Re: New Call

Cattle problems.
Tomcolvin
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Tomcolvin » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:38 pm

I have a dairy heifer with an extra large bag. I nee 3 calves on her but don't have the means for this now. She won't let me milk her out. I have tried but she keeps walking side ways back and to. I don't know if I could drive her into the head gate by my self her calf 1-1/2 week old now is not making a lot of head way. What do you suggest? I am afraid she might go into mastiff. I tried to milk this eve and did it a few seconds and she began to side step and turn on me.
0 x

OwnedByTheCow
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby OwnedByTheCow » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:44 pm

Do you have means of getting a halter on her and hobbling her legs? That's what I would do.
If that doesn't work remove the calf from being in the way and try and keep her tied to something like a post until she stops fussing, do that again and again until she lets you touch her and milk her. It may take a while but it's the best thing you could do.
0 x
An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.
Ghandi

Tomcolvin
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Re: New Call

Postby Tomcolvin » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:49 pm

Ok, this eve I fed her and slipped a rope over her head. After the rodeo, I finally got her tied to a post and she liked to have choked her self to death but I did milk some. Maybe about a quart or little less. She kept turning over the bucket so I just milked it out on the ground. I miked all 4 tits. She has a huge bag and I figured it would take a 5 gallon bucket to drain her. I think the calf sucked after I quit. I don't know if i did any good or not.
0 x

Tomcolvin
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Tomcolvin » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:23 pm

Do you think I need to keep milking her and for how long? Her calf now 2 weeks old has gained 22 ponds in 14 days. She was born 52 lbs. Now weighs 73 / 74 lbs. Should I try to keep milking?
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:27 pm

If the bag always looks full, yeah, I'd keep milking once a day.. Yes, when I'm training them to milk, if they fuss, I find I'm a lot less frustrated if I just milk onto the ground, then they can fidget all they want and I don't have to worry about a bucket.
After a while she ought to figure out you milking her relieves her and she'll settle down and you can start using a bucket... This training will also come in handy if you do get some calves you want to graft on!
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

OwnedByTheCow
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby OwnedByTheCow » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:51 pm

How long do you want to milk her is the question? If you did end up getting milk out of her by that method I would do that again. She will eventually get used to it. When are you planning on putting calves on her?
0 x
An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.
Ghandi

Tomcolvin
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Tomcolvin » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:44 pm

Don't know if will put calves on her this year. Maybe next go around.
0 x

Tomcolvin
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Tomcolvin » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:22 pm

Update on Betsy Sue, I milked her for a week. She seem to have dropped in bag size. Her calf Stormy (remember, born in a tarrintal down pour with lighting and all) is doing fine. Thank GOD for his hand on it because mind could do nothing.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”