Minerals for bottle calves.

Cattle problems.
Standardbredgirl
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:40 pm
Location: TN

Minerals for bottle calves.

Postby Standardbredgirl » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:59 pm

I've had my bottle calves for three weeks now... they are all 4-6 weeks old(on grass of a day, I put them in the barn of a night,they have hay when in the barn) and I was wondering when I should give them some sort of minerals? In a few weeks, now, yesterday? :oops: Also what kind loose or block(The only minerals I've gotten were for my horses and they were in blocks.)and what brand would you guys recommend?
Thank you!
0 x

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5577
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: Minerals for bottle calves.

Postby M-5 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:35 pm

Just get loose mineral. Your local feed store should have a good quality one. If all you have is Tractor supply get the purina and that should do fine for what you have. Put a trough in the barn so it stays dry and give them free choice.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 28045
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Minerals for bottle calves.

Postby TexasBred » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:53 pm

Bottle calves should be getting what they need from the milk replacer as well as the good high quality calf starter I hope you have available for them ( I know they won't eat much now but the sooner your put it in front of them the better)
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

User avatar
Rafter S
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3707
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:13 am
Location: Grimes County, TX

Re: Minerals for bottle calves.

Postby Rafter S » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:52 pm

In addition to mineral, it wouldn't hurt to put out some loose salt.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Standardbredgirl
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:40 pm
Location: TN

Re: Minerals for bottle calves.

Postby Standardbredgirl » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:21 pm

TexasBred wrote:Bottle calves should be getting what they need from the milk replacer as well as the good high quality calf starter I hope you have available for them ( I know they won't eat much now but the sooner your put it in front of them the better)

I always have starter in front them at all times... They have recently found out the starter is delicious! :lol:
0 x

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10965
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Minerals for bottle calves.

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:15 pm

I've never given mineral to something that small. Not sayin you shouldn't, I've just never done it.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5577
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: Minerals for bottle calves.

Postby M-5 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:10 am

my bottle calves are always in the a pen next to cow lot when I raise one or two. when they are about 6 to 8 weeks old and eating some grain , I let them into the lot where the mineral is at to have a bigger place to run buck and pick at the grass along the edges . once the find the mineral trough they will go to it and eat a little and Ive seen them do it quite often. not sure how much or if they actually get anything but they will do it and then go to water trough and fill their belly. I cant see where it hurts anything . I also see sucking calves come to trough with their dams and get some.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 28045
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Minerals for bottle calves.

Postby TexasBred » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:05 pm

Standardbredgirl wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Bottle calves should be getting what they need from the milk replacer as well as the good high quality calf starter I hope you have available for them ( I know they won't eat much now but the sooner your put it in front of them the better)

I always have starter in front them at all times... They have recently found out the starter is delicious! :lol:

They should be getting all the need from their feed but if you want to drop a handful of mineral into something for them it certainly won't hurt anything. I doubt they'll eat it though.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Standardbredgirl
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:40 pm
Location: TN

Re: Minerals for bottle calves.

Postby Standardbredgirl » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:32 am

TexasBred wrote:
Standardbredgirl wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Bottle calves should be getting what they need from the milk replacer as well as the good high quality calf starter I hope you have available for them ( I know they won't eat much now but the sooner your put it in front of them the better)

I always have starter in front them at all times... They have recently found out the starter is delicious! :lol:

They should be getting all the need from their feed but if you want to drop a handful of mineral into something for them it certainly won't hurt anything. I doubt they'll eat it though.

Will I need to offer them minerals when they are weaned? Sorry for all the questions :oops: but these are my first calves, I just want to make sure they're getting everything they need.
0 x

User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2148
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS

Re: Minerals for bottle calves.

Postby TCRanch » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:21 pm

Just my $.02: If I were you I'd call my vet to see what he recommends based on your area (eg: are you selenium or copper deficient?). My calves have access to the same minerals as the cows but generally don't start eating it until they're at least 2-3 months old. Loose mineral is available year 'round (which negates the need for a separate sale block/loose salt) and based on the newly implemented VFD we planned to switch to medicated mineral (with CTC/chlortetracycline) at the end of May but our vet called and said, based on the early influx of flies & ticks this year, to start a couple weeks ago.
0 x

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 28045
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Minerals for bottle calves.

Postby TexasBred » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:19 pm

CTC won't help with flies.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2148
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS

Re: Minerals for bottle calves.

Postby TCRanch » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:14 pm

No, you're right, should have been more specific. Vet called about putting out CTC mineral because of the ticks but the discussion included spraying for flies earlier than "normal" this year. BTW we hardly had any ticks last year, even on the dogs & cats (and us) but they're already bad.
0 x


Return to “Health & Nutrition”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests