liquid protein worth the expense?

Cattle problems.
RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Re: liquid protein worth the expense?

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:35 pm

I'm still not seeing your logic here. You may have to draw it out for me.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:58 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:I'm still not seeing your logic here. You may have to draw it out for me.

A ton of 20percent alfalfa would be 400 pounds of protein. At 150.00 bucks it would be the 37.5 cents per pound of protein.

It's 90 out today. But I'm putty sure that's what the conversation you quoted was about.
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:37 pm

callmefence wrote:
RanchMan90 wrote:I'm still not seeing your logic here. You may have to draw it out for me.

A ton of 20percent alfalfa would be 400 pounds of protein. At 150.00 bucks it would be the 37.5 cents per pound of protein.

It's 90 out today. But I'm putty sure that's what the conversation you quoted was about.

I'm picking up what your layin down now. That would put the liquid feed at 57.5¢ per lb. How much many lbs daily per head of it do you feed under your conditions?
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:54 pm

I use QLF and my last fill was 1300 lbs @ $260.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:26 pm

2,000 lbs liquid at $400 ton = 20 cents lb
2,000 lbs x 35% protein = 700 lbs of protein per ton
$400 div by 700 lbs = 57 cents per pound of protein

There is a lot to be said for anything that is convenient and saves labor.

Alfalfa/high quality grass hay isn't a lot cheaper when you factor in moisture and waste, then labor not much savings.
The thing it has going for it is it's all natural and good hay cures/prevents a lot of problems.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:51 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:
greybeard wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:57 cents per lb of protein
vs
40 cents? per lb of protein from alfalfa hay.... closer to 55 cents accounting for moisture and waste
but we're talking different types of protein and hay provides other nutrients as well

I haven't checked lately, but I'd have to go a ways to find alfalfa hay down here Son of Butch. Either up around Weatherford or into Oklahoma, unless I wanted sq bales and no way am I ever going back to feed sq baled hay.
That's @ minimum a 6-7 hr round trip away.

Alfalfa can be had here for $150 a ton, so 7.5¢ per lb. Liquid feed and low quality hay are convenient, people will pay for convenience. Such as gas station food or a home cooked steak for the same price :lol2:

But you will have no idea what the protein level of it is as well as TDN, not to mention limit feeding it at 3-4 lbs. per day like you get with the liquid supplement. Most liquid supplements are also fortified with some level of vitamins and minerals. Personally I just put out a good blended fertilizer and have grass out the wazoo with a high level of protein as well. Volunteer rye is loosing value pretty quickly though but still lot of it there and they are wearing it out.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:17 pm

TexasBred wrote:
RanchMan90 wrote:
greybeard wrote:I haven't checked lately, but I'd have to go a ways to find alfalfa hay down here Son of Butch. Either up around Weatherford or into Oklahoma, unless I wanted sq bales and no way am I ever going back to feed sq baled hay.
That's @ minimum a 6-7 hr round trip away.

Alfalfa can be had here for $150 a ton, so 7.5¢ per lb. Liquid feed and low quality hay are convenient, people will pay for convenience. Such as gas station food or a home cooked steak for the same price :lol2:

But you will have no idea what the protein level of it is as well as TDN, not to mention limit feeding it at 3-4 lbs. per day like you get with the liquid supplement. Most liquid supplements are also fortified with some level of vitamins and minerals. Personally I just put out a good blended fertilizer and have grass out the wazoo with a high level of protein as well. Volunteer rye is loosing value pretty quickly though but still lot of it there and they are wearing it out.

A simple hay test should determine protein level. How about an apples to apples comparison of real world numbers. 100 winter feeding days feeding 4 lbs of liquid feed or 10 lbs of alfalfa in conjunction with 20 lbs of roughage (hay or stockpiled grass). Liquid feed costs will be $200, alfalfa will cost $75 over the course of 100 days. The difference will be $125 per head, which is all a cow/calf producer will make this year anyway.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:59 am

RanchMan90 wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
RanchMan90 wrote:Alfalfa can be had here for $150 a ton, so 7.5¢ per lb. Liquid feed and low quality hay are convenient, people will pay for convenience. Such as gas station food or a home cooked steak for the same price :lol2:

A simple hay test should determine protein level. How about an apples to apples comparison of real world numbers. 100 winter feeding days feeding 4 lbs of liquid feed or 10 lbs of alfalfa in conjunction with 20 lbs of roughage (hay or stockpiled grass). Liquid feed costs will be $200, alfalfa will cost $75 over the course of 100 days. The difference will be $125 per head, which is all a cow/calf producer will make this year anyway.

