PNEU Darts

Cattle problems.
User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7244
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: PNEU Darts

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:04 am

Do you just follow them around until the dart falls off/out so you can retrieve it?
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

jedstivers
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5489
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:32 pm
Location: Marianna Arkansas (East Central)

Re: PNEU Darts

Postby jedstivers » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:38 pm

jnm303 wrote:How much medicine can one dart deliver? I was treating for pink eye today and since LA 200 calls for 4.5 ml per 100 pounds, I'm giving 4-5 shots to each. How many times would I need to "shoot" them?

10ml. LA is to thinck anyway.
10ml of drax cures it right up.

Tbrake
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 5:37 pm

Re: PNEU Darts

Postby Tbrake » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:29 pm

I darted a bred heifer with 10 ml of la 300. Now she has a huge lump on her neck. Bigger than a softball. Never had that bad of a reaction before.

User avatar
Black and Good
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1416
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:21 am
Location: Eastern Kansas

Re: PNEU Darts

Postby Black and Good » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:39 am

jedstivers wrote:
jnm303 wrote:How much medicine can one dart deliver? I was treating for pink eye today and since LA 200 calls for 4.5 ml per 100 pounds, I'm giving 4-5 shots to each. How many times would I need to "shoot" them?

10ml. LA is to thinck anyway.
10ml of drax cures it right up.


I use LA300 all the time with no issues. B&G
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

User avatar
Black and Good
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1416
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:21 am
Location: Eastern Kansas

Re: PNEU Darts

Postby Black and Good » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:41 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Do you just follow them around until the dart falls off/out so you can retrieve it?



No, usually I'll find them later. If not it's only a 1/2" needle and they are aluminum. B&G
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

jedstivers
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5489
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:32 pm
Location: Marianna Arkansas (East Central)

Re: PNEU Darts

Postby jedstivers » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:42 pm

Black and Good wrote:
jedstivers wrote:
jnm303 wrote:How much medicine can one dart deliver? I was treating for pink eye today and since LA 200 calls for 4.5 ml per 100 pounds, I'm giving 4-5 shots to each. How many times would I need to "shoot" them?

10ml. LA is to thinck anyway.
10ml of drax cures it right up.


I use LA300 all the time with no issues. B&G

What good is 10ml?
Do you use 3 darts th get 30 in them?

User avatar
cfpinz
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5281
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:11 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: PNEU Darts

Postby cfpinz » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:32 am

We've got the pump up air rifle type, works good for it's intended purpose.

I've never used Draxxin, but have had good response using Mictil in ours for pinkeye treatment. Anyone compared both Micotil and Draxxin first-hand?

Also, I've yet to see any darts bigger than 10cc. Are there any bigger ones out there?
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

User avatar
cfpinz
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5281
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:11 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: PNEU Darts

Postby cfpinz » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:37 am

Tbrake wrote:I darted a bred heifer with 10 ml of la 300. Now she has a huge lump on her neck. Bigger than a softball. Never had that bad of a reaction before.


Never used LA in a dart gun because the dosage rates are so high, but we've had some pretty nice lumps from standard injections. They'll go away with time, and it bothers you a lot more than it does them.

I think we have fewer cases when using larger diameter needles (14/16 ga), I assume it causes less "turbulence" as the fluid exits the needle with less velocity. I've also noticed the same thing with Alpha 7.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

jedstivers
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5489
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:32 pm
Location: Marianna Arkansas (East Central)

Re: PNEU Darts

Postby jedstivers » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:41 pm

cfpinz wrote:We've got the pump up air rifle type, works good for it's intended purpose.

I've never used Draxxin, but have had good response using Mictil in ours for pinkeye treatment. Anyone compared both Micotil and Draxxin first-hand?

Also, I've yet to see any darts bigger than 10cc. Are there any bigger ones out there?

I'll do all sorts of deadly sh! t but using Mictill won't be one of them.
I get to much on me and stuck to much.

User avatar
cfpinz
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5281
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:11 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: PNEU Darts

Postby cfpinz » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:26 pm

jedstivers wrote:I'll do all sorts of deadly sh! t but using Mictill won't be one of them.
I get to much on me and stuck to much.


Gotta die of something!

I'll admit it's a little unnerving loading the darts with it.

Talked to one of the local vets today, she's worried Draxxin is getting overused in dart guns and it's going to lose its' potency quickly.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

User avatar
Black and Good
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1416
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:21 am
Location: Eastern Kansas

Re: PNEU Darts

Postby Black and Good » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:52 am

jedstivers wrote:
Black and Good wrote:
jedstivers wrote:10ml. LA is to thinck anyway.
10ml of drax cures it right up.


I use LA300 all the time with no issues. B&G

What good is 10ml?
Do you use 3 darts th get 30 in them?[/qu

If the animal is that large I won't use LA I usually use Draxxin. A Mature cow 10cc's of Draxxcin will normally fix what ales her.
B&G
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL


Return to “Health & Nutrition”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests