Cattle

AdamsCreek
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby AdamsCreek » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:18 pm

I poured mine with ultra saber in March and been mixing 4 oz. per head of igr mineral in feed every day and I'm still eat up with flys. I guess it's just gonna be a bad year.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:50 am

midTN_Brangusman wrote:
TexasBred wrote:

TB do you also use Permethrin and diesel or do you have another mix you like? Thanks

I use and old product, Prolate Lintox and just mix with water and spray. Really soak them from top to bottom. Kills everything that you get it on but doesn't have a very long residual effect. It's just a constant battle. I can't hardly stand it when the cattle start bunching up and moving like a crowded herd of buffalo swishing their tails and stomping their feed trying to get rid of the flies. A never ending battle.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:58 am

You just need to break the flies life cycle, which will be sometime in the fall.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

cjmc
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby cjmc » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:25 am

IGR is not effective in controlling flies on its own in most places. The UNL and OSU data I have seen has both showed that. The only places it has a chance to bring the fly load under the economic impact level (typically 200 flies/HD depending on who you talk to) is when your cattle are the only cattle around for miles. IGR can be used in combination with other fly controls (sprays, mists, rubs, pour-ons, tags ect) to create a good overall program though. The company that makes IGR tests it every year & it has always been very effective at preventing new horn flies from developing. The challenge in the real world is getting the targeted amount of IGR in them every day.

I would check your level of IGR- IGR is approved for a certain range (I forgot what it is lets just pretend its 5-10 grams/100 lbs/Hd/d). Are you feeding the lowest approved amount (then any cow that under-consumes does get a big enough dose)? Are you feeding for a 1200 lb cow when your cows actually weight 1400? Are you not factoring in that the calves will eat some too and therefore an under-dosing the heard?

Some cows just aren't going to eat the mineral, and some cows aren't going to eat enough and therefore you will always have some "home grown" horn flies. But if fed at a level where almost all the cows get an effective dose you will reduce the amount of "home grown" horn flies. Which may or may not do you any good, depending on your neighbors!
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”