IGR

Cattle problems.
mhouse7
Beginner
Beginner

Re: IGR

Postby mhouse7 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:44 am

IGR is meant to help your fly control program, not to be your fly control program. You still should use spray/pour-on/rub, just hopefully with an IGR, you'll use less. Permethrin pour on should last 1-2 weeks, with no IGR you'll probably be once a week, with IGR, hopefully you'll be at 2 weeks or maybe a little more. You still have to spray to kill your neighbors flies.
0 x
Producers Cooperative Association. Bryan, TX

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:50 pm

I do pour on and IGR and still but it is a pain to pen them everytime the pour on wear off was wondering has anyone tried that Vetgun? I am scared I will spook them and they go run over every fence
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

papavillars
Rancher
Rancher

Postby papavillars » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:26 pm

a neighbor said he uses old hydraulic fluid with permethrin. he says he has a better/ longer results.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:40 pm

My method is feeding cubes in the pasture then getting up wind before spraying them. They're a little spooky at first but get over it fairly quickly.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Txpiney
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Txpiney » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:38 pm

slick4591 wrote:My method is feeding cubes in the pasture then getting up wind before spraying them. They're a little spooky at first but get over it fairly quickly.

I started doing the same thing last year. Bought a 1 1/2 gallon pump up sprayer and some Ivermectin pour on. Put out cubes in a large circle and go around spraying them.
0 x

kilroy60
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kilroy60 » Fri May 12, 2017 4:42 am

wacocowboy wrote:I do pour on and IGR and still but it is a pain to pen them everytime the pour on wear off was wondering has anyone tried that Vetgun? I am scared I will spook them and they go run over every fence

We have a Vetgun and it does a good job for 2 - 4 weeks. Not a long term solution unless they have made advances with the vetcaps. You'll need to fire the vetgun around your cattle a few times to get them use to the sound of the gun. Then you can start with the cattle. We haven't had ours to run off when they are hit with the capsule. They will slightly jump but that's all. If you get one, just make sure you are in a good range to shoot the cattle so the capsule will burst. I have had a couple to bounce off and not burst due to being too far away.
0 x

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Fri May 12, 2017 5:07 am

kilroy60 wrote:
wacocowboy wrote:I do pour on and IGR and still but it is a pain to pen them everytime the pour on wear off was wondering has anyone tried that Vetgun? I am scared I will spook them and they go run over every fence

We have a Vetgun and it does a good job for 2 - 4 weeks. Not a long term solution unless they have made advances with the vetcaps. You'll need to fire the vetgun around your cattle a few times to get them use to the sound of the gun. Then you can start with the cattle. We haven't had ours to run off when they are hit with the capsule. They will slightly jump but that's all. If you get one, just make sure you are in a good range to shoot the cattle so the capsule will burst. I have had a couple to bounce off and not burst due to being too far away.

It is an interesting contraption. 2-4 weeks is about what I get out of spraying and pour on.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Fri May 12, 2017 4:12 pm

Any one use Rabon blocks for fly control? We have a strong mineral program already, so switching to Wind & Rain, for example, is not on the table. We do pour with Ultra Boss about once a month during fly season, so just wondering if the blocks would help at all. We don't generally have a huge fly problem, and haven't had pink eye in over a decade, but even with the cows out on pasture, we are worried about flies causing condition loss. It's been a very wet year so far up here...
0 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Fri May 12, 2017 5:32 pm

We have a vet gun. The boss put me on restriction from using it after watching me miss 5 out of 6 shots. He said he couldn't afford my help!

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri May 12, 2017 8:14 pm

Boot Jack Bulls wrote:Any one use Rabon blocks for fly control? We have a strong mineral program already, so switching to Wind & Rain, for example, is not on the table. We do pour with Ultra Boss about once a month during fly season, so just wondering if the blocks would help at all. We don't generally have a huge fly problem, and haven't had pink eye in over a decade, but even with the cows out on pasture, we are worried about flies causing condition loss. It's been a very wet year so far up here...

Nothing wrong with Rabon. Been on the market for ages and works ok. Just easier and less expensive for most folks to adjust their mineral program a bit and use one with the IGR in it
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Fri May 12, 2017 9:45 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Boot Jack Bulls wrote:Any one use Rabon blocks for fly control? We have a strong mineral program already, so switching to Wind & Rain, for example, is not on the table. We do pour with Ultra Boss about once a month during fly season, so just wondering if the blocks would help at all. We don't generally have a huge fly problem, and haven't had pink eye in over a decade, but even with the cows out on pasture, we are worried about flies causing condition loss. It's been a very wet year so far up here...

Nothing wrong with Rabon. Been on the market for ages and works ok. Just easier and less expensive for most folks to adjust their mineral program a bit and use one with the IGR in it

Thanks TB. We don't want to change mineral program at this time, so just looking for another way. We have used Rabon on the horses years ago, so just wondering...This is for our core group of registered Limi cows, so I'm not terribly concerned with a slightly higher expense (within reason of course).
0 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Fri May 12, 2017 10:21 pm

We used IGR last year. We are trying the new VitaFerm Heat mineral this year (for fly control and help with Fescue). LOVE IT! Cows love it too. We also used the Long Range wormer for the first time several weeks ago. I can count on two hands how many flies are on each cow right now. I am amazed, and happy, with the results so far. We have yet to need to use a pour on or fly spray of any kind.
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dogs and Cows » Sat May 13, 2017 7:10 am

Firei Sweep...I am very interested in hearing about the VitaFerm Heat mineral. It sounds like you are very happy with it??
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat May 13, 2017 9:03 am

Boot Jack Bulls wrote:
TexasBred wrote:

Thanks TB. We don't want to change mineral program at this time, so just looking for another way. We have used Rabon on the horses years ago, so just wondering...This is for our core group of registered Limi cows, so I'm not terribly concerned with a slightly higher expense (within reason of course).

BJ hopefully when you need it your current mineral supplier could take the same mineral you're now using and add the IGR or hte Rabon. Might add $3-4 dollars a bag to the cost but both work........unfortunately nothing gets all of the pesky rascals.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Sat May 13, 2017 8:56 pm

Dogs and Cows wrote:Firei Sweep...I am very interested in hearing about the VitaFerm Heat mineral. It sounds like you are very happy with it??

YES YES YES!!!! The cows on the Heat have almost NO flies.... our bulls we are raising to sell are not on Heat, and we brought them in today to weigh and they have more flies on them, enough that we sprayed them with some fly spray to help out. Both groups got the Long Range wormer this year, so the only difference is the Heat mineral. I am a firm believer of it now.

http://vitaferm.com/product-categories/ ... -products/
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

Return to “Health & Nutrition”