10 Qt. Calf ?

Cattle problems.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

10 Qt. Calf ?

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun May 07, 2017 2:59 pm

My wife is bottle feeding a calf who looked thin at 1 week, so I told her to give him a little more each day. When I checked back he was up to 5 qts x 2 = 10 per day. :nod: He is doing great. Why are the recommendations so much lower?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: 10 Qt. Calf ?

Postby Nesikep » Sun May 07, 2017 4:07 pm

Probably partly because of the expense and labor of feeding 5x a day.. They will drink lots if it's there.. I know my calves on my heavy milking cows probably drink 4 gallons of milk a day by 6 weeks of age
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sun May 07, 2017 6:21 pm

Partly expense, as Nesi stated, and partly because many have started them on "starter" feed.

I always fed 3X a day, as it is closer to how they would do on their momma. And I always fed a bit more than the bag recommendations, as I found they "did" better.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon May 08, 2017 11:58 am

Stocker Steve wrote:My wife is bottle feeding a calf who looked thin at 1 week, so I told her to give him a little more each day. When I checked back he was up to 5 qts x 2 = 10 per day. :nod: He is doing great. Why are the recommendations so much lower?

Because they always did very well on two quarts twice a day, but I fed fresh milk right out of the cow. Never saw a need for any more. Calf starter and fresh water was placed in front of them from day one and replaced daily along with fresh cleaned containers.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Thu May 11, 2017 8:14 pm

Many dairies are now going to feeding a 3 qt bottle a feeding 2 x a day, rather than just the 2 qt bottle. 5 qt a feeding 2x a day is more than I would normally feed. If feeding a little less they are more likely to get to wanting to eat feed than if the milk is supplying all their needs. Plus the expense if buying milk replacer. I am all for feeding 3 qt 2x a day, or at least 2 qt 3x a day.
0 x

ez14.
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby ez14. » Thu May 11, 2017 10:08 pm

I'm surprised no one has mentioned scours! If it's working for you that's great BUT for some calves over feeding is a problem
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu May 11, 2017 10:59 pm

feeding too much PER FEEDING is more dangerous than feeding small feedings more frequently... I usually see my calves nurse every 3 hours or so (maybe less at night?) so about 6x per day.. I don't see any of them being happy with 3 meals a day.. sure, they'll live fine, but it's not nearly as often as "natural".. I do realize it's too much darned work to do though
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Thu May 11, 2017 11:22 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:My wife is bottle feeding a calf who looked thin... so I told her to give him a little more each day.
When I checked back he was up to 5 qts x 2 = 10 per day. :nod:

Maybe you should have checked back with your wife 6 months sooner!
:)
0 x

ez14.
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby ez14. » Fri May 12, 2017 8:56 am

Son of Butch wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:My wife is bottle feeding a calf who looked thin... so I told her to give him a little more each day.
When I checked back he was up to 5 qts x 2 = 10 per day. :nod:

Maybe you should have checked back with your wife 6 months sooner!
:)

:nod:

:lol:
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat May 13, 2017 8:16 am

She burned through a bag of replacer in no time...

Got the big boy grafted onto a penned up cow now. Still giving him one 2 qt. bottle a day for old times sake.

How soon after they start nursing on the graft cow is it safe to put the pair back in the herd?
0 x
Stocker Steve

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sat May 13, 2017 12:31 pm

When she lets him nurse anytime he goes to her and she is talking to him a little then she has "taken" him. I like to keep them together for 2-3 days after the cow seems to have accepted the calf to make sure....but have turned them out in as little as 24 hours if she is mothering it.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sat May 13, 2017 8:48 pm

farmerjan wrote:When she lets him nurse anytime he goes to her and she is talking to him a little then she has "taken" him. I like to keep them together for 2-3 days after the cow seems to have accepted the calf to make sure....but have turned them out in as little as 24 hours if she is mothering it.

:nod: :nod:
I've kept them up, 3 to 4 days, just to be sure, then turned them out.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Return to “Health & Nutrition”