Lost our first cow today...

Cattle problems.
Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Lost our first cow today...

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:41 pm

So, we have been breeding cattle for more than 10 years now, and we lost our first cow yesterday. Got to say, it was not easy! Mulan was 7 years old (soon to be 8 ), nursing a Feb Live Ammo heifer calf, and bred back to calve in January to HPF Optimizer. Yesterday morning she was nursing her calf when we went out to bring in a cow to AI (around 6:30), and at 8AM we moved them to the next section of grass (about every 4 days right now they move). Anyway, she was fine. I left to go get a load of hay (1300 pound alfalfa rounds I bought for winter feeding), when I came back with a load (about 1 PM) I saw a black "blob" laying in the field and all the other cattle were in the shade. Went out to check, and there she was, dead but limber still (I picked up her head to verify who I knew it was by the ear tag- it was hot and 88 degrees so no rigor had set in yet). Dang, that hurts!
So I call the vet looking for option to dispose (none out by us, BTW), and he asked if there was Johnson Grass around.This little tuff below, is all that is in there ! The question is, is that enough to kill a cow?
I figured she had a stroke or heart attack. , like she was trying to get up but collapsed in the process. I did not want to post her, more expense and what would I learn? Nothing that will bring her back for sure.....
But now I am gun shy about the Johnson grass. It was tall, taller than 5 feet I bet... and they ate the tops off of it. I thought it was only toxic at the bottom?
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Lost our first cow today...

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:45 pm

Are you in drought like conditions?

Sorry for your loss.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:49 pm

be nice, hate that. I am very leary of Johnson grass, cows love it but it scares me. It can kill them in 10 minutes I hear.
0 x

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bird dog » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:10 pm

Doubtful it was Johnson grass judging by its color of the rest of your pasture. Your pasture doesn't looked stressed but if the vet asked about it, then maybe there is other folks having the same problem. Sorry for your loss but things happen. Loosing only one in 10 years is a pretty good record. I would take that anytime.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:20 pm

Sorry to hear of the loss.

In certain situations, Johnson grass can be toxic.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:36 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:Are you in drought like conditions?

Sorry for your loss.

We are dry, but not drought. I called the extension, they said lots of deaths, but none related to the grass (green moss in the ponds, lightening, and perilla mint have been linked to most). The next pasture we are rotating to I took the brush hog today to, just in case. Took all the tops off the tall grass, not much Johnsongrass, but enough to worry me!
Sure is hard trying to burn a 1800 pound cow.... we have used lots of wood and over 5 round bales that are a few years old.

Thanks everyone, when you have a small herd (35 cows), losing one is not easy. Her orphaned calf is adjusting, but not happy. We pulled her up and put her on grain.
Last edited by Fire Sweep Ranch on Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:40 pm

That stinks sorry about your loss. Can just a little bit of Johnson grass really kill a cow? Its kind of hard to believe that only one cow could have problems.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Postby Red Bull Breeder » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:25 pm

Just a little bit can kill a cow. Bush hogging it can make it worse as it stresses it to.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:35 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:So, we have been breeding cattle for more than 10 years now, and we lost our first cow yesterday. Got to say, it was not easy! Mulan was 7 years old (soon to be 8 ), nursing a Feb Live Ammo heifer calf, and bred back to calve in January to HPF Optimizer. Yesterday morning she was nursing her calf when we went out to bring in a cow to AI (around 6:30), and at 8AM we moved them to the next section of grass (about every 4 days right now they move). Anyway, she was fine. I left to go get a load of hay (1300 pound alfalfa rounds I bought for winter feeding), when I came back with a load (about 1 PM) I saw a black "blob" laying in the field and all the other cattle were in the shade. Went out to check, and there she was, dead but limber still (I picked up her head to verify who I knew it was by the ear tag- it was hot and 88 degrees so no rigor had set in yet). Dang, that hurts!
So I call the vet looking for option to dispose (none out by us, BTW), and he asked if there was Johnson Grass around.This little tuff below, is all that is in there ! The question is, is that enough to kill a cow?
I figured she had a stroke or heart attack. , like she was trying to get up but collapsed in the process. I avesdid not want to post her, more expense and what would I learn? Nothing that will bring her back for sure.....
But now I am gun shy about the Johnson grass. It was tall, taller than 5 feet I bet... and they ate the tops off of it. I thought it was only toxic at the bottom?
look at the blades, they will be white Powdery looking....
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:46 am

With prussic acid poisoning the mucous membranes go a bright red or scarlet colour. Did you notice the colour of her mucous membranes?

It takes a bit to burn them, years ago we had a lion park near us and they would come and take the deaduns, very handy.

Sorry about losing her.

Ken
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:45 am

I liked Mulan. Great disposition and nice, big long cow. I also have one of her offspring - Cricket.

She is one of my favorites but you got so many nice cows. Faith, Summer, Elsa, On-nah. I have had Summer, On-nah and Elsa here. Cannot leave out big Hazel. Gem, Bling, etc.

Mulan was a great one but one in over 10 years is beating the odds. I have had cows on this farm for going on 9 years and lost 2.

Condolences. She was a sweet lady.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:06 am

Is this what y'all are calling Johnson grass? I have it all over and the cows eat it good till it goes to seed.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:23 am

True Grit Farms wrote:Image
Is this what y'all are calling Johnson grass? I have it all over and the cows eat it good till it goes to seed.

Yep, that's Johnson grass
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:24 am

If the Johnson grass was that tall and had seed heads it should be safe. PA will form in young new growth from heavily stressed plants. Nitrates will form in the stalks lower third, of heavily stressed and heavily fertilized plants.

The plant you showed looks grazed. That plant in dry conditions..then receiving rain will put up new green shoots from the base. This is where PA will be at high levels. In these conditions give 10 days of growth. Or even better wait till it boots. A sure sign of adequate growth.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

NolanCountyAG
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NolanCountyAG » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:45 pm

Why would you burn a cow? Buzzards and worms got to eat as well. I'll usually just drag them where I can see them from the road and shoot coyotes off them for awhile
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”