Page 1 of 1

Weight Loss in 4 yr old Cow

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:34 pm
by ChipC
I've got a 4 yr old red angus momma cow that is losing weight. She was pulled down last year by a calf that I didn't wean until it was 13 months old. She gained a little weight back over the winter, but is really losing it now. I plan to separate her and her new calf and try to put some weight on her. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should feed her to put some weight on? Should I include any kind of vitamin or minerals to the feed? Any advice would be really appreciated.

Re: Weight Loss in 4 yr old Cow

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:43 pm
by Bigfoot
The cow is the factory, and the calf is the output. You gotta keep the factory in good working order. The longer the factory is up and running, and in production, the better it's going to be for everybody.

id also add surely that cow weaned that calf. Did it suck her for 13 months?

Shelled or cracked corn is one of your cheaper feeds that will add weight, to answer your question. That all the grass she wants should turn her around. If the damage isn't irreversible.

For the record, I have pulled similar stunts, so I'm not throwing stones.

Re: Weight Loss in 4 yr old Cow

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:08 am
by MRRherefords
Bigfoot wrote:The cow is the factory, and the calf is the output. You gotta keep the factory in good working order. The longer the factory is up and running, and in production, the better it's going to be for everybody.

id also add surely that cow weaned that calf. Did it suck her for 13 months?

Shelled or cracked corn is one of your cheaper feeds that will add weight, to answer your question. That all the grass she wants should turn her around. If the damage isn't irreversible.

For the record, I have pulled similar stunts, so I'm not throwing stones.

Never heard it quite put that way. Really like that comparison.

Re: Weight Loss in 4 yr old Cow

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:10 am
by MRRherefords
I would make sure that she had some kind of mineral for sure.

Re: Weight Loss in 4 yr old Cow

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:28 am
by Rafter S
:deadhorse: w
MRRherefords wrote:I would make sure that she had some kind of mineral for sure.


I always have loose salt and mineral available for mine.

Re: Weight Loss in 4 yr old Cow

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:16 am
by greybeard
Bigfoot wrote:
id also add surely that cow weaned that calf. Did it suck her for 13 months?



They won't always kick 'em off Bigfoot, especially once the calf gets big enough to push momma around some, and I've seen bull calves get big and aggressive quick and keep nursing no matter what it's momma did, or what other lactating cows did. Milk thieves..It's a cull factor to consider too.

Re: Weight Loss in 4 yr old Cow

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:57 am
by Workinonit Farm
greybeard wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:
id also add surely that cow weaned that calf. Did it suck her for 13 months?



They won't always kick 'em off Bigfoot, especially once the calf gets big enough to push momma around some, and I've seen bull calves get big and aggressive quick and keep nursing no matter what it's momma did, or what other lactating cows did. Milk thieves..It's a cull factor to consider too.


:nod: :nod: :nod:
I have had that happen.

As to the original post, if she has a current new calf, and is in the same pasture as the weaned one, its likely that both are nursing her. It sounds like she didn't get the opportunity to "dry-off and recover from that last calf. Either way, make sure the thief has no access to her, get her to where she has access to plenty of grass, toss a bit of grain to her each day, 2 or 3 pounds for sure, and a good quality loose mineral available free-choice. With any luck, she'll start to pick up in about a month.

Re: Weight Loss in 4 yr old Cow

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:32 am
by greatgerts
I'd also venture to say that the cow needs to be wormed, probably vaccinated as well.

Re: Weight Loss in 4 yr old Cow

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:39 am
by rustybottoms88
Another thing to consider is the possibility of hardware disease. Other then that I think everything has been covered that I would mention.

Re: Weight Loss in 4 yr old Cow

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:51 pm
by callmefence
greybeard wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:
id also add surely that cow weaned that calf. Did it suck her for 13 months?



They won't always kick 'em off Bigfoot, especially once the calf gets big enough to push momma around some, and I've seen bull calves get big and aggressive quick and keep nursing no matter what it's momma did, or what other lactating cows did. Milk thieves..It's a cull factor to consider too.


We turned a 13 month old bull out with the cows. He walks out there with all the swagger in the world. ...and starts trying to nurse.

Wife says what you think about that. I say , foreplay I reckon.. :cowboy:

Re: Weight Loss in 4 yr old Cow

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:17 pm
by angus9259
yeah, I'd be making sure she's not sick. hardware, Johnes, worms, etc...

Re: Weight Loss in 4 yr old Cow

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:24 pm
by Jeanne - Simme Valley
angus9259 wrote:yeah, I'd be making sure she's not sick. hardware, Johnes, worms, etc...

2X

"We turned a 13 month old bull out with the cows. He walks out there with all the swagger in the world. ...and starts trying to nurse.

Wife says what you think about that. I say , foreplay I reckon.. :cowboy:"
:lol: :clap: