Switching to Oral Wormer

Cattle problems.
wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Re: Switching to Oral Wormer

Postby wbvs58 » Mon May 01, 2017 2:57 am

Caustic Burno wrote:Have fun we quit that fight decades ago. They dam sure fought that old mouth wormer and syringe.
You would be better off going to cubes.
Edit
I know of no oral or pour on that gets liver flukes.

One of the most effective drugs for liver fluke is Triclabendizole, it will control both mature and immature liver flukes, it is only available as an oral drench.

Ron, have a go at injecting under the skin in the anal tail fold, I use it for my bulls vibrio vaccine (5ml oily dose) and they don't seem to mind what you are doing there.

The big shepherds hook on the end of a flexible tube makes for pretty easy oral drenching. If we have a wet summer I well give them an oral Fluke drench. Having a chain under their chin makes things easier as well or a good chin catch.

Ken
0 x

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Mon May 01, 2017 6:28 am

I've seen photos of your cows and grass.
I have serious doubts that your cows even need to be dewormed. Ever.

Beyond that, I'm not even convinced that most cows over 4 years of age need to be dewormed - unless you are in a fluke area - or even that it's economically worthwhile to do so. Calves... yeah, they benefit (as does your bottom line) from deworming...but cows...I'm just not convinced that they benefit enough to justify the expense. $$$ spent on fly control have far better ROI.

35+ years of veterinary practice and diagnostic pathology in AL, TN, MO, KY... I've seen exactly ONE cow come to necropsy with liver flukes - and she was a recent 'import' from Texas. We just don't have flukes here, and there's no need for anyone in this part of the country to use a product for fluke control.

Our cows hate to have their heads messed with worse than they like injections... I'd hazard a guess that I'd get more 'resistance' from drench-deworming than injecting (if I did either with any regularity).
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon May 01, 2017 6:36 am

Lucky_P wrote:I've seen photos of your cows and grass.
I have serious doubts that your cows even need to be dewormed. Ever.

Beyond that, I'm not even convinced that most cows over 4 years of age need to be dewormed - unless you are in a fluke area - or even that it's economically worthwhile to do so. Calves... yeah, they benefit (as does your bottom line) from deworming...but cows...I'm just not convinced that they benefit enough to justify the expense. $$$ spent on fly control have far better ROI.

35+ years of veterinary practice and diagnostic pathology in AL, TN, MO, KY... I've seen exactly ONE cow come to necropsy with liver flukes - and she was a recent 'import' from Texas. We just don't have flukes here, and there's no need for anyone in this part of the country to use a product for fluke control.

Our cows hate to have their heads messed with worse than they like injections... I'd hazard a guess that I'd get more 'resistance' from drench-deworming than injecting (if I did either with any regularity).

I knew you mentioned that before. Thanks.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon May 01, 2017 9:36 am

bmoore87 wrote:
Till-Hill wrote:Get it in the mineral or feed no way I'm drenching. I'd much rather just inject over drench! We use feed safegaurd here on everything. Only cow that didn't get it last winter. Yep her calf broke with coxy

Agreed the 25 pound bags of safeguard feed aren't that much more expensive and can just mix it in there feed.

Calves aren't bad but it seems like the xcows that don't like being drenched remember it after a couple years

Use to go in a feed store that had a big wash tub sitting in the floor full of cubes that contained Safeguard. No idea who made them but you just weighed out what you needed and paid. Don't know if it was a 3 day worming protocol or not.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Mon May 01, 2017 10:29 am

The 25Pound bag of Safeguard pellet are easy to use , only takes a pound per 1000# . 1/2 pound per 500# . I used them this fall with heifers I was running on hayfields and didn't want to run them all the way home to go thru the chute. about 60 bucks per bag.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

aprille218
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby aprille218 » Mon May 01, 2017 4:15 pm

Valbazen ( albendazole) is an oral flukicide available in the US.
0 x

Putangitangi
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Putangitangi » Mon May 01, 2017 5:26 pm

wbvs58 wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:...I know of no oral or pour on that gets liver flukes.

One of the most effective drugs for liver fluke is Triclabendizole, it will control both mature and immature liver flukes, it is only available as an oral drench...

In NZ we can get it as a pour-on in combination with abamectin. Makes life easier.

There was a suggestion in an organics book I read some years ago, which I've tried to follow up with veterinarians at various times, that keeping cattle liver copper levels in the correct range enables them to resist liver fluke or make the liver environment less hospitable for flukes. Certainly I've dropped right back on fluke treatment since upping my copper supplementation and rarely see them reported on my kill sheets any more. (We inject copper regularly because of a secondary deficiency caused by high levels of iron in the pastures.)
0 x

Katpau
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Katpau » Mon May 01, 2017 6:12 pm

aprille218 wrote:Valbazen ( albendazole) is an oral flukicide available in the US.
Liver Flukes are a severe problem in the Pacific Northwest and Valbazen is the most commonly used drench in this area. It also has the advantage that it does not kill Dung Beatles.
0 x

R V
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby R V » Tue May 02, 2017 7:56 pm

Lucky P,

Do you believe that the oral dosing leads to less resistance secondary to minimal if any subtherapeutic residual? Ivermectin products (no matter which brand nor route) have had a very poor ROI over the last couple of years, but it worked great previously. Cydectin had an okay response, so I switched to Long Range once with an improved response in everything but my checkbook. I tried oral on a group of heifers with very good results and I have continued to use oral for the past year and a half with excellent results - both visually and reproductively. Is there a time frame where I should alternate to help decrease resistance or just keep doing the same until it doesn't work. I do believe all of my neighbors continue to use injectable or pour on routes.

Thanks!
0 x

Luckiamute
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Luckiamute » Tue May 02, 2017 8:49 pm

Valbazen is a very good oral dewormer. Have had very good results with it based on fecal tests we have done on our calves.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”