Bovatec

Cattle problems.
Steer15
Beginner
Beginner

Bovatec

Postby Steer15 » Fri May 12, 2017 8:05 am

We have 6 steers that are a year old. They were eating an 11% feed steer grower from our local feed mill. There was a lot of powder left in the feed trough so the feed mill suggested we make our feed mix up. They suggested crimped corn and bovatec. We want to maintain a medicine free natural raising of the beef and a prime marbling quality. They said the bovatec was a vitamin that would help with the efficiency of corn absorption. My question is by feeding them bovatec am I keeping my diet natural and medicine/antibiotic free?
0 x

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Re: Bovatec

Postby Cross-7 » Fri May 12, 2017 8:32 am

It's an ionophore. It "feeds" the rumen and utilizes feed more efficiently and helps prevent acidosis

No idea whether it prevents the beef from being called antibiotic free
Last edited by Cross-7 on Fri May 12, 2017 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Fri May 12, 2017 8:35 am

it would require a VFD if it has antibiotic in it. From what I read you are capable of mixing an antibiotic in it.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri May 12, 2017 10:43 am

Bovatec was not included in the VFD and cattle fed bovatec or rumensin can be marketed as medicine/antibiotic free.
All though there are some that may argue the definition of all natural when raising animals.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri May 12, 2017 2:24 pm

Steer15 wrote:We have 6 steers that are a year old. They were eating an 11% feed steer grower from our local feed mill. There was a lot of powder left in the feed trough so the feed mill suggested we make our feed mix up. They suggested crimped corn and bovatec. We want to maintain a medicine free natural raising of the beef and a prime marbling quality. They said the bovatec was a vitamin that would help with the efficiency of corn absorption. My question is by feeding them bovatec am I keeping my diet natural and medicine/antibiotic free?

Sounds like your feed mill has no idea what Bovatec is. That's shameful. I'd be scared to death of their feed. Anyway, yes technically Bovatec is an antibiotic but not in the sense that penicillin and others are in the group and it is not affected by the VFD. Feed it and if it makes you feel better quit feeding it 30 days or so before slaughter.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Steer15
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Steer15 » Sat May 13, 2017 7:53 am

Thank you guys for replying.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”