Switching to Oral Wormer

Cattle problems.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Switching to Oral Wormer

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:06 pm

I am switching from injectable Ivomec to Oral (drenching) application of Safe Guard.

Why? My cows don't like it! Not being funny. Those injectable wormers usually mean two injections. I inject subcutaneous behind the front leg (Ivomec directions include behind the front leg as an appropriate injection site. Remember, it just goes under the skin so don't start the BQA debate).

These injections are causing my cows such a bad experience in the chute that I want to switch to another means of administration. I got one of my favorite cows that is getting to the point I cannot work her in the chute. Since I am 100 percent AI, that is bad news. I detest pour on so I am going to use the oral caulking gun applicator to administer Safe Guard.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Switching to Oral Wormer

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:26 pm

Have fun we quit that fight decades ago. They dam sure fought that old mouth wormer and syringe.
You would be better off going to cubes.
Edit
I know of no oral or pour on that gets liver flukes.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:42 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:Have fun we quit that fight decades ago. They dam sure fought that old mouth wormer and syringe.
Edit

CB. You are right on the liver flukes but if I remember, Lucky said he never sees them here.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:49 pm

The safeguard wormer for goats, can be drizzled over your cow feed. Almost impossible to do more than one cow at a time, but it does work well.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:52 pm

Bigfoot wrote:The safeguard wormer for goats, can be drizzled over your cow feed. Almost impossible to do more than one cow at a time, but it does work well.

Safeguard makes cube wormer as well its kinda of pricey they claim 1 50 pound bag worms ten cows.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:00 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:The safeguard wormer for goats, can be drizzled over your cow feed. Almost impossible to do more than one cow at a time, but it does work well.

Safeguard makes cube wormer as well its kinda of pricey they claim 1 50 pound bag worms ten cows.

I'd have to look on a bottle to know for sure, but it's like 2.5 cc per hundred weight for the liquid. You can worm a 400 pound calf pretty cheap at that rate.

The generic ivomec pour makes a good wormer when given orally to. That's an off label use of course. I administer it the same way. I have no idea what the rate would be. I have given it to goats, that I was certain were going to die from their parasite load, but crapped a number 9 washtub load of dead worms after giving it to them.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

JSCATTLE
GURU
GURU

Postby JSCATTLE » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:07 pm

I use safeguard cubes and I'm happy so far. I do like to run them through every 18 months or so for the injectable just in case of liverflukes.
0 x
God bless America .. 1/20/17 ..

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:11 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:

I'd have to look on a bottle to know for sure, but it's like 2.5 cc per hundred weight for the liquid. You can worm a 400 pound calf pretty cheap at that rate.

The generic ivomec pour makes a good wormer when given orally to. That's an off label use of course. I administer it the same way. I have no idea what the rate would be. I have given it to goats, that I was certain were going to die from their parasite load, but crapped a number 9 washtub load of dead worms after giving it to them.

This is going to gross some people out.

When we were kids, say 5 to 6 in that range. Mom went to old Doc Townsend once a year - in the spring. She got worm medicine. Me and my other two brothers lined up and took a table spoon full of a dark gritty medicine for worms. I remember the next day, I was down over the hill and had to poop. My crap was full of dead worms. Mostly pin worms. You have to remember, we were hillbillies. We drank water from where ever we found a creek or a wet weather drain.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:19 pm

No matter how hard I tried or how many times I did it I usually ended up with about 25% of the Safeguard Drench on the concrete floor in front of the headgate or slung out farther down the alley.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:25 pm

TexasBred wrote:No matter how hard I tried or how many times I did it I usually ended up with about 25% of the Safeguard Drench on the concrete floor in front of the headgate or slung out farther down the alley.

When I am halter breaking and weaning. I have my calves up a lot. During that time, I worm about twice. I use the Safe Guard caulking gun, I get that curved tube in at the corner of their mouth and get to the back of their throat. Rarely lose any.
0 x

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Till-Hill » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:48 pm

Get it in the mineral or feed no way I'm drenching. I'd much rather just inject over drench! We use feed safegaurd here on everything. Only cow that didn't get it last winter. Yep her calf broke with coxy
0 x

bmoore87
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby bmoore87 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:00 pm

Till-Hill wrote:Get it in the mineral or feed no way I'm drenching. I'd much rather just inject over drench! We use feed safegaurd here on everything. Only cow that didn't get it last winter. Yep her calf broke with coxy

Agreed the 25 pound bags of safeguard feed aren't that much more expensive and can just mix it in there feed.

Calves aren't bad but it seems like the xcows that don't like being drenched remember it after a couple years
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:28 pm

None of them get very crazy at my place. Run them in the chute and a couple of Cydectin injections in the neck and all is good.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:40 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:Have fun we quit that fight decades ago. They dam sure fought that old mouth wormer and syringe.
Edit

I think I ended up with as much of that green slimy crap on my face and shirt as I got shot down their throat, and 1/2 of what went in got slung out as soon as we turned them loose. Leather cup dries out or cracks and half of what was in the gun slipped by the cup and ended up in the top of the barrel above the cup when you pushed the plunger down. When you went to suck up the next gun full, what was in the top of the barrel came squirting out the top of the gun between the shaft and the cap, right on you. fun times...

Safeguard cubes are the best thing since sliced bread.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Putangitangi
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Putangitangi » Mon May 01, 2017 1:26 am

Is liver fluke not widespread enough there for a p/o to be sold? We have one here, combined with a general wormer. I switched to it years ago, as soon as it was available, to avoid all the messing around with weight divisions and oral drenching.

A new headbail may make it easier to return to oral drenching for the youngsters, which I'd quite like to be able to do.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”