How long does your fly spray last?

Cattle problems.
TCRanch
GURU
GURU

How long does your fly spray last?

Postby TCRanch » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:24 am

Flies are horrible this year! We have used Fly Ban for years with great success but either the cattle have developed a resistance or the flies are so bad we can't keep up with them. We used to spray every couple weeks but now a lot of them (not all the cows but definitely the bulls) are covered again within a week.

So here's my cost/ingredient comparison:
Fly Ban, 7.4% permethrin, 7.4% piperonyl butoxide, 2.5 gal for $203.99
Ultra Saber, 1% lambda-cyalorthrin, 5% piperonyl butoxide, 1 gal for $192.59
Ultra Boss, 5% permethrin, 5% piperonly butoxide, 1 bal for $118.95
Brute10% permethrin, 1 gal 127.55

Looks like Fly Ban is the best bang for the buck, right? Except not if I have to use twice as much to get the same results as one of the others. Reading the 1 out of 5 star reviews, some claim Ultra Saber and Ultra Boss last 60 days but I suspect longevity/effectiveness is relative to time of year and weather conditions. I'm looking for opinions on ready to use fly sprays, not rubs, tags or dust.

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher

Re: How long does your fly spray last?

Postby bird dog » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:02 am

Its the flys that get a resistance, not the cattle. Switching the active ingredient usually helps some so in your case, I would try the Ultra Saber.

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:05 pm

What are your neighbors using? The resistance could very well be because your neighbors have caused it. If you have 6, 7, 8, 9 adjoining pastures with herds of cows in them, you have to contend with resistance. Going after the larvae only helps you. It doesn't help if your neighbors are hosting a breeding ground.

You've spent several nickels. I hope the cocktail works but what about next season?
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:12 pm

I've never known a dead fly to build up resistance to anything. You kill what you get the spray on and that's about it.... and most fly sprays have a very short residual life.
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:26 pm

In the spring before fly season we pour once with Boss. That holds fora couple of weeks. At the same time we start to use minerals with IGR and set up the fly mops. The cows will always have a couple of flys on them, ussually around the eyes but that's about it. We also rotate pastures and prevent boggy/wet areas.
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:39 pm

There's only one neighbor that has cattle directly on the other side of the fence and he puts ear tags in when they work cattle in the Spring - and that's it. His cattle look horrible (and quite frankly, most of them are downright ugly). The other neighboring pastures are across the road; a couple of them are diligent about fly control but another is not. That's part of the problem. This time of year when it's so hot our cattle prefer the lake, ponds, creeks (rarely use the stock tank or fountain) and those areas also have the most shade so boggy/wet is definitely a contributing factor. We also use minerals with IGR.

Realistically, do you think there's anything that will last longer than 2 weeks this time of year under these conditions? Thinking about trying the Ultra Saber because the active ingredients are different or Brute because the permethrin is slightly higher but if I don't see an increase in duration it's most likely back to Fly Ban.

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bird dog » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:56 pm

None of the pour on's are going to work very well if the cattle are wading into the ponds.

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Postby JW IN VA » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:39 pm

Fly rubs across the salt feeders might help you best. A fresh dose every day.Your neighbor may be contributing to the problem by putting fly tags in too early and no taking them back out in the fall (done both).Also he should rotate drugs.
You can rotate ingredients form year to year and will still help your cows.Be aware that their are basically two types of fly killers.Organophosphates and Pyrethoids. When I use fly tags,I do 3 years of organophosphates and one of the other :2cents: .I have had excellant results with fly rubs and am trying some Ultra Boss pour-on for some groups this year.
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:45 pm

This year I've switched to a 10% Permethrin. It doesn't seem to be lasting quite as long as what I usually use, Cylence. A couple of times it rained within 6 hours of application and that didn't help. (the forecast was for rain the next evening). Once I use up all the Permethrin, I'll go back to the Cylence.

I'm getting about 2 weeks out of the Permethrin.

Where I used to work we'd alternate between Saber and Ultra Boss. Both of those worked pretty well........ then.
Live each day as if it were your last.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:52 am

Workinonit Farm wrote:This year I've switched to a 10% Permethrin. It doesn't seem to be lasting quite as long as what I usually use, Cylence. A couple of times it rained within 6 hours of application and that didn't help. (the forecast was for rain the next evening). Once I use up all the Permethrin, I'll go back to the Cylence.

I'm getting about 2 weeks out of the Permethrin.

Where I used to work we'd alternate between Saber and Ultra Boss. Both of those worked pretty well........ then.

That's one I hadn't researched, thanks for the tip.

Skyy
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Skyy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:52 am

We use Ultra boss, lasts about 2 weeks.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:01 am

Got a Jeffers catalogue the other day and discovered Cyonara Plus. It's new, manufactured by Martin's and same active ingredients as Ultra Saber (says "compare to"). Jeffers lists it as $169.99 but AtoZVetsupply offers it for $146.49. I'm in!
http://www.atozvetsupply.com/Cyonara-Pl ... 036477.htm

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:29 pm

Thought I'd give a little update. Poured the herd with Cyonara Plus 7/30 and was practically in awe that even the horse flies were gone the next day. Eight days later, total buzzkill. They're not completely covered in flies and not all the cows are bad but my euphoria is totally gone. Bottom line: even the different active ingredients & heftier price tag will not effectively control the flies this year for more than 1 - 2 weeks. I'll probably finish out the season with the Cyonara and go back to my trusty Fly Ban next year.

Turkeybird
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Turkeybird » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:35 pm

Best thing for flies that I have used is long range

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:46 pm

TCRanch wrote:Thought I'd give a little update. Poured the herd with Cyonara Plus 7/30 and was practically in awe that even the horse flies were gone the next day. Eight days later, total buzzkill. They're not completely covered in flies and not all the cows are bad but my euphoria is totally gone. Bottom line: even the different active ingredients & heftier price tag will not effectively control the flies this year for more than 1 - 2 weeks. I'll probably finish out the season with the Cyonara and go back to my trusty Fly Ban next year.

Thanks for the follow-up.

:D
Live each day as if it were your last.

Return to “Health & Nutrition”