"Herder" bull

Cattle problems.
JCcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

"Herder" bull

Postby JCcattle » Mon May 29, 2017 5:33 pm

We bought a new bull this spring.. a yearling black angus x simm from a place that our other two are from. Really like them, but this guy has a characteristic we've never had! When we go out there sometimes he gets real busy keeping the heifers an cows he's with away from us or the fence.. just snorting and puffing and not being very gentle about it! Sometimes he's fine and doesn't bat an eye, just keeps grazing or chewing his cud, but when he gets into herding it can be rather annoying! He's not aggressive toward us, just to the cows. Too much testosterone?! Will he alway be that way or is he a hot head cuz he's young? Is it a trait that can show up in offspring? We don't keep any bulls but we do keep our heifers..
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Re: "Herder" bull

Postby Bigfoot » Mon May 29, 2017 5:59 pm

I've seen that a bunch. Never paid much mind to it. Can't say I've seen it, when 2 bulls are running with the same herd.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Mon May 29, 2017 7:12 pm

A friend of mine had a bull that will do that with whomever is in-heat. He'll separate her from the herd, and keep her way, away from the herd for a day or 2 or 3. :? He finally sold that bull and bought a new one, the new one doesn't do that.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

JCcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby JCcattle » Mon May 29, 2017 8:00 pm

That could get bad then if other cows are in heat during that time. I've heard too where the bull so busy herding he didn't keep up with breeding. Now this guy isn't so bad, if he was worse then we would know what to do! As it is it looks rather bleak to have a herder bull for the years to come but he's doing his job and don't just wanna ship something you pay good money for..
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Mon May 29, 2017 8:20 pm

JCcattle wrote:That could get bad then if other cows are in heat during that time. I've heard too where the bull so busy herding he didn't keep up with breeding.

The primary reason as to why he sold the bull. His calving season became not so tight. :(

Now this guy isn't so bad, if he was worse then we would know what to do! As it is it looks rather bleak to have a herder bull for the years to come but he's doing his job and don't just wanna ship something you pay good money for..

Makes sense. If he's doing his job, that's what counts. :)

0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

JCcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby JCcattle » Mon May 29, 2017 11:30 pm

Yeah that's true. Guess we are a little concerned about what he will be like and his offspring far as temperament goes but we will get a better feel of it in time. Thanks for now!
0 x

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ClinchValley » Wed May 31, 2017 9:41 am

I too have a young bull who is obsessed with herding the girls. Makes rotating a pain sometimes. I hadn't thought about neglecting his duties. Is this a very common problem with bulls who like to herd?
0 x
I am forever in the pursuit of more knowledge and wisdom. For I will always be "green."

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed May 31, 2017 1:12 pm

That's not uncommon. Its usually considered a good trait. He will save you a lot of heartache when those cows try to go whoring around the neighbors fence... and yes... its not always the neighbors' bulls' fault.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Putangitangi
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Putangitangi » Wed May 31, 2017 3:53 pm

I've seen it mostly in young bulls and it's a pain. They'll sometimes stop their cows from grazing for hours. In a large paddock, I've watched little bulls running for most of a day, trying to corale cows who've gone further away than he wants them. Worrying that they'd wear themselves out, I've usually pulled those bulls out for a rest - and not kept them. It's a trait I don't like. Running my cows around isn't something I let anyone do!
0 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:03 pm

Putangitangi wrote:They'll sometimes stop their cows from grazing for hours.

This is why I sold my "herder". Too much runnin and not enough eatin isn't a good combo.
0 x

JCcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby JCcattle » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:15 pm

I believe that it could run a guy down. Far as I know this guy only does it sometimes when we come around, never see him doing it from a distance.. been good to hear what you all have to say. Will see how he looks at the end of the season.. will be pulling bulls the end of July.
0 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:31 am

JCcattle wrote:I believe that it could run a guy down. Far as I know this guy only does it sometimes when we come around, never see him doing it from a distance.. been good to hear what you all have to say. Will see how he looks at the end of the season.. will be pulling bulls the end of July.

Not concerned for running the bull down, concerned for the cows not eating.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:48 am

Brute 23 wrote:That's not uncommon. Its usually considered a good trait. He will save you a lot of heartache when those cows try to go whoring around the neighbors fence... and yes... its not always the neighbors' bulls' fault.

Got that right a cow is a slut.
Secondly always takes two bulls to have a bull fight.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

JCcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby JCcattle » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:32 pm

Not concerned for running the bull down, concerned for the cows not eating.[/quote]

Gotcha!
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”