Inbred calf

Cattle problems.
JCcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Inbred calf

Postby JCcattle » Thu May 25, 2017 8:06 am

Thanks Nesikep.. have to decide what she means to us. I'm sure she will raises brutes of calves with the added dairy for milk, her mother's half dairy calves look like beef and are at the top of the calf crop! Dun, that would be a shocker!! Reminds me of a cow we had that popped twins one year and before 11 months she surprised us with her next before calving season was even supposed to start!! Not a wonder that the fall after that she showed up open. The reason she'd had a chance to be bred early it dawned on us later was we'd had her in a pen for extra feeding with her twins, bought a young bull and they shared space a few weeks as we didn't wanna throw him with the old guy right away, and obviously she was eager to be the first to use his services.
0 x

JCcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby JCcattle » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:06 am

Just thot I’d update on this... calf made it to selling time and we got our bonus $$.. mama rebred and tho she is a lil small she’s in good condition! Looking forward to seeing what she does this year!
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:55 pm

It is line-breeding if the calf turns out good - it's in-breeding if the calf is deformed. LOL
3 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:36 pm

what do ya think happens in the wild? if they weren't domesticated every cow on the planet would be related somehow..brothers sisters moms dads free for all....soon as they were old enough

btw I don't turn my heifers to the bull til at least 18 mos...
2 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:45 pm

dieselbeef wrote:what do ya think happens in the wild? if they weren't domesticated every cow on the planet would be related somehow..brothers sisters moms dads free for all....soon as they were old enough

Was a inbred herd a man had here,,you see one of them, then youd have seen them all.. All looked,and were cut from the same cloth....
1 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:49 pm

good or bad..we got guys here never even bother..one yr round up the ones look big enough get on the trlr...
2 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:49 pm

Ol' 243 wrote:Roll Tide

Perfect posting Ol' 243 for the topic of inbreeding.

Inbred cattle cull themselves, with lower survival rates to weaning and some will have lessor fertility.
The ones that make it will be fine and can even become national champions.

Roll Tide
1 x

JCcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby JCcattle » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:30 pm

dieselbeef wrote:what do ya think happens in the wild? if they weren't domesticated every cow on the planet would be related somehow..brothers sisters moms dads free for all....soon as they were old enough

Yeah I’ve thot of that too how it works with wild animals.. guess we don’t know how many die off from inbreeding! This was an oops, my dairy cow’s heifer calf wasn’t weaned when she came into heat around 7 months old. She had been born a couple months before our calving season so she was a little older than the rest. We take our bulls out early enough to prevent baby heifers being bred, except we made a mistake there I guess! Live and learn! I find this line breeding topic an interesting one! Thanks for your comments!
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:42 pm

The longhorn is a good example..some ran wild for awhile, inbreeding like hillbillies..but the survivors were hardier and had good udders...
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

Big Cheese
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Cheese » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:21 am

We have a few heifers that we retained in 2014-2015 that when we put them out to pasture, after weaning them until at least 20 months old, we put some out to pasture with their sire for about 3 months until we decided we had to many out of him to put to pasture and we moved him to a different herd and bought some new bulls. We have had 4 calves out of those heifers that bred to him and should have some more before the middle of March when they will start coming out of our new bulls. The ones that we have are growing really well and the cows had zero problems having the calves and everything is going well. The first one got pink eye in both eyes when it was a couple of months old so it is stunted a little bit but otherwise they are growing and looking really good. I'm expecting to have about 10 or so calves like this so hopefully everything continues to go good with it.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:33 am

Big Cheese....welcome back young man. You've been missing way too long...
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Big Cheese
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Cheese » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:33 am

Its good to be back! I've missed checking this everyday and reading things from really good cattlemen. I learn something new every time I get on here.
1 x

JCcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby JCcattle » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:45 pm

Well it didn’t seem to hold back his mama too much! She’s ready to calve again in the next couple weeks, less than a year after her first that she had so young! Excited to see what she will have being bred to an unrelated bull this time lol
0 x

Big Cheese
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Cheese » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:01 am

Sounds like she is going to end up being a pretty good cow for you even with being bred to young. I had a heifer have a calf when she was 16 months old a couple of years ago while we had her in our heifer pen. We let her raise the calf, which ended not being much of a calf lol i got $200 for it, in the heifer pen then we put her out with a bull and she just had her second calf without any problem. She seems to be just fine with a good bag and everything.
0 x

jehosofat
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby jehosofat » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:31 am

Son of Butch wrote:
Ol' 243 wrote:Roll Tide

Perfect posting Ol' 243 for the topic of inbreeding.

Inbred cattle cull themselves, with lower survival rates to weaning and some will have lessor fertility.
The ones that make it will be fine and can even become national champions.

Roll Tide

Roll Tide :lol:
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”