Nobody has said your alfalfa isn't better or cheaper protien.
With that said consumption on a good quality cooked tube will be about 1/2 to one pound per day. About half the protien in a 32 percent tube will be urea. Which has little to know nutritional value. You simply don't understand the concept of why feeding urea has its place. The cattle will eat and digest way more dry standing grass than normal. If you don't take it up when the grass is gone they might eat the dam fence. And yeah you can kick out a big tub for every 20 or so close the gate and go fishing for the week.

Good tubs right here , rock hard even in hot weather

http://www.pf4feed.com/productdetail.html?pid=pvm
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:10 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
RanchMan90 wrote:Alfalfa can be had here for $150 a ton, so 7.5¢ per lb. Liquid feed and low quality hay are convenient, people will pay for convenience. Such as gas station food or a home cooked steak for the same price :lol2:

Apples to apples of real world numbers is that I'm not supplementing with anything and my cattle are gaining weight. How's that?? You're the one having to purchase supplemental feed.
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:15 pm

TexasBred wrote:
RanchMan90 wrote:
TexasBred wrote:But you will have no idea what the protein level of it is as well as TDN, not to mention limit feeding it at 3-4 lbs. per day like you get with the liquid supplement. Most liquid supplements are also fortified with some level of vitamins and minerals. Personally I just put out a good blended fertilizer and have grass out the wazoo with a high level of protein as well. Volunteer rye is loosing value pretty quickly though but still lot of it there and they are wearing it out.

Apples to apples of real world numbers is that I'm not supplementing with anything and my cattle are gaining weight. How's that?? You're the one having to purchase supplemental feed.

I like buying feed lol. You have to feed your grass too (fertilizer). I like whatever is cheaper of the two. :2cents:
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:46 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
RanchMan90 wrote:A simple hay test should determine protein level. How about an apples to apples comparison of real world numbers. 100 winter feeding days feeding 4 lbs of liquid feed or 10 lbs of alfalfa in conjunction with 20 lbs of roughage (hay or stockpiled grass). Liquid feed costs will be $200, alfalfa will cost $75 over the course of 100 days. The difference will be $125 per head, which is all a cow/calf producer will make this year anyway.

I like buying feed lol. You have to feed your grass too (fertilizer). I like whatever is cheaper of the two. :2cents:

True...mine just produces much more food and lasts much longer and is really less expensive considering the results.
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:05 pm

RanchMan90 wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
RanchMan90 wrote:A simple hay test should determine protein level. How about an apples to apples comparison of real world numbers. 100 winter feeding days feeding 4 lbs of liquid feed or 10 lbs of alfalfa in conjunction with 20 lbs of roughage (hay or stockpiled grass). Liquid feed costs will be $200, alfalfa will cost $75 over the course of 100 days. The difference will be $125 per head, which is all a cow/calf producer will make this year anyway.

Not sure that is a true statement......
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:18 pm

TexasBred wrote:
RanchMan90 wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Apples to apples of real world numbers is that I'm not supplementing with anything and my cattle are gaining weight. How's that?? You're the one having to purchase supplemental feed.

True...mine just produces much more food and lasts much longer and is really less expensive considering the results.

That's awesome. No till rye?
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:19 pm

1982vett wrote:
RanchMan90 wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Apples to apples of real world numbers is that I'm not supplementing with anything and my cattle are gaining weight. How's that?? You're the one having to purchase supplemental feed.

Not sure that is a true statement......

How do you do it?
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:29 pm

Stopped overstocking and over grazing.

Millions of range land doesn't get commercial fertilization.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Return to “Health & Nutrition”